Show your JBLs off

Excellent examples of vintage JBL. STP's L300 pictures do a good job of showing the size of the LE85 horns, but everyone should see some 375 horns in person...they absolutely dwarf the '85s. The drivers are almost the size of basketballs.

I have an S7R driver set that I'm going to add some 077 tweeters to, build some custom cabinets for, and tri-amp with an active crossover. I also have a set of '69 vintage S8R Olympus. They're ridiculously good sounding speakers, IMHO. A sonic wet-dream especially for Jazz and the like.

-Brian

Attachments

• s8rolympus.jpg
    s8rolympus.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 548
  • system.jpg
    system.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 354
  • DSC02076.JPG
    DSC02076.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 391
I concur with Brad. Thanks everyone for sharing big and small alike (there's a pair of L-110's in the house that are always worth a listen to). Chichocki, you are spot-on about the 375's! They are friggin' huge! But seriously, I believe a lot of us, just got hooked by that west coast 'JBL Sound'. It may not be 'polite', but it's usually clean, detailed and powerful. Yah, baby! :banana:

PS: Brad, thanks for sharing the history of your L-300 clones!

"I have an S7R driver set that I'm going to add some 077 tweeters to, build some custom cabinets for, and tri-amp with an active crossover. I also have a set of '69 vintage S8R Olympus. They're ridiculously good sounding speakers, IMHO. A sonic wet-dream especially for Jazz and the like."

I'll bet.........those look YUMMY :banana:

I really should take some better pictures of my JBL assortment.
L110: picture taken by shop when they were in for new surrounds;
4612OK: I couldn't pass up a good deal on these and haven't decided what I will do with them. By themselves, they don't go very low.
C51 Apollo with LE14C: Some day, I'd like to try a different set of drivers in these cabinets.
I also have a rough looking pair of L20T's that I haven't photographed

Attachments

• JBL L110 a.jpg
    JBL L110 a.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCN0051.jpg
    DSCN0051.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 292
  • DSCN1157.jpg
    DSCN1157.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 214
I've heard that the L166's sound real nice. How would the compare to a set of L100's or some L65 Jubals? Just wondering, I may feel the need to grab another set of JBL's. Thanks, Brad

I haven't heard the L100s or L65s but I cannot imagine them sounding better, possibly different. They made a believer out of me.

I myself own four JBL L-65 Jubals since new.

Here's something that may interest some of you, that are perhaps looking for the JBL sound, as this is a custom speaker manufacturer in Colorado that makes their own custom cabinets, and the cabinets are designed for JBL Pro Drivers.

The name of the Company is Gold Sound. I'm sorry I don't have the link right now, but I'm sure a simple search will pull up their site. Some very nice kits indeed.
Mark

I just picked up a set of L-166's today.....immediately after I sold my 901's this am :banana: . I hooked the little JBL's up and was pleased how much better they sounded! They are pretty much my "temp" speakers until I can locate a set of 250Ti's :tears: . I also have access of buying a set of L-100's, but the guy is very hard to hook up with. I too would like to hear if the L-100's are better sounding than the 166's.

Jeff M said:
I also have access of buying a set of L-100's, but the guy is very hard to hook up with. I too would like to hear if the L-100's are better sounding than the 166's.

Get them, If the price is right :yes:

$400 OBO........but that means cheaper. I will have to see what condition of course. What is a good price to offer for a nice set? :confused:

cadillacdoc said:
Part of restored collection with 250ti, L100, Jubals and a painted white beast to be restored (Re-veneered) in the future

I really like the Quad Advents in the back!

I believe these are the only JBL's I have left at the moment!
S312BE first gen not the II model that was made a little cheaper.
Of'cource I've upgraded the mids to the vifa aroegel mids and replaced the
tweeters with klipsch a while back to match my Klipsch RC-7 center channel better!

Oh yes they are now biwire/biampable with external passive xovers for the woofers.

Attachments

• s312be_800.JPG
    s312be_800.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 185
Mine are a work in progress

Currently have a pair of SVA1800's in my living room being fed by an Adcom gfa-5800. My family room has a pair of L46's I just put back together. I have a pair of Control 5's coming to me as we speak which will need some TLC. Don;t know if can count them but I have 2 pair of JBL Power 6x8's in my Crown Victoria :D as well!

Yank

Bigyank said:
Currently have a pair of SVA1800's in my living room being fed by an Adcom gfa-5800. My family room has a pair of L46's I just put back together. I have a pair of Control 5's coming to me as we speak which will need some TLC. Don;t know if can count them but I have 2 pair of JBL Power 6x8's in my Crown Victoria :D as well!

Yank

Just like to here how you like the L46's

Ron

Jbl L46

I like them. Not much on the bottom end, IMO, but overall a very easy listening pair of speakers. I settled on a pair of stands totalling 13 inches in high and have the speakers about 12 feet apart. I made my stands out of some 2x10 I had laying around and since they are not painted yet, no pics!

My only beef, which is cosmetic in nature is that when I went through the process of redoing the surrounds (got it right the first time :D ), I found out one woofer was DOA. Found a replacement 117H-1 on Ebay, got it in the house and redid the surround on this one (AFTER testing it, I am learning :D ).

The "new" one, dated 1982 (originals are dated 1983), has a different external frame! The circumference is 1/4 inch smaller though it uses the same cone, etc.

Bottom line, they are definite keepers.

Yank

I have mine on 15" stands and they put out some good bass for a 8"ers mine have had new surrounds put on and now the woofer pushes some air :thmbsp:

Ron

Back
Top Bottom