Showing Off My New Vacuum Router Fixture

elcoholic

Jet Fuel Genius
Subscriber
After a few years hiatus I'm doing a run of elcoholic's nearly world famous mirrored cartridge alignment protractors (they'll be in B/T and shipping in a week or so). Anyway my old fixture to route the recess for the mirror was shot. It was slow and was too small to use a big router making it even slower. I built a new one that uses a vacuum clamping table. It works fantastically. Here's the pics.

IMG_0104.jpg IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0107.jpg IMG_0108.jpg IMG_0109.jpg IMG_0110.jpg

As requested here's more pics. Here the oversized blanks are pattern routed to shape and the edges are profiled in one step using a vacuum pattern.
IMG_2588.jpg IMG_2603.jpg

Today they were drilled for the 1/2" OD nylon bushings. Then the all important branding. The iron was originally hand held but it gets pretty hot and it's hard to get an even brand. Now I mount in my drill press. After that I started the standing.
IMG_0117.JPG

not even sure why i need this, or how to use it.

but i want one.

Here's the why? Most protractors assume that the cantilever is parallel to the side of the cartridge body and align the cartridge accordingly. That’s not always the case and even if it is, it can be difficult to get a clear view and know you’re sighting down the side of the cartridge correctly. Enter my mirror protractor. It relies on the principal of parallax to ensure that the sight picture is correct. Also the cantilever is aligned instead of the cartridge body, correcting any misalignment due to the cantilever being out of parallel with the cartridge body. All that is required is that the vertical alignment is correct. When sighting along the cantilever any misalignment will be seen as 3 lines - the scribed line, it's reflection and the reflection of the cantilever. When the cantilever, the scribed line and the eye are all in proper alignment there's just one line. No parallax = perfect alignment. They are used just like a paper 2 point protractor.

IMG_2632.jpg

There are other mirror protractors available some are painted or silk screened and the lines are so wide there's no reflection of a narrow cantilever. Others are just a decal stuck on the mirror. Mine are unique in that I hand scribe very fine alignment lines with a diamond into the glass mirror which is let into a plywood base. The nylon bushings are precision reamed to fit a Thorens spindle. They are made maintain accuracy and last indefinitely.

Attachments

• IMG_2632.jpg
    IMG_2632.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 26
Here's the why? Most protractors assume that the cantilever is parallel to the side of the cartridge body and align the cartridge accordingly. That’s not always the case and even if it is, it can be difficult to get a clear view and know you’re sighting down the side of the cartridge correctly. Enter my mirror protractor. It relies on the principal of parallax to ensure that the sight picture is correct. Also the cantilever is aligned instead of the cartridge body, correcting any misalignment due to the cantilever being out of parallel with the cartridge body. All that is required is that the vertical alignment is correct. When sighting along the cantilever any misalignment will be seen as 3 lines - the scribed line, it's reflection and the reflection of the cantilever. When the cantilever, the scribed line and the eye are all in proper alignment there's just one line. No parallax = perfect alignment. They are used just like a paper 2 point protractor.

View attachment 1007836

There are other mirror protractors available some are painted or silk screened and the lines are so wide there's no reflection of a narrow cantilever. Others are just a decal stuck on the mirror. Mine are unique in that I hand scribe very fine alignment lines with a diamond into the glass mirror which is let into a plywood base. The nylon bushings are precision reamed to fit a Thorens spindle. They are made maintain accuracy and last indefinitely.
amazingly, i happen to have a thorens table (126 mk3) i don't change carts regularly, but still, how much will this marvel cost?

Can you post two pics, one with the parallax and one without?

Here you go.

Parallax - note the scribed line and it's reflection are both visible.
IMG_6587.jpg

No parallax - The scribed line obscures it's reflexion when the eye is lined up correctly. When the stylus is also aligned it's spot on.
IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0140.JPG Today was monotony day at the drill press. Drilling the nylon bushings to 9/32" and then reaming to a hair over final spindle diameter. They are a PITA - clamp too tight they deform, not tight enough they spin and melt. Meanwhile they get a little tacky and grab the bit. Made a new block with screw points to bite into them. Worked great. Did a bag of 100!

Back
Top Bottom