Shuffling Speakers...

silversport

...anyone shuffle speakers between their music systems???...I do from time to time...today I decided to take a pair of Klipsch RB-5s that are bi-wired and bi-amped out from a system run by one of the Panasonic digital receivers set up for stereo...(SA-XR55)...

I had this system set up to try to hear the differences that bi-wiring and bi-amping might make to my listening experience...I felt like I heard the tiniest of volume bump and a bit more detail but not enough to proclaim "A New Beginning"
clear.png

I recently found myself without any stereo with the ability to play my old vinyl records and was able to re-acquire a somewhat neglected Nakamichi SR-2...cleaned the pots with DeOxit (highly recommend THIS product after several false starts with other brands failing) and listened through updated (Bob Crites crossover rebuilds and Titanium tweeter diaphragms) kg2s I bought in 1987 or so...

I decided to switch the kg2s with my RB-5s...90.5 dB to 96dB efficiency and a decade between manufacture...

the RB-5s sound very clean with the Nakamichi...listening to vinyl...lots of detail...I listened to the same album with the kg2s and then the RB-5s...the RB-5s sound more detailed (despite the kgs sounding fine) and of course louder at the same volume steering because of the efficiency...

Just now listening to some Pink Floyd The Endless River and they are sounding sweet as well...I'm guessing the higher power of the Panasonic 100wpc trumps the more modest 30wpc...

Bill

Last edited:
was listening to my EICO HF-81 with Quartets and of course it sounds wonderful but changing them to RB-5s I wasn't digging the Phono Section as much...the Nakamichi Phono Section sounds better to me through the RB-5s than the Quartets do...

Good luck with your choice in speaker shuffling...it's nice to have choices.

Bill

I Have KLF 30's, Belles,AS-1348's, 501's(series III), 601's(series IV), 901's(series 1 & IV) and Multiple Amps(SS & Tube) and Receivers all in My Living Room for Now.

I will change Out Speakers and Amps several times a Day sometimes. :thumbsup:

,Mike. :smoke:

i have speaker & amp selectors in my main room so i switch them around quite a bit without having to move much except my Fortes and Chevoits which go in the same spot so i need to lug those around ( Cheviots are front ported so sometimes i just put them in front of the Fortes ). i also swap the rear speakers on my quad set up once in a while . i usually switch my bedroom speakers every 6 months or so.

My Cornwall II's have pads on the bottom of them, so it's easy to slide them out into another room when I want to listen to my other main pair, KLH Model 5's. Completely different presentation from the CW's, yet both play really nice with my main amp, a pair of Dynaco MKIII's.

I like Hsu subwoofers but if you really like your Quartets you may want to consider some RB-5s/RB-5 ll (differences were a marketing partnership with Mon$ter wire and choices of real wood veneered cabinets) so you can keep that Klipsch sound...they usually are in the $300 range depending on condition since they are no longer made...

I ended up selling some of my stuff too but I still have Klipsch KSB 1.1s, RB-5s, kg2s, Heresys, Quartets and Chorus lls for mains... ;)

Good luck with your choice...

Bill

I like to listen to a pair of speakers for about a week (if they sound good) before going back to my "always setup" Cornwall IIs and Heresy IIs. Smaller speakers get stacked onto the Heresys and larger are positioned in front of them. I remember helping a friend audition some Klipsch Reference speakers several years ago. He went in thinking he wanted RF3IIs and ended up prefering the RB5IIs. They were impressive. I would like to find a pair to add to my stable.

Back
Top Bottom