1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Shun Mook discs: Review

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews & Opinions' started by MikE, Apr 6, 2003.

1. MikE

MikE Color Me Gone

Assuming all of the participants have concluded their trial with the Shun Mook discs I will report my observations. While it has been some time since I "listened" to them that will not hinder my ability to report on my findings. I found the Shun Mook discs to have ZERO effect on the presentation in my system.

Context: I only spent one [1] week with them and used them on the following equipment. One each on both of my speaker cabinets, all three on my PLC and three on my tube amp. You may have seen pictures of the latter two configurations. I did "play around" with various positions and combos for the pucks but was unable to observe any enhancement from their use. I did feel that the speakers benefited from them but was unable to repeat this with any consistancy.

I had little to no prior knowledge of the Shun Mook products though I was aware of the controversy surrounding them and knew a few advocates of the "technology" imployed. This was my first exposure with this product. I believe in resonance and isolation devices, and have found those to have a effect, if not always a positive one. I found the Shun Mook discs to enhance the image of my gear in a very positive manner.

MikE

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

Well in my trial Of the shun Mooks I used them on a Sota Saphire, Kenwood KR9600 and a Kenwood CeeDee player I had laying around. Honestly I heard not one bit of difference so I called Punker over to see if I was missing the boat. He agreed with my finding. Just to give them another chance I let my Son who has ears that I trust more then mine or almost anyone else give them a listen. I was pleased to hear that he noticed not one bit of difference as well. Conclusion? Either my gear or ears was not good enough to utilize them or .....

Grumpy

3. gonefishin

gonefishin Super Member

Dang, been a while since I've had them.

I first tried them atop my speakers. I noticed no change in sound. I also tried them on top of my CDp and amp with the same results.

I would like to thank both Brian and Kam for the opportunity to give these disks a try...thank you!

4. JoZmo

JoZmo Super Member

I evaluated the Shun Mooks for a total of about 5 hours spread out over 3 days in my system.
    First I tried them on my speaker cabinets and noticed no difference.
    Next, I tried them on my CDP and my turntable.
    I thought I noticed a difference in the low end, more bass punch and better all around definition in sound. But as is the case with these things, tweaks, cables and such, I just couldn't be sure. Was it just my mind playing tricks or not.
    So I've decided, that if the differences are so subtle that I can't be sure, then I have to conclude that there was no change.

Thanks Brian for the opportunity to try them.

5. Kamakiri

Kamakiri The New Dynamic

My first contact with the Shun Mooks was over at ProAc's house, where we tried them on his system. I'll let him post about that experience.

Since I've had them back, I decided for the heck of it to place them on the inside of the throat of my 511B horns. It seemed to smooth out the highs and eliminate a lot of the characteristic ringing of the horns. I haven't played around with them on my TT yet, but plan to when I get a chance.

6. Thatch_Ear

Thatch_Ear Addicted Member

I did not put these on my speakers as one has a larege ebony sculpture on it and the other a hefty sculture made from Ash wood. I over a period of 4 days with a total of at least 10 hours and using Vocals, Rock and full orchestra Classical tried them in different configurations repeatedly on my CDP and 300B SET. I noticed no change for better or worse during all of my listening. In other words they changed nothing that I could hear.

7. BrianB

BrianB AK Vendor Emeritus Moderator

Aw, c'mon, Kam! You were the first person to post a (now deleted) review of the Shun Mooks here at AudioKarma, and your description of the surprising difference they made in ProAc's system was lots of fun to read (at least for me!). Why not give it up one more time for the mpingo discs?

Happy listening,
    Brian

8. Kamakiri

Kamakiri The New Dynamic

Sure, I can do that but I thought Pro would want to post, since it was his system.

This is back when he had the DQ-10s and Phase Linear gear. We tried the Shun Mooks over the transport of his Pioneer Elite CD player, and on the tone arm board of his Linn TT....and we both looked at each other. I said, "am I nuts, or did I just hear a huge change in the midrange?"

He said "No, I hear it too." :eek:

The one thing that I noticed with his system that there seemed to be a resonance of some kind in his upper midrange, With the Shun Mooks, the resonance was completely gone, and it seemed to clean up the audio considerably. I think this was the first time Pro and I met, and we just looked in disbelief at these little discs. When I bought this set for trial, I thought (as did many) that they were some form of audio hocus pocus. For what I heard, they made a considerable improvement. It wasn't something subtle that we had to listen for either, it was just.....there.

Don't forget that the surface that your gear is sitting on will have some effect for the sound as well.

9. ProAc_Fan

ProAc_Fan Addicted Member

Yep I concur with Kam's assesment. We tried them atop my Pioneer DV-09 DVD/CD player. I was really shocked to hear the midrange seem to open up. The difference was palpable. Rememebr too this is a 40lb DVD player. Not some poorly isolated 12lb weenie. We tried them on the arm board of my Linn table with somewhat similar results. The effect was most pronounced in the midrange frequencies. Before there was an audible resonance through the DQ-10's which disappeared with the use of the Shun Mooks. I went into the listening tests with zero preconceived notions and had never used any anti resonance or isolation devices before. Kam and I were hearing the exact same thing. I almost wish I could have kept them longer. If I was to purchase a set I'd be using them on my TT. Of course if Brian wants to send me a set for a LONG trial evaluation I'm more than game.:D

Mike

10. Kamakiri

Kamakiri The New Dynamic

C'mon over and grab them the next time I see you. You can have them for a while if you like.

11. ProAc_Fan

ProAc_Fan Addicted Member

Cool thanks buddy. I'll probably be seeing you on Thursday. I gotta pick up that Mitsu pre for Rob too.

Mike

12. Grumpy

Grumpy Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma Staff Member Admin Sponsor Subscriber

I will try to have that Marantz to you by then Pro.

Grumpy

13. Thatch_Ear

I am not joking in this or putting down a product. get some hockey pucks and try the same thing with them. I bought some to use as feet under my 300B amp and they do seem to have a dampening quality about them. I dind try using them as I had the shun mooks, with the same results, maybe you can get something out of them and they are onli $1 ea.
    I plan on using them under speaker spikes as I thing the density will absorb vibration and not allow it to pass. They sure are cheap enough.

14. THOR

THOR Fearless Prophet

I think Thatch was hitting the sauce again last night, as I read a few of his posts this morning his spelling and grammar have been way off. Like his typing is slurred :p:

15. Thatch_Ear

Not even a beer Thor. It was more a lack of sleep thing, though a beer would have been nice. Sorry I put you through 3 mistakes. dind= did onli=only thing=think

16. THOR

THOR Fearless Prophet

Now don't get defensive they say thats the first sign of alcoholism :p:

17. BrianB

Hey, Thatch!

I have no doubt that your hockey pucks can indeed a difference. But the difference will not be of the same kind, nor will it be for the same reasons. Why?

As I've noted before, there are a number of ways to control vibrations, including (1) isolating a component from outside vibrations, (2) damping a component, or trying to "tame" self-generated vibrations, and (3) "tuning" the resonant frequency of a component's self-generated vibrations.

Given the composition and weight of your hockey pucks, they would seem to fall in Category 2. But the Shun Mook Mpingo Discs very neatly fit within Category 3. Apples and oranges, in my opinion.

Bottom line: While both "devices" can be quite effective, their effects will be quite different, as will be their range of applications.

Happy listening!

18. Thatch_Ear

Brian, my experiments with the hockey pucks yielded the same results as the Mpingo discs only I was able to use them for feet under my amp afterwards.
    I am not saying that they won't do what they are supposed to, just that they didn't do a thing for the sound of my gear. My CDP was isolated and my amp probably doesn't need to be and I don't use a TT.

Thor, did your parents have any children that lived?:D

19. BrianB

Don't forget that the Shun Mook discs are not isolation devices - they are resonance control devices.

After reading your posts again last night, I dug an old hockey puck out of our basement and put it on one of my CD players in place of the Mpingo disc. To my ears, the music lost a bit of tonal richness, and some of the air around the instruments disappeared. In other words, the sound became somewhat dull and closed-in with the hockey puck.

It might be nice to include a hockey puck or two with the Shun Mook review samples from now on. That way, fellow AKers can do this comparison for themselves...

Cheers!

20. THOR

THOR Fearless Prophet

Besides me?? Unfortunately Yes, I have a brother :(