Shure Cart ID

ahartig

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Was hoping a fellow AK expert could ID this cart for me. Thx in advance!!

Attachments

• 3C0CF030-8E87-4C77-8C8C-072F201EFF4B.jpeg
    3C0CF030-8E87-4C77-8C8C-072F201EFF4B.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 108
  • AEEBA5DE-AAB4-4F8A-A2C1-B9E735BD565C.jpeg
    AEEBA5DE-AAB4-4F8A-A2C1-B9E735BD565C.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 105
  • A11546F3-3214-4FC4-8DBF-2137FC3978FD.jpeg
    A11546F3-3214-4FC4-8DBF-2137FC3978FD.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 106
Was hoping a fellow AK expert could ID this cart for me. Thx in advance!!

That's one of the most versatile cartridges Shure made. You can still get styli for it that can track from .75 grams all the way up to 5 grams making it useful in just about any tone-arm.

That's one of the most versatile cartridges Shure made. You can still get styli for it that can track from .75 grams all the way up to 5 grams making it useful in just about any tone-arm.

Sounds like a keeper. Any stylus you recommend that would “sound” the best in your opinion?

It’s on a Kenwood kd3055 right now. But I might move it over to a denon dp 62l soon.

The dp 62l currently has a nice m91ed

other styli that will plug into that body, and give a very good account of itself, would be the NDC series, Ne95ED (note the small e) the 8X, etc. they look different than original grip but perform well.

Why complicate things? The position of the magnets in the stylus assembly in those other models may not be the same as the N75 series

JICO tailors each stylus to a specific cartridge. The N75 series of styli, N75HE, N75ED, N75C, N75-6 all work perfectly in any M75 cartridge body.

Last edited:
Why complicate things? The position of the magnets in the stylus assembly in those other models may not be the same as the N75 series

JICO tailors each stylus to a specific cartridge. The N75 series of styli, N75HE, N75ED, N75C, N75-6 all work perfectly in any M75 cartridge body.

all could be true. however, was pointing out other styli that work in that body. There was a thread on this subject about "under the radar" styli for use in the M75/91 bodies. The Ne95, and NDC were the consensus choice. betting the only difference between the two is color of grip.

FWIW I have an M91 running the N91ED with great success and low cost. That Denon you may consider the Ortofon Blue we spoke about. I think it will be tad harder to align (for me anyway) but sounds amazing. Better yet would likely be to spring for the DL 110 for the TT. You are going to end up spending more for the dust cover than the cart / stylus otherwise.

(I have some inside info on this, info not in thread, sorry all for confusing it)

all could be true. however, was pointing out other styli that work in that body. There was a thread on this subject about "under the radar" styli for use in the M75/91 bodies. The Ne95, and NDC were the consensus choice. betting the only difference between the two is color of grip.

The NDC is a later generation cartridge than the M75 series, the differences may be subtle but they are there.

I take "consensus" with a grain of salt. It used to be the consensus that the less expensive EVG styli were exactly the same as those offered by JICO, but after examining several samples of each, I discovered that this was not the case at all.

Of course you can mix and match styli and cartridges from different generations but there is no definitive proof that these random combinations are any better than what the designers originally intended.

Well, I have the choice of using the following carts on a newly acquired Denon DP-62L, wondering what the AK experts think would be a good fit:
  • Shure M75 with N75HE
  • Shure M91ed (currently mounted)
  • Grado Blue Prestige
  • Ortofon 2M Red
  • Or..... I could go all out and get the Ortofon 2M blue stylus for the red cart.

Well, I have the choice of using the following carts on a newly acquired Denon DP-62L, wondering what the AK experts think would be a good fit:
  • Shure M75 with N75HE
  • Shure M91ed (currently mounted)
  • Grado Blue Prestige
  • Ortofon 2M Red
  • Or..... I could go all out and get the Ortofon 2M blue stylus for the red cart.
the M75 with HE stylus is quite a cart.

It used to be the consensus that the less expensive EVG styli were exactly the same as those offered by JICO...

Don't know about comparison to JICO, but my $13 EVG stylus on my Radio Shack "rebadged" M75 cartridge sounds really good on my Kenwood KD5070. Far better than a $13 stylus has any right to sound!

Back
Top Bottom