Shure M97xe and straight cantilevers

Bigboi33

Dazed and Confused
I have a friend looking to order a new Shure M97xe. He is aware of the quality control issues and that many of them have slightly skewed cantilevers. Can anyone shine some light on the best place to purchase one? A vendor that has a good track record or possibly willing to check and be sure the cantilever is straight prior to shipping? I'm thinking the best place will be Amazon? They have a good return/exchange policy, no?
Thank in advance for any advice!

Any advice? OK, here it goes. Don't! Just tell him to not order it. IMO it's not only the QC issues, it's the whole deal. It's just a mediocre entry level cart that doesn't live up to the reputation of the former members of the Shure Stereodynetic series of carts such as the M95ED and the M75ED/M91ED. Sorry!

I've recently came across an el-cheapo Chinese made entry level Audio-Technica cart (CN5625AL) that happened to be attached to the tip of a used Bogen turntable TA I had acquired. I disregarded it at first but after some turntable TLC and adjustments it started to shine at 2.0g VTF. Last I checked that AT cart costs a tad over twenty dollars on the bay. It mops the floor with my M97XE and I am not even saying it's a good cart. It's just entry level and costs a quarter of the Shure.

A good cart would be an Ortofon FF15E. Ortfon got the sound features Shure were trying to get with the M97xE right. It's lush, detailed and balanced and one can obtain such cart in an auction on the bay for as little as $40 which is still a fraction of the cost of a new M97XE. There are plenty of stock styli available and cheaper replacements are abundant too.

There are plenty others. Tell your friend to avoid the M97xE mistake. My view on it is it ain't worth the money and is disappointing!

Although Shure had some initial QC issues with stylus construction, I have not heard of any recent issues and believe these problems have been addressed. I have not personally experienced any issues with the M97xe or several replacement styli purchased for other cartridges. The Shure M97xe also tracks very well at 1.25 grams and sounds very good as long as it is loaded properly. Some have noticed a rolled of high frequency content due to capacitance loading. I find the performance comparable to most vintage Shure cartridges with the exception of the V15 series.

Thanks all!

If I could steer him away I would. He loves the M97xe. Sadly, he mistakenly forgot to remove it from a turntable he was selling. It was used for testing purposes for the buyer and they both got caught up with in conversation. By the time my buddy realized that he didn't misplace the cartridge but actually "mistakenly gave it away" it was long gone. He tried to contact the buyer without any response and has been remorseful ever since. I tried to let him sample my Grado Silver, AT95HE, and Nagaoka MP110 but it was a no go for him. He still prefers the Shure as in his system it gives a balanced presentation that he likes.

He originally bought from Amazon but I don't know how they are with accepting returns on phono cartridges. I've always gone through my dealer who I would happily recommend to him, but he doesn't carry Shure.

I got mine through Amazon and the way to know how they deal with returns on any particular item is to click on the "return policy" link. It's usually somewhere on the item page... not 100% sure. If you can't find any information on the amazon page itself, you can call Amazon and ask.

I have two M97xE's and they both have straight cantilevers. I recently bought a NOS Shure M44G, original, Made In USA and the cantilever was slightly askew. With a microscope and a pair of tweezers, I nudged it square.

Since the one local Shure dealer around my area closed up, I've been buying my N97xE styli through Amazon and have not had any problems. I, too, am a fan of its sound and performance. After some initial experimentation, I found the M97xE to be a perfect fit for my Rega RP3, other equipment, and ears. As long as Shure keeps making replacement styli, I don't expect to ever remove the M97xE from my turntable.

Felix, come home all is forgiven.

And may we be forgiven also.

Ha ha, yeah...good ole Felix...he sure loved that M97xe.

I bought my first M97xe when they were just introduced. It cost a bundle and didn't come with any accessories or the fancy box. I bought it through my local Mom and Pop music center and they had to order it from Shure at the Hartrey Avenue address and have it drop-shipped to them (didn't have a computer back then so I had to go through my local authorized Shure dealer). Still thought it was a bargain, still have it and still enjoy it.

Nowadays if I need one I just go through eBay. I bought one from a reputable supplier in NYC via eBay to put in a Thorens TD-125 II that I restored a few years ago for a freind and the cart turned out to be a lemon (one channel low and muffled). They paid for return shipping and sent me a new one right away. I've ordered quite a few M97xe carts for people over the years and other than that one I've never had a problem but maybe I'm just lucky. Personally I think it's a great cart for the money, but I also really like pretty much every Audio Technica cartridge they make too...I don't think they know how to make a bad one!

Hopefully the 1st one is A-OK

If not... try try again. It is worth it

Amazon is a good way to go because of the no hassle return

Ha ha, yeah...good ole Felix...he sure loved that M97xe.

Yes, he did;) and from what I recall he had the M97xE down to a freakin' science - I know he went well above my head with it and probably if the real truth was known he could make it sound like a cartridge costing 10X or more what it actually sells for.
I do know that there's more than likely a very knowledgeable database about that cart here on AK because of him, if it didn't get wiped with the forum change.

I think the problem with the M97xE is the stock stylus. Even when the is thing is straight it produces a dull but smooth sound. I never liked it. Put a VividLine replacement on it and becomes clear and smooth and very nice. If I couldn't afford that I'd find something else. A Jico of some kind.

I think the problem with the M97xE is the stock stylus. Even when the is thing is straight it produces a dull but smooth sound. I never liked it. Put a VividLine replacement on it and becomes clear and smooth and very nice. If I couldn't afford that I'd find something else. A Jico of some kind.

I got a Jico SAS for the M97xE & for a M91ED before the price shot up. Like them both. M97xE might be a bit bright w/ the SAS..... but my system leans that way.

My buddy has been going through some financial hardships lately. Hence, why he has been selling off all his extra gear. All he really has left now is his beloved Klipsch Quartets, Marantz 2285, ARXA Turntable, and a cheap DVD player. Sadly all the really nice stuff he kicked his butt for is gone. Long story how he ended up there. Let's just say s*** happens.

I know most of us go through rough patches like this at some point in our lives and eventually recover from the all the bad. Me however, I can't help but feel bad for the guy. So, I decided to make this a gift for him. This afternoon I went ahead and placed an order for him through Amazon. According to my order, it should be here in 2days. If there are any issues, I have their spectacular return policy.

Personally, I would love to purchase through the other audio sites and support them. But the truth is Shure is still working to rebuild their QC reputation Don't want to hurt the smaller companies that work so hard to feed our audio addiction. Until then, I will have to rely on big business that don't get hurt badly from a return.

Crossing my fingers everything goes well and I receive a straight cantilever.

A big thanks to all of you for your input!

My buddy has been going through some financial hardships lately. Hence, why he has been selling off all his extra gear. All he really has left now is his beloved Klipsch Quartets, Marantz 2285, ARXA Turntable, and a cheap DVD player. Sadly all the really nice stuff he kicked his butt for is gone. Long story how he ended up there. Let's just say s*** happens.

I know most of us go through rough patches like this at some point in our lives and eventually recover from the all the bad. Me however, I can't help but feel bad for the guy. So, I decided to make this a gift for him. This afternoon I went ahead and placed an order for him through Amazon. According to my order, it should be here in 2days. If there are any issues, I have their spectacular return policy.

Personally, I would love to purchase through the other audio sites and support them. But the truth is Shure is still working to rebuild their QC reputation Don't want to hurt the smaller companies that work so hard to feed our audio addiction. Until then, I will have to rely on big business that don't get hurt badly from a return.

Very nice! Hopefully it comes in with no issues. It will play nicely on the AR/ Marantz combo. The cartridges high frequency roll off may actually be a perfect match for Klipsch speakers, which tend to be bright. Synergy is most important.

good luck, Bob

you're a good friend...

^ This review is fine. It is what most of us say it is, a decent entry level product. If the high frequency roll off sounds appealing in your system that is great. For me it leaves me wanting. No mention of the Quality issues but they are real and well documented.

I like it with a more refined stylus installed. I also like having the stabilizer brush option.

An M97XE with a Jico HE is very good and a very cost effective way to squeeze the best out of that cartridge body.

M~

I have a friend looking to order a new Shure M97xe. He is aware of the quality control issues and that many of them have slightly skewed cantilevers. Can anyone shine some light on the best place to purchase one? A vendor that has a good track record or possibly willing to check and be sure the cantilever is straight prior to shipping? I'm thinking the best place will be Amazon? They have a good return/exchange policy, no?

Find a used M97xe CART cheap on the auction sites and just pop a LP Gear replacement stylus on it. Cheaper and sounds better too ;)

Back
Top Bottom