Shure M97xe and straight cantilevers

While we are on the subject, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to this awesome review of the M97xE, kind of an old school review that pretty much tells it like it is with this cartridge:

http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/vinyl/turntable-accessories/shure-m97xe-phono-cartridge-review/

Spoiler alert: the reviewer thinks it's a great cartridge and backs it up with real data, not just esoteric audiophile bombast.

This review was brought to us by @RichPA in post #107 in the following thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/m97xe-im-on-board.726378/

I think the first review is rather good. But IMO it is too positive. And the needle cut is of course not any 0,2x0,7.

I've got horn tweeters, so the roll off is not an issue. There are times when I appreciate a more subdued top end, and, it's also very clear. I can detect almost no haze or overdriven peaks. Shure audiophile cartridges, as opposed to the DJ cartridges, can be faulted for being too smooth and the roll off is part of that smoothness. An M97xE would never replace one of my slamming Stantons or Pickerings. I even feel the V15-VMR is a bit too smooth for me sometimes. I liken the sound to the experience of seeing a show with a top notch sound system like, for example, the House of Blues. Sounds great, but that nitty gritty blues glass against steel sound gets filtered out.

On the other hand, I've got an Expert Stylus Co. sapphire cantilever and Paratrace tip that takes the M97xE off into other worlds. Because of that experience, I might actually recommend the $299 sapphire/line contact from Sound Smith, which would probably sound just as good and continue to operate within original specified VTF forces, which my Expert Stylus stylus does not (requires about 2g not to be sibilant).

One of the many reason my buddy adores his M97xe. He is a horn guy and in his system it works very well with very little issues. Heck, I'm thinking of getting one myself for everyday use. I like the performance value and how it presents the music.

While compared to others on AK and this thread I am as a child when it comes to technical knowledge however having said that I have always been lucky where it comes to my turntables. My first the Dual 1009 with the Shure M95ED, the Sanyo TP 825D to my now Hitachi PS-58 all great tables. The last two I have had the M97XE mounted and have absolutely no complaints, no QC problems and no bent cantilevers.
Again I am far from being an expert but for my money I'll take the M97XE every time. It just feels right to my ears.

Update:
The cartridge arrived from Amazon with everything looking nice. The cantilever is nice and straight. Zero issues that I am aware of. I took it over to my buddy's house this past weekend and needless to say he was super happy with a slightly watery eye. We sat down and talked for bit before spending some time setting up the cartridge. Once everything was set we enjoyed a few records while grilling up some wings. I have to say it was some time well spent with an old friend.

Thank again to all for all the great comments and advice!

Fantastic, a very cool thing to do. It's a terrible feeling when you realize that you've accidentally given away something you really wanted to keep (BTDT). Not having the funds to replace it feels even worse. Having a good friend who's got your back is priceless!

Back
Top Bottom