Shure M97xE vs Ortofon 2M Red - yet another stupid question

Get a SAS stylus for the Shure. I did and it opened it up and made it a giant killer IMO.

I am a big fan of the M97xE. I have the original stylus, the LPGear VL stylus, and the Jico SAS stylus. I am using the Jico SAS stylus, and it is my current favorite.

In my system, the AT440 mlb, any Ortofon I have ever heard, the Hana high output -- they are all beat by the M97xE/ Jico SAS combo.

Still -- you are talking about a $100 cartridge with a $200 stylus. That is more expensive than many good competitors. I will recommend it to anyone with the budget, but the Hana cartridges that I've used are the only ones more expensive than my M97xE/ Jico SAS combo.

There may be giants that it beats, but I think getting the best out of a Shure M97xE is a pay-to-play no different than quality AT or Ortofon MM cartridges.

While I don't own an M97 I have plenty experience with it from installing and adjusting them for customers. I like the smooth accurate sound from them. The Ortofon Red is similar to the old OM10 Super and a very good $100 cartridge, plus the upgrade pathway is easy. I would be happy using either cartridge but lean toward the Ortofon.

Shure is existing the cartridge business. I recently asked someone who works at Shure (their HQ is nearby) why they were leaving and they said that it wasn’t worth it to them based on the cost of production. I asked them why Audio Technica was able to keep making cartridges at affordable prices and their response was that Audio Technica was just more committed to it.

Back to the thread, if you really want a different sound for your turntable I would look at Shure’s DJ carts. You get the warm Shure sound and better low end (IMO) than the stock M97xE.
I think I pretty much get that with my audiotecha 440mlb, were I hear the big difference is between the 440mlb and the 2m blue Ortofon then the Signet MC 110E I bought in 77 78 is nice and all together different. I would say the Ortofon 2m blue is probably closer to CD sound to me. If I decide to spend 4 to 500 someday I'll probably stay with Ortofon or audiotecha unless I come across something else that I think can give me the sound I'm looking for .Thanks for the really good information it's really help.

Back
Top Bottom