Shure Premier Cartridge...how Good???

dave b

I have found out on our forum that this isin fact a M75ED. Where does this "stand" in the Shure food chain. I enjoy the M91 but this cartridge seems to sound "muffled" and "ch" ie "stacticky" on highs cymbals,with a parts express replacement cartridge. I have it tracking at 1.5 grams with same anti scate setting. Is this a common characteristic?? Is the 91 a better sounding cartridge than the 75? Is the 95 better yet? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Well one thing you could do is raise the capacitance as these older Shure like it higher around 400 to 500Pf. One way is, if your able to run longer cables from your table to amp, but alas most people can't as the audio cables are fixed.

It is high on the chain. It was the predecessor to the M91ED and has the same specs, i.e. .2 x .7 elliptical, tracking at .75-1.5g. Problem is I don't see a direct replacement for it at PE, unless you bought the N75C, in which case it is a .7mil conical stylus which should be running at 3g with anti-skate at 3.

If that's not the stylus you bought, which one was it? Give me a link.

H ,I bought the Pfanstiehl 4767-DE for the M95 thinking it was this cartridge, when it was in fact the 75... I snugged it in fits nice but the m91 astounds me loud and clear in comparison. If I were to track the 75 with the wrong stylus "heavier" like you say 3 grams would that do it? I don't like tracking with that much "WEIGHT"... Should I just scrap this whole scenario? Your thoughts...ANYONE... regards Dave PS I have a spare m91 replacement cartridge would that work?????

No, the tracking force for the N95ED stylus is in fact .75-1.5, so you've got it set fine. Either the stylus is defective or substandard or the cartridge body is in some way compromised. Another member just posted about using an N95ED stylus in an M75ED with excellent results.

The M91ED succeeded the M75ED. Then came the M95ED. They also began offering HE carts at that time, so you also had the M95HE. After that came the M97ED/M97HE, then they recycled the M95 and M97 a few times with some other special models, and then p-mount models along side in the 80s, and finally today's M97xE, which many feel doesn't quite measure up to the non-x models of yesterday. So these carts did not compete with each other in a line up. They followed each other in a time sequence thoughout the years. They were all second fiddle to the prevailing V15.

If you want to use the M91, that's fine, but I don't know if the N95 stylus will fit in it.

Well one thing you could do is raise the capacitance as these older Shure like it higher around 400 to 500Pf. One way is, if your able to run longer cables from your table to amp, but alas most people can't as the audio cables are fixed.

It's pretty easy, actually - just use extension leads. RCA plug into RCA inline socket, and via extension leads to RCA plugs. You can make the leads as long as you like to raise the capacitance. Personally, I just solder 200pF capacitors (inside the RCA plugs) across some 6 inch extension leads for loading older Shure cartridges, but for those who can't solder, longer extension leads will do the trick. Actually, some of Ortofon's older MM cartridges also needed 400pF loading, so they devised a neat little thin plug in capacitance of about 150pF or so back in the late 70's or early 80's, which plugged onto the rear pins of their cartridges, and the headshell wires then went on behind it. I remember reading about it in an electronics magazine from back then.

-Don

I have found out on our forum that this isin fact a M75ED. Where does this "stand" in the Shure food chain. I enjoy the M91 but this cartridge seems to sound "muffled" and "ch" ie "stacticky" on highs cymbals,with a parts express replacement cartridge. I have it tracking at 1.5 grams with same anti scate setting. Is this a common characteristic?? Is the 91 a better sounding cartridge than the 75? Is the 95 better yet? Any feedback would be appreciated.

I know some folks here are partial to the Parts Express styli. Personally, my experience was less than ideal. I found the Parts Express stylus for my M95ED to be, as you describe, scratchy/staticy.

You might try a stylus from another source before you pass judgment.

The Premier Black is in fact an actual Shure M75ED. The marketing department at Shure loved to play games by re-naming some of their product numbers. They would recycle the "guts" to keep rolling out "NEW" products. They basically do what car makers have been doing for years. Adding bits of plastic "trim" here and there to create new models at different price points while increasing their high profit styli sales. There are some Genuine shure M75ED (RST8) styli for sale on EBAY for $60.00 as of today. BTW, those cheaply made EVG and most other generic styli are poorly made and never do full justice to any Shure cartridge, IMO. You do get what you pay for with the original styli. None of them use the same construction as the Shure Styli. Soldered tension wire, square magnet assembly, a rubber cantilever surround, carefully mounted polished diamond and tight quality control are all hallmarks of a Shure made styli. Those features are missing from all the EVG and the usual resellers. The exception here are the Jico brand boxed units purchased directly from Jico from their website in Japan. They can be pricey, though. Just my 2 cents worth....Your mileage may vary!!!!!

Well ... quite a thread resurrection!

Of course the whole EVG / generic stylus situation is in upheaval at the moment, as I'm sure you are aware.

FYI, some of the 'Bliss' brand generic styli offered by Turntableneedles.com have, at least, tension-wire construction. Made in Japan. Not by Jico.

The RS styli on eBay at the moment ... are they Made in USA or Made in Mexico? There's a significant difference there.

Personally I wouldn't purchase styli from that seller .... any seller that scams other eBay seller's photos for their ad ... well ... that doesn't sit right with me.

Moot point anyway ... doesn't ship to Canada. Interesting ... ships to USA but excludes 'North America' ... so that excludes Canada. Brilliant!

Duuuhhh! Isn't U.S. part of North Merica???? I guess only the parts from the northern wall to the southern wall.

The Premier Black is in fact an actual Shure M75ED. The marketing department at Shure loved to play games by re-naming some of their product numbers. They would recycle the "guts" to keep rolling out "NEW" products. They basically do what car makers have been doing for years. Adding bits of plastic "trim" here and there to create new models at different price points while increasing their high profit styli sales. There are some Genuine shure M75ED (RST8) styli for sale on EBAY for $60.00 as of today. BTW, those cheaply made EVG and most other generic styli are poorly made and never do full justice to any Shure cartridge, IMO. You do get what you pay for with the original styli. None of them use the same construction as the Shure Styli. Soldered tension wire, square magnet assembly, a rubber cantilever surround, carefully mounted polished diamond and tight quality control are all hallmarks of a Shure made styli. Those features are missing from all the EVG and the usual resellers. The exception here are the Jico brand boxed units purchased directly from Jico from their website in Japan. They can be pricey, though. Just my 2 cents worth....Your mileage may vary!!!!!

Which JICO styli do you have?

I have the Jico N75ed direct from the Jico website in Japan. I'm using as a backup to my Shure M75ED, which sounds a bit better to me.
The jico will run you $55.00 with shipping from Japan. The Shure made M75ED( labeled RST8) were made for Radio shack by SHURE are EXACTLY THE SAME STYLUS. They are still on EBAY for sale, now appear to be selling for $57.00. These are my first choice and the Jico second. Go for the Shure on EBAY. It says that is new.

In no way affiliated but lptunes is us distributer for Jico now. Don't know about shipping to Canada. Aluminum cantilever, so tariff from Japan and US? Might be cheaper to order from Japan (tongue in cheek)

Back
Top Bottom