shure sc35c- anybody else impressed?

Dire McCain

I ran across a shure sc35c cart at the TS and learned it was typically used in the DJ environment with a stylus tracking at 4-5 grams...however, since Howard tells me a cart is a cart, I put it on my Pioneer PL 115D tonearm (still mounted in its technics headshell) with an aftermarket stylus I had been using in the shure M75ed on my JVC Y66f turntable...I figured what the heck.

I gotta tell you the combination was sort of earthshaking. The performance was damned impressive...comparing album to cd, the album actually had better detail in some cases and actually 'better' sound. Outstanding bass and treble and balance between the two...it actually sounded like the first time I had heard this music since 1977...

Anyone else have this cart?

I can only imagine what will happen when i find a JICO non-DJ stylus for this combination...

And I wonder if it will perform better or worse if I put the SC35C on the JVC
tonearm??? I'm still pretty ignorant about matching carts to tonearms...comments and input will be appreciated...

I've had this cart with the stock stylus and didn't really care for it in terms of high frequency tracking. Maybe with a different tip it may sound better, but I have never tried it. I did like the high output though. At 4-5 grams, I wasn't using it on any records I wanted to keep, just too high a tracking force for my comfort.

Yes, I stayed away from the 4-5 gram stylus for sure...but I tell you, with a 'non-DJ' stylus, this thing really performs..if you run across one, don't pass it up...I didn't mean
to imply that all carts are the same...they aren't...only that the cart may or may not care if it has the stylus it was shipped with...and that other stylii will work...

...I didn't mean
to imply that all carts are the same...they aren't...only that the cart may or may not care if it has the stylus it was shipped with...and that other stylii will work...

I know. I was just trying to be a comedian and now I know why I never became one :^)

Anyway, I have tried different styli in cartridges too, sometimes with very good results. For instance, an Empire 400TC stylus in an OP4 body. Very nice!

Doug

Very excellent rugged cartridge made for AM/FM broadcasting use. Very good frequency response. The M35X stylus will let you track at 1.5-3 grams VTF and is a factory upgrade stylus for your SC 35. And it's cheap! Excels at tracking loudly cut 45 singles without audible distortion. :tresbon:

The SC 35 is heavy duty, the M 35X is more delicate. Same body and output level. I used to use SC 35 cartridges in AM radio on the air. Some of the Disc Jockeys were rough on arms and cartridges. I went from that kind of job to Stanton 681 EEE-S II cartridges on SME tonearms on Technics SP-10 Mk II turntables in public radio and machine cleaned vinyl with a Keith Monks!

Very excellent rugged cartridge made for AM/FM broadcasting use. Very good frequency response. The M35X stylus will let you track at 1.5-3 grams VTF and is a factory upgrade stylus for your SC 35. And it's cheap! Excels at tracking loudly cut 45 singles without audible distortion. :tresbon:

That seems to make more sense than buying a 97 dollar stylus for a 30-40 dollar SC35C cartridge that comes with a stylus.

tripod, are you using the n78s replacement stylus on this cartridge?

how does this assembly compare to the current shure cartridge offering (M78S) for 78 play?

also, I have an M91ED, and a 75-3 replacement stylus.

would this be similar?

thanks!

JICO stylus

Listening to a SC35C/JICO SAS as I type this - SME 3 arm with dampening- black paddle. Very nice combination - good bass and excellent image stability. Tracks anything in terms of warps or record velocity that I've got - not quit as smooth and effortless as a V-15-IV/JICO SAS - but well worth the outlay.

tripod, are you using the n78s replacement stylus on this cartridge?

how does this assembly compare to the current shure cartridge offering (M78S) for 78 play?

also, I have an M91ED, and a 75-3 replacement stylus.

would this be similar?

thanks!

I've used the N78S stylus on an M91ED body with great results. The fit is perfect.

Listening to a SC35C/JICO SAS as I type this - SME 3 arm with dampening- black paddle. Very nice combination - good bass and excellent image stability. Tracks anything in terms of warps or record velocity that I've got - not quit as smooth and effortless as a V-15-IV/JICO SAS - but well worth the outlay.

I picked one up recently to play with ... which I will get around to in due course.

The interesting thing is that this body measures exactly the same as the V15VxMR and V15RS.

It seems to me to be a branch of the Shure family tree derived from the V15 !!

The V15Vx/RS did not have the laminated core, so it is not quite as sophisticated as the V15III/IV/V.... and the SC35C with SAS should perform identically to a V15VxSAS. (except the bodies cost a whole heap less!!!)

V15Vx styli won't fit though due to the differing plastic body surround - or not without plastic surgery...

bye for now

David

Back
Top Bottom