Shure V-15 Type IV continuity test

Lastplace

AK Member
Last edited:
Last edited:
LP Gear's Vividline replacement for the VN45HE is a good alternative. It's a line contact shape with good tracking. A little heavy on the bass end but it can be easily corrected with the tone controls.

While not the same cart, I have a VividLine replacement on my V-15rs (internally the same as the V-15VxMR) and I absolutely love it!

I know diddle about the numbers you posted regarding your continuity test but I highly recommend the Jico VN45HE stylus. They sound very close to the original Shure, track great, yadda yadda.

I know diddle about the numbers you posted regarding your continuity test but I highly recommend the Jico VN45HE stylus. They sound very close to the original Shure, track great, yadda yadda.

How long have you had the original?

A continuity test and came up with 1.349 (RG)& 1.322 (BW).

The Shure specification for the V15 Type IV's resistance is 1380 ohms (1.38 kilohms). So the measurements you got look good, and are probably well within the tolerance.

Based on this info would be okay to proceed with a new $100+ stylus?

Yes, you should be safe - the cartridge is most likely still good, based on the resistance readings.

Yes, that should be a good stylus. Hopefully they've got it in stock, as Jico have sometimes said on their website, and on Twitter, that they couldn't supply line contact styli, such as SAS, Shibata and HE tips, due to being snowed under with demand since last year that they can't meet. So it might be best to buy from another supplier. The LPGear Vividline is another option, which provides a contact patch similar in length to the Namiki Micro-Ridge on the SAS, but not as thin.

Back
Top Bottom