Shure V15 Cartridge Identification Help Please

Blueglow

Eternal Tinkerer
Subscriber
Pretty sure this is a Shure V15 Cartridge but have no idea which version. It is in need of a new stylus. I recently purchased a turntable and this cartridge was on it. Sadly, the cartridge has no markings anywhere on it other than the "V". I took it out of the headshell and nothing on top either.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_2597.JPG
    IMG_2597.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2598.JPG
    IMG_2598.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2599.JPG
    IMG_2599.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_2600.JPG
    IMG_2600.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_2601.JPG
    IMG_2601.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2602.JPG
    IMG_2602.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_2603.JPG
    IMG_2603.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 106
Yeah, normally the model number would be stamped on the bevelled side of the cartridge body. I looks to me like a Type III of later.

VxMR would have a red stylus guard... but I've forgotten how to distinguish the HE from the MR type V versions.

John

JICO SAS are usually the go-to but there are less expensive ones out there - Ed Saunders, etc. That's assuming you can't find a good original in NOS or low hours condition that hasn't hardened up, or don't want to put a few hundred bucks into a new stylus.

John

Definitely a V15V. I have the same body with no markings, an early version. I believe (although others may correct me) that the original Type V came with a hyperelliptical stylus. The V15V-MR came out later, same body (with markings on the side) and upgraded with a micro ridge stylus.

Decent aftermarkets seems scarce, at least ones that don't cost an arm and a leg like the Jico SAS. OEM is priced astronomically when they appear on eBay. I've toyed with the idea of an LP Gear vivid line or a Jico HE through TTN, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I was able to score a original VN5MR off eBay a while back, but I want to limit the hours I put on it.

It is stamped "Made in USA" on the back.
Also, is this cart worth sinking ~ $200+ into a good stylus or should I move on and just get a new cart & stylus? I run 2M black on most of my tables and have been happy.
mark

Last edited:
Also, is this cart worth sinking ~ $200+ into a good stylus or should I move on and just get a new cart & stylus? I run 2M black on most of my tables and have been happy.
mark

No one can tell you whether you would like it or not. Being "Made in USA" you are already starting with the best of its variety and this was Shures highest level model in its day. Otherwise, a cartridge sounds like its stylus. That ~$240 stylus should make it sound as good as possible but beyond that some people will prefer the 2M Black (at much higher cost) and others will prefer the Shure. If the Shure sounds close to the 3x more expensive 2M Black, and it may, it would be a very remarkable value.

No one can tell you whether you would like it or not. Being "Made in USA" you are already starting with the best of its variety and this was Shures highest level model in its day. Otherwise, a cartridge sounds like its stylus. That ~$240 stylus should make it sound as good as possible but beyond that some people will prefer the 2M Black (at much higher cost) and others will prefer the Shure. If the Shure sounds close to the 3x more expensive 2M Black, and it may, it would be a very remarkable value.
Makes sense.
Denon 103 is also another tempting option in this price range w/ SUT. I may just hang on to the cart and keep my eye out for a reasonably priced stylus.
Thanks for all the input.
Mark

Well at least you're in an enviable position Mark! Keep the Shure until you decide whether or not to purchase a stylus, or flip it for some decent money and put the proceeds towards something else. Meanwhile, I bet the 2M Black is a hell of a cartridge (although I've never had the privilege of hearing one myself).

mark

You have the first generation of V15 type V, later production was moved to Mexico. You can certainly get a good "cart" for $200.00 but the V15 type V cartridge with a quality stylus like the JICO VN5MR would be hard to beat at that price.

Back
Top Bottom