Shure V15 IV - MR cartridge

J Phil

Hi,

I've been given an old Revox B795 turntable. It has a Shure V15/IV - MR cartridge on it that needs a new stylus. Also with it is a new Ortofon VMS20EO MkII cartridge. I will be using the turntable to digitize LP's & 45's. Should I replace the Shure stylus or will the Ortofon cartridge match the Shure cartridge in performance?

Thanks,

Jim Phillips

I haven't used either, but the Ortofon has the considerable advantage that the D 20 E MK II replacement stylus is still being made. The replacement for the Shure is listed by Shure as discontinued, no longer available. Shure's Solution Database also claims that the current M97xE will provide superior performance to the V15 Type IV.

edit: By the way, the Ortofon VMS cartridges have't been "new" for a long time. Even if unused, the stylus's suspension could have hardened over time. If you want to use the Ortofon, you might consider buying a new stylus for it.

Last edited:
jrtrent said:
Shure's Solution Database also claims that the current M97xE will provide superior performance to the V15 Type IV.

Shures database also stes that their P92E is an aceptable substitute for the M75 cartridge. I have both and there is no comparison.

Which M75 do you have? The M75 was available for many years with many different styli, from .2 X .7 mil light-tracking ellipticals to less-sophisticated .4 X .7 mil ellipticals to heavier-tracking conicals. The only reference I could find in the database recommending the M92E was in reference to replacing an ME75P, another p-mount cartridge, whose original specifications I could not find. For the M75ED Type 2, Shure recommended the M94E as a suitable replacement. As to Shure's M97xE vs. V15-IV comparison, I mentioned it as another alternative for Jim to consider and can only say that I've read both corroborating and dissenting opinion; personally, I prefer offerings from Stanton and Grado.

I have (and use) both the Shue V15xMR and an Ortofon VMS30 Mk.II. I my opinion the Ortofon has a smooth relaxed sound about it where the Shure has a beter balance between detail and timbre.

Granted between these two ctgs. the Ortofon IS over 20 years sold and the Shure is only 3 years old. When the Shure is new it will give a very bass heavy sound but that will subside over about 20-25 hours of play.

I retired my Shure V15 Type V and the my Stanton P888SS is reserved for vinyl that is terrible shape, it can take it.

Shure/Ortofon

Thanks everybody for your suggestions and ideas. I had no idea that this would be such a complicated topic.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom