Shure V15 Type II

562lonnie

Hello all,
Does anyone know where I can obtain the tracking force info on this cartridge?
I have this cartridge and I want to install it on my DUAL 1019 turntable but I need the specs to properly apply the stylus force.
Can anyone give me any feedbacks to this stylus...good or bad.

Regards,
562lonnie

Lonnie, here is a great site on cartridges. It lists your cartridge info. I have never heard the Type II, so I can't comment on the sound quality. I do have a Type III that is pretty good, but I think I need a new stylus on mine, so it hasn't been used in a couple of years. If it sounds muddled, I would suggest you either buy a new stylus from Jico in Japan or buy a new cartridge Shure M97xe, which can be had for about $60 delivered.

http://www.cartridgedb.com/

As for feedback in the stylus, I'd suggest that it be changed if you can verify how oldl it is. That supporting material for the stylus gets hard and brittle. IIRC, Shure made updated replacements that took advantage of later improvements for the V15 series of carts.

IMHO, the whole V15 line was a winner for them through the decades. As with many things, it had to come to an end.

Cheers,

David

In My Humble Opinion, with regards to using the V15II, the 1019 is at the lower limit of acceptability in terms of tonearm mass and compliance for use with that cartridge.

Please don't take that as a slur on the 1019, I love it dearly, it is a fine piece.

Recommend tracking it at 1.5 grams to "enShure" (heehee) best trackability and therefore performance.

I had a 1019 with a V15 Type II. It's not a good match. The Shure literally SANG after I took it off the Dual and put it on both a Sanyo Plus Series TT, and later a Technics SL-1401. On the Dual, it sounded dull and lifeless.

I would check with other Dual 1019 folks for a recommendation and save the Shure for something else, presumeably a Japanese table with a more 'conventional' arm.

Dual 1019

Thanks for all the info on the V15 Type II and the DUAL 1019.
My Dad gave me his 1019 but he had misplaced the head shell somehow. I did find one on ebay but the shell came with the Type II. I've had the 1019 put away for so long that now when I want to install the new headshell with the Type II, the turntable will not even spin. I guess it needs cleaning & oiling. I don't even know if the Type II is even good to use but something tells me to purchase another (new) cartridge.
Any suggestions on which cartdridge will go good with the 1019. I want to have a damn good stylus to match this turntable after I service it.
Thanks

turntable = TT

Well, that's great that you got such a fine cartridge with the shell! Take it off and put it away till you have a more exotic tonearm, or trade it for something you need.

I would suggest that a Shure M91E, or Stanton 681EEE or equivalent would be suitable and do a fine job in the 1019.

The thing about the 1019 being seized up is pretty normal for units put away for a long time. Grease hardens, oils congeal, rubber either hardens, crumbles, or turns to goo. Take some time and search AK for servicing Duals, there's lots of good stuff. None of it is really complicated, and given enough patience, you'll get good results, too. :) :thmbsp:

ps: how about posting some pictures? We're image junkies. here's one I have of the 1019...

Last edited:
Sure thing...I will post pictures soon.
Do you think the service manual will be a great help in helping to get this turntable going? I do not have one but they are for sale for $9.99 at ManualGenius.com.
I guess it's always good to have both.

I had a V15-ll briefly last year but stupidly broke off the cantilever. The stylus comes in two varieties, the lastest being the "improved" You can tell the difference in that the better one has the words Super Track in red as opposed to black. The black one dates back to 1968. I had the red one and played it on a Dual 1219 with good results. Can't really say it was better than the M95ED( alleged to be one notch under the V15-ll) with a Swiss generic stylus however. The lll is still very highly regarded although I have never heard one. I just got a Vxmr and am beginning to like it very much with a Grace 707.

562lonnie said:
Sure thing...I will post pictures soon.
Do you think the service manual will be a great help in helping to get this turntable going? I do not have one but they are for sale for $9.99 at ManualGenius.com.
I guess it's always good to have both.

Yes, a service manual will help a lot! I looked to see if I have one, but the only Dual one I have is for the 1007, which is not close enough. Ten bucks sounds reasonable, I figure.

Also, it always helps to take a lot of close-up photos as you take something like that apart. You might be glad you did when you put it back together.

There are a few good Dual mechanical experts on here (not me, though), so don't be afraid to ask for help.

For what it's worth, and it's only my opinion (which, along with $1 will get you a soda out of a vending machine)... if you get to the point where you're throwing money at the Dual, perhaps you'd be best served to throw it instead at a different vintage turntable.

I mean, in their day they were regarded well, but I was just not very impressed at all with my 1019 when it did work. Now it does not, has a problem with a noise in the motor that's just plain annoying. At best, it's still an idler-wheel drive that relies on the mass of the platter to dampen vibration. Just about any mid-to-late 70's Japanese table will likely serve you better.

You already have a fine cartridge (assuming your stylus and cantilever are in good shape). Scour the local thrifts, rummage sales, craigslist, or if nothing else, ebay. For < $50, probably more like $25 or even less, you can do better.

I'm also assuming by your post that you're kind of new to this stuff. Trust me, the care and feeding of a Dual is not for the faint-of-heart or the newbie. Those wacky Germans have engineered it like a cuckoo-clock...it's not exactly easy to service. My Dual is sitting in the attic because a) I think I'd botch trying to fix it (and I'm pretty handy with this stuff), and b) I don't think its worth it, to me, to get it fixed and spend upwards of 100 bucks or more to do it.

But, it's your deal, Wade. :)

Back
Top Bottom