Shure V15 Type III opinion changed

moodydan

I love the punk rock.
Obviously nothing new here to say this is a great cartridge; it’s universally well-reviewed and used on a wide range of tonearms and tables. However, I recently picked up a Dual 701 with Type III attached. It came with 2 styli - one that was supposed to be a JICO (whatever their $60ish option is), the other an EVG. Both left me unimpressed due to sibilants, a lacking low end, and a generally boring presentation.

A few years ago, I was rummaging through my local record shop’s stash of replacement needles and I came across some Walco W-582STDE that appeared to be legit originals; I gave them a shout and one was still there, so I picked it up. Wow! Smooth, balanced sound stage, accurate but clean highs, even across the tonal spectrum (is that called flat response?), a very impressive cartridge with the correct stylus installed. I was close to abondoning it for a Denon DL-110 I’m not currently using, but glad I went the extra step.

There are tons of threads about this cartridge, but thought I would share my experience regarding the stylus and the difference it can make. While this stylus is brand new and still has a long life ahead of it, I may go ahead and look into one of the better current replacements, just to know I have a healthy back up.

I had one with the fancy Jico shibata and thought the NOS shure elliptical was way better - it’s possible I didn’t set up well enough or just shows that more expensive isn’t always better just different

Up until recently I had been using the Jico HE and felt it was quite a bit bright.
As luck would have it I scored an original NOS VN35MR that sounds excellent.
Haven't tried a Vividline (mainly b/c I can't determine exactly what it is) although others think they are very good.

My opinion "back in the day" was that Shure cartridges were a bit dull. But recently I've been using a V15/III, with an original VN35MR stylus, and I'm very pleased with the sound. It's much more subtle and detailed than a new AT95E.

Have had this cart twice. My first was on a 1229. Not great. Have it again with a EVG. Have it on a Zero 100. Will likely put it on a Dual headshell. And get a HE Jico stylus. Enjoy. I like it this time time.

Last edited:
Obviously nothing new here to say this is a great cartridge; it’s universally well-reviewed and used on a wide range of tonearms and tables. However, I recently picked up a Dual 701 with Type III attached. It came with 2 styli - one that was supposed to be a JICO (whatever their $60ish option is), the other an EVG. Both left me unimpressed due to sibilants, a lacking low end, and a generally boring presentation.

A few years ago, I was rummaging through my local record shop’s stash of replacement needles and I came across some Walco W-582STDE that appeared to be legit originals; I gave them a shout and one was still there, so I picked it up. Wow! Smooth, balanced sound stage, accurate but clean highs, even across the tonal spectrum (is that called flat response?), a very impressive cartridge with the correct stylus installed. I was close to abondoning it for a Denon DL-110 I’m not currently using, but glad I went the extra step.

There are tons of threads about this cartridge, but thought I would share my experience regarding the stylus and the difference it can make. While this stylus is brand new and still has a long life ahead of it, I may go ahead and look into one of the better current replacements, just to know I have a healthy back up.

Is the Walco a repackaged genuine Shure ? The other possibility is that Walco(long gone) sourced from Japan during a certain timeframe. As you and many others have discovered, different styli do sound different. Very different.

Is the Walco a repackaged genuine Shure ? The other possibility is that Walco(long gone) sourced from Japan during a certain timeframe.

I'll post some pictures when I get home, but I 100% suspect that Walco repackaged the genuine Shure stylus. I felt pretty good for remembering that we'd found them a while back, but even better for still finding one available!

I'll post some pictures when I get home, but I 100% suspect that Walco repackaged the genuine Shure stylus. I felt pretty good for remembering that we'd found them a while back, but even better for still finding one available!

eBay is a good source for repackaged originals. Pfanstiehl repackaged many originals back when the originals were available. Mag styli were not the forte of many of those companies. Many of those companies tried making styli for the GE VR 1000 which did not turn out too well. LOL. .

My opinion "back in the day" was that Shure cartridges were a bit dull. But recently I've been using a V15/III, with an original VN35MR stylus, and I'm very pleased with the sound. It's much more subtle and detailed than a new AT95E.
I think that one of the "back in the day" considerations to be made is that most of us didn't have as good a phono stage/pre that we do these days.

I've been using the V-15 III since 1973 on all different makes of turntables over the decades. I've had one on my "bohhey" Dual 701 for around 10 years and my 1229Q, also bought from Bill, for a number of years. I interchange Jico HE, SAS, and elliptical styli on the two that I use now. I've never had sibilance issues on any of the turntables that I used the V-15 III cartridge on. I know that they make better cartridges these days but I will stick with the Type III.

I attempted realigning, different tracking force, etc., but the sibilance (nts?) was consistent. The genuine Shure stylus took care of it. Also, there was a noticable difference in the suspension over the (claimed) JICO stylus, so there’s that, too!

Back
Top Bottom