Shuttle

Grumpy

Krusty old SOB! Yes, I own Audiokarma
Staff member
Admin
Sponsor
Subscriber
My thoughts and prayers go out to all those familys...

cry.gif

We salute you

Your bravery and standard of excellance sets an example for everyone. And today we feel not only your loss, but the loss for all mankind. Our inherent vulnerbility becomes magnified and we feel a little less secure.

MikE

Truly a sad day. To top it off there were already two ebay auctions touting debris from the shuttle. Fortunately ebay acted quickly to remove the items and hopefully they'll remove the sellers too. What kind of sick f$%k would try to profit from the unfortunate death of 7 of the worlds best and brightest? I can only pray for the families and hope it was just an unfortunate "accident".

Mike

My prayers to all the families.

And my heartfelt thanks to all who are willing to push the edge, for it is in the penetrating of boundaries that true gains in knowledge are achieved.

Few have what it takes to ride the edge, and the loss of any who do affects all mankind.

A Sad Day

To all the families of these brave men, I send my prayers and condolecences.

:sadwave:

These people are true martys of mankind persuing the most noble of mankind's causes.

Chris

Anyone see Iraq talking sh!t about this accident on the news? They said it was God's retribution on the US. They are glad the shuttle broke up on re-entry. Those Basturd's!
new_321.gif
2up.gif

An unfortunate tragedy like this makes us painfully aware of the dangers that these fine brave men and women accept and face as part of the job. This is indeed a sad day for the space program. My condolances to the families and survivors of those brave souls today lost.

Rob

You know, I have been wondering all day how I should post to this thread as I guess many are looking at the view count. I feel like I did when Challenger happened. If you remember Ellison Onizuka was a HI boy. Everytime I go to CNN I get kinda choked up as I am sure I will be again when I read the headlines in the Sunday paper.
I have also read a number of books on space exploration. "Failure is Not an Option" by Gene Krantz, who was flight director for Apollo 13 is a fave, and I must read the other by Chris Kraft? sp? for another outlook on astronauts and what makes them tick. Yeah, I'm infinitely bummed :( I feel for the families also. I am also proud of those who push the limits to make this world a better place to live in. I better stop before I start bawling.

"A butterfly strapped to a bullet"

A reporter once responded to Mahatma Gandhi "you are very ambitious". He replied, knowing the truth of his statement, "I hope not". That is still our fate - our ambition has exceeded our means. Acceptable losses is a horrible realization, but, I'm afraid, not inaccurate. We will recoup, rethink and go on. What alternative is there?

MikE

Seven people died. But, you see, more than seven people die each day in America. Let us live life forever in depression if we took the time to mourn for all the loses each day. I try to look at everyone equally, especiall if I have no contact with them and do not know them. To me, yes, it is sad that these people died, who infact had families of their own and people who loved them. But, because it is made public, I don't feel we should act differently then we would if anyone else died. These people were serving our country, with great courage and great honor, but I feel that anyone living in America is serving our country, with again great courage. How is everyone serving our country? Simply by being an American citizen. And great courage why? Because we have some of the highest crime rates in the world. Yes it was a tragedy, but, in America, everyone is of the same equality.

Seven people didn't die, a dream died

The 'greater' tragedy is that 'we' all died a little that day. They are only the brave pioneers who represent not only their country but all mankind. That they are striving to be more, for themselves and for all people, all the while understanding and accepting the risk. Think, if our very best fail, what is our fate?

MikE

While I truly feel for their families and realise what a shock this whole thing has been I want to point out that overall space flight has been very kind to those doing it. Hundreds of men have strapped themselves into expiremental aircraft and died for it in the full knowledge that pushing the envelope could cause their deaths and did so willingly.
Anytime someone is involved in something that is dangerous and actively pursues it knows what they are getting into. While I am sure none of these people wanted to die and have their families go on without them, I am sure that not a one of them would have lived their lives any other way. Death in pursuite of something important not just to themselves but every one is not a bad way to go.
My hope is that what ever it was that went wrong and caused this tragic event will be found out and not repeated.
My best wishes to the families and friends of these brave people. And to the dead themselves, my heartfelt thanks for undertaking such a hazardous duty for the good of all of us.

Back
Top Bottom