Sibilance / disortion

Certainly if there is sibilance on the master, it will also come through regardless of setup / alignment, stylus, etc. What is being referred to here specifically is sibilance or distortion that is not present on the record (i.e. testing with a known good copy of a great recording that wasn't previously damaged) but is being introduced by the cartridge / turntable. It is possible that the phono stage, speakers (?), and other parts of the system can affect this as well, but I am not interested in discussing that here.

Thanks for the clarification.

The worst sibilance I've ever heard was caused by loose tonearm bearings, using a fine-line cartridge that, on a good tonearm, had none whatsoever.

How did you trace it back to loose tonearm bearings? I ask because I'm amazed.

I had a nice Sony PS-X55 turntable that now is just for cleaning my records because I could NOT fix the sibilance. I suspect it was something like this, and now, it's in a hundred pieces and not worth fixing.

How did you trace it back to loose tonearm bearings? I ask because I'm amazed.
That was an assumption, actually, but my confidence in it is near 100%. It was a new Pioneer PLX-1000. The tonearm bearings were so loose they rattled. Like this:
MusicDirect advised me not to attempt adjustment, so I sent it back for a refund.
The same cartridge and headshell had been performing magnificently in my Jelco arm.

I've never really suffered sibilance issues, but IGD was definitely something I battled with early on with lower priced TTs and cartridges. But (unfortunately for those without the necessary finance maybe ?) since I've been able to spend a bit of money on better TTs and better carts (nothing crazy mind, total outlay on TT and cartridge less than £750), and also learned more and more about TT/cartridge setup, IGD has become a thing of the past. So, from my perspective, what really defeats IGD issues is a combination of investment and experience - which is probably why so many people find vinyl a bit daunting to get right.

I think with regards to the Stanton 500 MKII, the problem is that the suspension is too stiff--could be hardened with age. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Stanton 500 design and the cartridge itself sounds amazing--very open and lifelike compared to a lot of four coil cartridges. The fat cantilevers can fool you. They are actually very thin walled and the main issue there is not size but mass. A cantilever that is fat but of low mass could be more rigid like the lightweight bicycles with the fat aluminum tube frames that weigh nothing and are rigid as hell.

If you have a 500E MKII, though, the VTF range is 2+/-1, which means that while only 1g is "possible," even 3g is still within spec. So, if you have sibilance somewhere under 3g, crank it up to 3 and any sibilance will go away. In the case of a stiff suspension, I think the sibilance is simply caused by the suspension not being able to keep the tip in the groove at the tracking force it is set at. I have Stanton 500 styli of the same model that are all over the place in terms of required VTF; some work great at 1g, others need all of 3g to kill sibilance.

With the right stylus, a Stanton 500 (or Pickering V15) can sound truly incredible in terms of audiophile performance and track lightly, too. Pickering even made a Stereohedron for the V15 1/2" mount and the P Mount version. I have yet to see even a photo of the P Mount Stereohedron for the V15 P Mount, though.
Hi needlestein, my stanton friend! short story, i purchased a nagaoka mp110 mounted and wired from lpgear, i set it up right on the money and have been braking it in on the mk5 for a few weeks, I also just put a new 500AL stylus from pfanstiehl on my 500mkII cart, the tracking says 3-7 grams on the box, also installed some new litz wires on the old cart, i was liking the Nag cart, but to compare i swapped the stanton on quick, and dialed it in and it is the sound i like, it just is, the heavy trackers can be hard you know to dial out most of the sib, but the rest is worth it. I have a new pickering DE stylus i use on the stanton also, with a low 1g tracking weight that is also great, The pickering sounds almost exactly like the nagaoka , very nice, complete and clean. But this old Broadcasting cart with the AL stylus on this table is the perfect hifi sound of the 70s, thats the only way i can explain it, you know what i mean. The low midrange and punch, is so fast, hihats, vocals thick , music sounds "different" like creates instant foot tapping lol, oh well i dont get it .enough ranting from FreQ!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (88).jpg
    FullSizeRender (88).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 4
i have found that the inability of a tt to track sibilance or that has inner groove distortion (IGD) needs cartridge alignment and or enough VTF to properly track difficult passages. nearly always, the best VTF is the maximum recommended by the manufacturer.

an alignment protractor can be purchased or for free, you can download one at

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm.

once done with both procedures, there should be no problem. another part of my experience is that linear tracking arms such as on mitsubishi LT models, pioneer PLL1000A (phase linear 8000) exhibit NO igd and track sibilant tracks likewise do not mistrack.

I've never really suffered sibilance issues, but IGD was definitely something I battled with early on with lower priced TTs and cartridges. But (unfortunately for those without the necessary finance maybe ?) since I've been able to spend a bit of money on better TTs and better carts (nothing crazy mind, total outlay on TT and cartridge less than £750), and also learned more and more about TT/cartridge setup, IGD has become a thing of the past. So, from my perspective, what really defeats IGD issues is a combination of investment and experience - which is probably why so many people find vinyl a bit daunting to get right.
yes exactly, some have the means to buy the nice table because of the want to have, but if the table is not a plug and play, its a mess and they end up on ebay, if you started with nothing like some of us did, built tables from junk and learned, and worked our way up , your tables end up sounding better, are adjusted with knowledge of the components and patience. Like all Hobbys. But i like the novice questions here on AK ,it is cool to pass on some shortcuts to the new guys.:thumbsup:

i have found that the inability of a tt to track sibilance or that has inner groove distortion (IGD) needs cartridge alignment and or enough VTF to properly track difficult passages. nearly always, the best VTF is the maximum recommended by the manufacturer.

an alignment protractor can be purchased or for free, you can download one at

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm.

once done with both procedures, there should be no problem. another part of my experience is that linear tracking arms such as on mitsubishi LT models, pioneer PLL1000A (phase linear 8000) exhibit NO igd and track sibilant tracks likewise do not mistrack.

Yes the only thing that can keep the contact between the groove and the needle, is the VTF.
I'm not that sure about alignments though, there are other factors that will decide small mistracking, as I see it. One thing is that when groove modulations become too steep, the forces for the needle to follow the groove, will be too small. And the resulting force acting on the needle, will point to the pivot.

So, as You say, a linear tracker will have much less problems, as the inner modulations will be less steep.

I we talk about s-sounds with problems, these are nearly always mono cut. Some can be very hard to track, so instead the needle will jump up and down. That is the reason for the special shh sound.​

Last edited:
Glad to come across this topic as I'm currently in sibalence hell
Alightment spot on, tracking force is precise and yet I keep getting that ssssss
And it's been on vinyl I purchased from users who had absolutely no hint of it in their systems. What's really weird to me is I hear the same thing on my backup lp120 table

Picked up an lp gear vividline stylus for my empire 2000/iii and I've only tested it on one track so far (Tracy chapman -revolution ) and I hear those same hard ssss

Alightment spot on, tracking force is precise and yet I keep getting that ssssss
And it's been on vinyl I purchased from users who had absolutely no hint of it in their systems. What's really weird to me is I hear the same thing on my backup lp120 table

Picked up an lp gear vividline stylus for my empire 2000/iii and I've only tested it on one track so far (Tracy chapman -revolution ) and I hear those same hard ssss

Sibilance in this matter is mistracking. Seems odd this needle should encounter that. Maybe the records should sound like this.

What is your main turntable?

Also, what is the recommended stylus force range for your VL?

1-1.5 it's set at 1.4

I'm sure the Marc Morin modified arm is worlds better than a 40 y.o. stock AR arm but I suspect that your sibilance problem could be a mismatch between arm mass and stylus compliance. I like to use a medium compliance stylus in my AR tone-arm, but that's just me.

I'm sure the Marc Morin modified arm is worlds better than a 40 y.o. stock AR arm but I suspect that your sibilance problem could be a mismatch between arm mass and stylus compliance. I like to use a medium compliance stylus in my AR tone-arm, but that's just me.

Case in point. I recently acquired a Shure M55E with NOS stylus. This cartridge tracks between .75 and 2 grams. Mounted in my Technics SL 1800 MKll everything sounded great until I played a complex orchestral recording which sounded terrible during several passages. I swapped the stylus for a new JICO N44G which is also high compliance but there were no improvements. I then substituted a N44E which tracks between 1.5 and 4 grams. At 2.5 grams there was a slight improvement but increasing the tracking force to 3 grams eliminated all of the distortion.

Case in point. I recently acquired a Shure M55E with NOS stylus. This cartridge tracks between .75 and 2 grams. Mounted in my Technics SL 1800 MKll everything sounded great until I played a complex orchestral recording which sounded terrible during several passages. I swapped the stylus for a new JICO N44G which is also high compliance but there were no improvements. I then substituted a N44E which tracks between 1.5 and 4 grams. At 2.5 grams there was a slight improvement but increasing the tracking force to 3 grams eliminated all of the distortion.
Suppose I could try my m44-7 from my lp120 just for grins...or mount my old at95e which has a higher trading force

Back
Top Bottom