Sigh.. Dim Bulb Test Failure

any progress with it yet ?

I'm sorry Pete, but I flat burned out on the project. Also it's not making much sense anymore from a cost standpoint to keep throwing money at this particular amp. I'd like to pass it on to someone with more know-how to work on.

Nevertheless, thank you everyone who helped me out - very much appreciated! I learned a lot and I'm certain the next one will go a lot smoother.

put it on one side and wait for another day in the future . it may well be dead easy to fix in a few months when your heads clear of it .

The unit arrived today, here's what was wrong.

1. TR605 wasn't completely soldered to the board. I sucked off the solder on the emitter and low and behold there is no lead, it wasn't all the way through.

img6155od.jpg

2. The reason for the strange base voltage on tr602. C601 is the filter cap for that transistors base, instead of having a 47uf cap installed it had 4.7uf. Once the cap was swapped and the transistor resoldered it came out of protection. I soldered tr605 before I caught the wrong cap and it was still funky.

img6158i.jpg

3. The reason for the hum- I disconnected the amps from the signal path and fired it up, no more hum. I checked the voltages and scoped the power going to the pre, where I was supposed to have 30 and -30 I had 36 and 38 and the voltage had noise. I pulled and tested TR01 and 02 and they passed. I noticed they had been removed previously, only problem is that they were swapped. Swapped em back to where they belong and the hum is now gone. Bias and DC offset is spot on and it's quiet as a mouse.

img6157m.jpg

That's all she wrote. It's a really nice, clean unit. I offered it back to 147JK but he doesn't want it back, too bad, cause it sounds really good. :(

img6159i.jpg

Never too late to change your mind ya know :D Maybe this will convince him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQOVLAovys

Last edited:
Nice that it finally got resolved. Sansui did a very nice job of engineering on those amps for sure. I would definitely want it back!

that is that little mystery solved then .. well done .:thmbsp:
i wouldn't have guessed tr605 not being in correctly .
i did think something was wrong with c601 though .

Thanks folks!

Tr602 base voltage just wouldn't stabilize, that's what gave it away. Its not that it was wrong, it was bouncing all over the place so I started looking at all the caps in that circuit. I looked at the cap and saw 4.7uf, I went back to my computer, zoomed in and look for decimal-BINGO!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom