Signet TK3Ea stylus options

hvbias

From doing a search I see there are several threads discussing this cartridge here, but they're now all locked. I am really taken by this cartridge, it has a nice warmth I would not have expected from an Audio Technica manufactured cartridge. I'm looking to replace its stylus in another 200 hours or so and I was wondering what my options were priced more on the budget side. I see that there are a couple of 440MLa stylus that will fit, but these are more than what I paid for the cartridge!

I'm not sure if Signet changed body shapes over the years, mine simply says Signet 3Ea on the underneath. And there was an old thread where someone said one of the stylus that was recommended would not fit the cartridge unless the plastic was trimmed off. So maybe they changed cartridge bodies at some point?

Thanks.

The ATN120E fits perfectly and sounds quite good. The ATN7V is another option that others have used. Except for its color it looks just like the TKN3Ea.

John

Last edited:
I had a tk3ea with a snapped cantilever, and just wanted to get it making noise again. Picked up an atn100e for next to nothing and it works marvelously. Not the brightest setup, if I was doing it a second time i'd step up to a stylus with a better rep for reproducing highs, but thats just my one case study. I've no reference to compare it to, and the table is new to me. But it fit.

the "fit" issues i read about seemed to be more interfering with mounting screws; mine are nut-up so it wasn't an issue. tight fit, but everything lines up nicely with no modification.

And there was an old thread where someone said one of the stylus that was recommended would not fit the cartridge unless the plastic was trimmed off. So maybe they changed cartridge bodies at some point?

Thanks.

As loudnoises remarked, the fit problem has to do with the length of the bolts used. I just mounted a TK3Ea/ATN120E combo on a headshell and found that I had to use bolts only a little longer than necessary to thread all the way the nuts. Longer bolts (which I tried first) prevented full insertion of the stylus. It would be possible to use longer bolts if they were inserted from the bottom and the nuts threaded on from the headshell side but I've always thought that looked pretty bush league. The same problem would also also arise when installing the ATN100E, ATN440MLa, and probably the ATN7V.

John

Signet TK3Ea-ATN120E 001.JPG Signet TK3Ea-ATN120E 002.JPG

Last edited:
Reversing the bolts on a headshell that isn't intended for it can look wonky, Luckily for me it's how the Yamahas do it.

I could be wrong but I think the TK5E stylus is still available, at about $60 and It was a very good, sounding and tracking combination.

if i'm correct, tk5e and tk3e are not the same as the tk5ea and tk3ea, and will not use the same stylus. (round vs rectanglar "plug" iirc)

Thank you very much guys.

The relaxed treble is what I like about it quite a bit, I have it loaded at 47k on my Pete Millet LCR phono-stage and I posted this same thing on Lenco Heaven that it sounds like a vintage Koetsu Black. Really one of the finest "budget" cartridges I've heard. I'm not sure if the relaxed treble is due to the stock stylus or the cartridge itself.

As loudnoises remarked, the fit problem has to do with the length of the bolts used. I just mounted a TK3Ea/ATN120E combo on a headshell and found that I had to use bolts only a little longer than necessary to thread all the way the nuts. Longer bolts (which I tried first) prevented full insertion of the stylus. It would be possible to use longer bolts if they were inserted from the bottom and the nuts threaded on from the headshell side but I've always thought that looked pretty bush league. The same problem would also also arise when installing the ATN100E, ATN440MLa, and probably the ATN7V.

John

View attachment 940136 View attachment 940137

Here is a picture of the same version as my TK3Ea:

aDVfuuK.jpg

HprSwz1.jpg

6IwCQbq.jpg

I use an ATN140LC. This is pretty much the finest MM combo I've found in 50+ years. I'm using it in my Mitsubishi LT-22.

The ATN 132EP is a nice option. It was initially intended for the P-mount cartridges but it does fit on the wider body, same performance as the ATN130E. I use one with my TK5Ea, very nice and relatively inexpensive.

I'll second the recommendation for the 140LC, super nice detail and still punchy.

http://www.stereoneedles.com/audio-technica.html

That appears to be a mistake on the Turntable Needles website. The price remains the same if you select the aftermarket copy. TTN is a reputable website so nothing underhanded is going on. They just redesigned their website and this error may have resulted from that.

If you're looking to buy an ATN120E, you can save $33.00 here.

http://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/cata...ameNeedles&MfgName=Audio+Technica&Categories=

I would email Gary first and ask him whether he has the recent 0.3 x 0.7 mil version or the older 0.4 x 0.7 mil version.

John

I have one of these cartridges that came on a Technics SL-1400
Stylus is shot
I'm going to be passing this table along (selling it), so want to go the inexpensive route
I understand this cart is pretty well thought of and might want keep it for use on on one of my Pioneer PL-518/530/600

would this cart work well on the Pioneers?

If not then would this be a decent replacement stylus, ATN120E (from that auction site) or same from Gary for slightly more

If it would work well on one of my Pioneers and I decide to keep it, then would that inexpensive Chinese AT3600 work well on the SL-1400

The TK3Ea with the ATN120E would work very well on the PL-518 and PL-600 but not so well on the PL-530. Gary sells the Pfanstiehl replacement for $3.00 less than the eBay listing you linked to and also has the genuine article for $56.00.

John

Last edited:
The TK3Ea with the ATN120E would work very well on the PL-518 and PL-600 but not so well on the PL-530. Gary sells the Pfanstiehl replacement for $3.00 less than the eBay listing you linked to and also has the genuine article fro $56.00.

John
Thanks John

Guess maybe I'll keep this one and pick up one of those inexpensive AT3600s to go on the Technics-1400

Back
Top Bottom