Silliness

T

twintwelve1484

So I went thrifting on my lunch again, and found very little, except a Technics SL-DD33 turntable with a broken cantilever and no dust cover, for $9.

I was examining this P-mount POS, and was thinking to myself, "Why oh why is there a strobe on this unit"?

There's no adjustable pitch and it's quartz-locked. Is it just there to satisfy the idiots back in the mid-80's who figured, "Gee, it's got one of them there orange-light thinguses, it's got to be good...."

I left it sitting on the shelf.

Actually, despite what some people think about the P-mount Technics tables, the SL-DD33 is a good sounding turntable. I've had several of them, and their brothers the SL-QD33 (same except quartz lock instead of strobe). Always worked well for me. In fact, I still have its "cousin" (the SL-B350, belt drive, silver instead of gray), because it just sounds good, and is pretty much indestructable...

Regards,
Gordon.

My quartz-locked Technics SL-Q3 has a strobe too.

That being said, I tend to agree.... having a strobe without speed adjustment is sort of like having a car with a tachometer and an automatic transmission!

Speaking of silliness, how about those components and speakers that appeared in the 80's that proudly proclaimed "Digital Ready"?

Or speaker systems that appeared to have many drivers but only 2 were active, the rest were for looks? :scratch2:

That being said, I tend to agree.... having a strobe without speed adjustment is sort of like having a car with a tachometer and an automatic transmission!

EH?? :scratch2:

My mate's car has an autobox with a 4th gear over-ride button on the gear lever that is easy to catch with your thumb. If he didn't have a tacho then somethimes he'd be cruising down the motorway in 3rd without realising it!! (it's a quiet car!!)

A.

Back
Top Bottom