Silly eBay Listings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobydud

Analog Again
Or maybe this guy is careful to push just enough buttons to make this POS sound like maybe..jus Mayyybe,,a lost jewel of the Pioneer line:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39789&item=5761214517&rd=1

We've all seen ignorant sellers making absurd claims about whatever old stereo they pulled out of the closet or picked up at the flea market..and think they can pass on for a killing on eBay. But this schmooze seems to know better. He's just hoping YOU don't.

Sorry I'm bored.

Yeah, late 70's Uh Huh. That's because he's done enough research or knows enough to use that as a tag line. Vintage! 70's! of which it is neither, obviously. However he seems to know that Pioneer receivers of that era "fetch a pretty penny". So maybe if he claims thats what it is it will bring a "pretty penny"eh?. BS.

The part I like the best is where he says that on his "audiophile" message boards thereby implying he knows his stuff...that this receiver is known as "the little monster"..HUH?

I oughta google that just to see if that piece of BPC is mentioned anywhere on the 'net other than Pioneers website and his own BS. I'd be shocked if it was..of course he could be right. It could be a little monster..one that you want to stay far...far...away from!!

Last edited:
Oh its mentioned somewhere alright, the "little monster" turns up in the Orion Bluebook...
PIONEER
RCV, SX-V300BK RCV VIDEO NOISE FILTER
Description: AUD/VID QUARTZ-PLL SYN, 2-VID INPUT, 8-PRESET, SIMULATED ST
Manufacture Years: 1986 - 1989
Power: 45
MSRP: $250.00

Mike Gibson said:
Does anyone ever call BS on these ads or is that a no-no?

I wish there was a way to post "sticky notes" on auctions. Mine would say: "BS"!!!!

"I found on some of my audiophile message boards that this thing is often referred to as the “little monster”. You can see that it looks small but the power of this thing is incredible." That's probably the same line he uses on babes at the local watering hole. :lmao:

Good luck, "Little Monster"!!! :bs:

Inspiribomb said:
My guess is anyone with any kind of experience with this kind of gear can see through his BS...

Unfortunately, as we have all seen, the marginally informed can and will be caught by these type of lies. How else do you explain white van speakers?

I saw an listing where the seller listed an original Citation 16 amp as an A model. He used the description of the A model including all the updates the the A that made it better than the original. I emailed eBay explaining that his listing was incorrect. Their answer: "it is up to the buyer to confirm the authenticity of the item being sold". :sigh: Is that crap or what? The seller misrepresents and of course, will claim to the grave he has a special item. The buyer loses....

Meh, it's the 'sucker born every minute' thing IMO. If somebody wants to believe that, fine, let the morons spend their money. Maybe it is dishonest, but he's not overtly misrepresenting the details of it, even the power output is a common mistake from people reading the power consumption tag on the back, so if some rube wants to believe it's a great piece, more power to the seller, and the unknowledgable buyer will likely be happy with it too. The rest of us more knowledgable folks can just sit back and enjoy our silver-face gear and laugh.

I wonder about that button...

that he hasn't been able to figure out the function of. Could it be the ON/OFF switch or the speaker select? Seems like an "audiophile" should know.

It's got simulated stereo! Now, what would one of those "electronically enhanced to simulate stereo" LP's sound like through this receiver with the "simulated stereo" turned on? :)

I think about things like this... no wonder I'm not more successful...

What is simulated st? Last time I heard that term is was on a mono unit that had some magical circuit that allowed 2 speakers and was supposed to simulate what you heard coming to each ear. Reality was it was little more than a crossover and moved the lws to 1 speaker the mids to both and the highs to the other speaker. Tought we had moved beyond that.

I love the 'jacks for something else, whatever you want' ;) Kind of, give me ambiguity, or give me something else ;)

i feel sorry for the person that buys his stuff that guy really needs to start doing a little research on his stereo equipment before he puts it on ebay.

Caveat: there is one functional flaw with the unit. It hardly ever comes up because it only happens when I messed with a button which I almost never used. When, for some reason, you agitate it (brush up against it or something) you have to wiggle it a bit. That’s it. Sounds awesome until you mess with it again, which should be never since I still am yet to figure out what the heck the button is for.

I always try to not agitate buttons. Makes the little buggers aggressive. And through years of trial and error I have discovered that reading the labels below the buttons usually gives a pretty good hint about their functions. Hmmm... I wonder if maybe the label next to the button in question reads MUTE.

My brother had a Pioneer reciever like that back in the day. It's a small and basic reciever - one of Pioneers very cheap units. I would'nt give $10.00 for it. But that "crisp looking" cassette deck? Wow, I've been looking for a crisp looking deck for some time!! :thmbsp:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom