Silver CD players....?

pishta

Im building a "silver" system and am looking for a decent CD player in AL silver or champagne (Hitachi and Akai circa '78) Not a silver plastic sony but a real brushed AL face? This is on a "side" budget so I cant afford any exotic niche brands...as most of my stuff is approaching 40 years old, I doubt a really NICE one would sound any better than a decent one.....

I think there are a few older threads here covering the various silver faced options out there.
I finally settled on a Cambridge Audio DVD. Good sound and looks at a low (under $100) cost.
Your pool of potential players expands a lot if you're open to the DVD option.

The first generation Philips/Magnavox top loaders were silver. Probably the best sounding early decks, and have very reliable transports

Samsung DVD-HD841 - looks great w/ Marantz gear as it has a blue VFD. Plays SACD and DVD-A. Not too painful to use without remote either.

index-2.jpeg Are you open to DVD players? If so, several Sony ES models fit the bill, as does a particular non-ES model I have that's a champagne-ish color, DVP-S745D (pictured. ...there is also a silver model, perhaps it is a different model #, but I have seen it in a thrift store). I also have a Samsung HD841 that i believe has a metal face but i can't remember for sure. The Sony NS900V is highly touted by some here but I'm not certain it has a metal face (I'm almost certain it does).

^ if the Samsung doesn't have a metal face, the plastic used is very, very convincing. Doesn't look plasticy at all. I'd buy another just for the aesthetics if it came up and wasn't too scratched up.

^ if the Samsung doesn't have a metal face, the plastic used is very, very convincing. Doesn't look plasticy at all. I'd buy another just for the aesthetics if it came up and wasn't too scratched up.

I need to look at mine when I get home...I'm pretty certain it's metal. I love its understated looks. Sounds nice too.

The first generation Philips/Magnavox top loaders were silver. Probably the best sounding early decks, and have very reliable transports

IMG_20130223_110104.jpg

Samsung DVD-HD841 - looks great w/ Marantz gear as it has a blue VFD. Plays SACD and DVD-A. Not too painful to use without remote either.

This is what I'm currently using for the same reason. I just happened to already have one. I had no idea it also did DVDA and SACD. That's good to know.

My Pioneer P-D70 from 1984, Great sounding units but not very common though in good operating condition.

1PioneerP-D70.jpg

2PioneerP-D70.jpg

3PioneerP-D70.jpg

I'm building a "silver" system and am looking for a decent CD player in AL silver or champagne (Hitachi and Akai circa '78)..

I don't think you will find a silver face CD player dating back that far.
1982-83 is about as far back as you can go, as best I recall...

I don't think you will find a silver face CD player dating back that far.
1982-83 is about as far back as you can go, as best I recall...

I interpreted the OP mentioning that as the look he was going for not necessarily that he needed something from around that year...

Just went through that same effort - finding a silver (preferably metal front CD player although I would have accepted plastic) and Kyocera was one also. Wound up buying a silver Rega Planet 2000 found locally. Someone (also local) was selling a silver Yamaha CDX510 but I'd already bought the Rega. Yamaha also produced later models in a Ti (titanium) finish. I have a vague recollection of a single disc CD player but at that time, everyone was buying changers so most (if not all) Yamaha's in that series would have been 5 disc - higher end stuff excluded. .

I own several CD players which are silver, or have some silver coloring. One, as pictured above, is a Magnavox FD-1000, aka Philips CD-100. It is equipped with their very first CD transport, the CDM0. Another is the Technics SL-P1, which wasn't their first, but pretty close. Third up is the Bang & Olufsen Beogram CD50, with their usual sleek styling matching the rest of the Beosystem 5000. Fourth is the Kyocera DA-910, which is a very solid unit with a ceramic baseplate. Finally, the Realistic CD-1000, which was based on a Hitachi mechanism (think from the DA-800). All of these are from the early days of compact disc, 1984 or so (though B&O retained some vestiges of silver trim throughout their entire CD player line well into the '90s).
-Adam

Along with the Pioneer P-D70 listed I have these silver vintage playes in my collection. Realistic 1400/ Phillips CD 204 & Luxman 404. No plastic on these beauties.

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0153.JPG
    IMG_0153.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0155.JPG
    IMG_0155.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I have a "silver" player i'd like to recommend, the Sony DVP-NS900V.
Not silver, per say, more like champagne, it's definetly a nice SACD player.
No plastic as well, nice aluminum finish on the front panel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom