1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Silver-face era Pioneer SX-x2x and SX-x3x receivers with gold or bronze face

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by dlucy, Jul 13, 2017.

?

For your own collection or stack, which would you prefer having?

1. Silver-toned silver-face Pioneer SX-626

45.5%
  2. Gold-toned silver-face Pioneer SX-626

54.5%
  1. dlucy

dlucy dlucy67 (Doug) Subscriber

I've seen several comments about "gold" or "bronze" colored Pioneer SX receivers from the "silver-face" era. I've collected quite a few SX-424, SX-525, SX-626, SX-727 and SX-636 units over the last six months (refurbishing them to compare to my HK 330B's and pick the one I like best, then sell the rest). Since there are only a few pictures of the bronze or gold toned silver-face units here on AK, I thought some of you would like a few carefully-photographed, post-cleanup, no-nicotine-coating images of the differences.

Here are color-corrected images of a silver-face SX-626 side-by-side with a gold-toned or bronze-toned SX-626. These images were:

• shot with both faces in the same plane or angle to reflect light similarly, and
    • illuminated with three, identical-temperature photo florescent bulbs to eliminate multi-temperature errors, and
    • captured with a flat, white-colored card to allow them to be
    • color-corrected in Photoshop, and then
    • described with a whole bunch of technical-sounding words to make all this seem more impressive.

IMG_3266.png
    IMG_3262.png
    IMG_3263.png
    IMG_3264.png

Please register to disable this ad.

2. dlucy

I've only seen one thread where an AK'er @larryderouin guessed (?) at the number of gold-toned versus silver-toned faces manufactured. He said maybe 10% were the gold-tone instead of silver-only.

Does anyone have any other data sources for how common or rare the gold-toned ones were?

3. Aaron99

Aaron99 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Timely post. I just picked up a SX-727 with bronze or gold face today. When I saw it I thought, "that can't be all nicotine..." I'm glad its not. I think it looks nice, I have some work to do on it to get it sounding its best again.
    So what is the official name for the color? So I don't have to refer to it as "bronze or gold faced....."

dlucy likes this.
  4. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Champagne face.

Mr.White and dlucy like this.
  5. PapaBear

PapaBear Active Member

I bought a used 424 setup in 1973 as a "temp" system when I arrived in NYC. It had the champagne faceplate. The guy at Audio Exchange had no idea why Pio did that. There was no differentiation in stock numbers. Some just came in silver; a very few in champagne. I came across a champagne 424 not too long ago in a thrift store here in DC. There was no price tag and none of the staff there that day knew anything about stereo gear (and I'm not sure if they even could understand what I was asking about).

Attached Files:

dlucy likes this.
  6. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

are you sure its not just oxidation?

7. gbroot

gbroot Super Member

I've had several 727's and 828's. Think they were all the slightly bronzed version. Did they also come in the silver?

8. dlucy

Yes, there is plenty of evidence there were two different tones or colors for these model lines.

9. dlucy

Yes, they came in both silver and bronze/champagne/gold tone.

10. jobrewer1983

jobrewer1983 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Well damn, you learn something new every day. :)

See this is why I love AK, great information!

Thank you for the schooling!

Kind Regards,
    John

Mr.White and dlucy like this.
  11. MPXNL

MPXNL New Member

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    dlucy likes this.

12. MPXNL

MPXNL New Member

I found my champagne colored TX-800 (somewhere in a forgotten place) date code June 1971....tja...................

13. qprhooligan

qprhooligan AK Subscriber Subscriber

14. MPXNL

MPXNL New Member

Can you take a look on the back side for the two letters of the serial number, I try to find out if there is a connection.

15. buffdriver

buffdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  16. Parkway230

Parkway230 New Member

Here is what I have on the champagne style for the Pioneer SX-727. I recently purchased another used SX-727, I thought it was stained by nicotine. However, once I cleaned it up, that was not the case. It is definitely a different color than my other Pioneer SX-727 that has a silver faceplate. Here is a photo of the two. IMG_0232.JPG
    The champagne one is obviously on the top shelf and the silver one is below. I checked out the serial numbers and the champagne one has a SA prefix so it was made in Jan. 1972 (just like the SX-626 shown in the previous post). The silver faced SX-727 had a prefix of SH which corresponds to Aug. 1972. The supports the assumption that the champagne faceplates were made during the early months of 1972. More data of course would support this theory.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 10:26 PM