Simi's Block Rockin' Beats

similost

Rockin and Rollin....
Well let's see... I'll post what I have in use, then I'll post what I will be putting together for the basement system.. .

The Livingroom system in use:

Barziwave speakers, consisting of AE's Lambda TD15M woofers with Apollo motors, BMS 4555 compression drivers hanging on 1.5" JBL waveguides, and a Z19 crossover built in Barzilay cabinets.

A pair of Quicksilver 8417 monoblocks that were converted to EL34 outputs by the factory.

Audire Legato Preamp

Audiosource EQ Eight equalizer

JVC QL-5 and Pioneer PL-71 turntables

Dell Optiplex 755 running Ubuntu 10.10 as a music server.

Monster Cables

I do also have a Audiosource Amp Two in this system as a spare, and for adding additional speakers to test to try out.

OH, and I used both the Phillips DVD player and the computer for CD's and concert DVD's

Obligatory Picture:
attachment.php

Basement System to be built:

I have everything for this, I just need to clean out the basement and sell some furniture to make room....

JBL 4675a speakers.
Behringer DCX-2496 crossover
EV 2666ap amp (may end up using a Tapco J1400, just depends which sounds better) for the woofers

I may also end up using a pair of Bogen KO-100 tube amps for the bass boxes.. they are 100w output... It will all be a trial and error kind of build.

A pair of Stromburg Carlson APH1200 monoblocks to be rebuilt on the horns

Behringer UB 2444 Mixer (maybe 2442?)

Pioneer RT701 reel
TEAC A4010s reel

Pioneer SR-303 Reverb

TEAC TS-80 Turntable..

and any other goodies I can think of or find to toss in the mix..

Last edited:
Thanks Rome.

That was the second system I listed VC... to be set up in the basement.. At the moment, the bass bins are in the garage, and the horns are in the basement.. I need to sell some furniture to make some room.. The basement kinda got turned into a storage area for a while.

Thanks.. the cabinet was my wife's find on Craigs..

Paid more for it than I would have liked, but it was still a lot cheaper than had we of ordered it new.. The reason I was good with it, was because everything seemed to fit in it like the cabinet was made for the gear, and the wood matched fairly well with the speakers.

Thanks JT.. the more I lisen to them, and the more I hear other setups.. the more I love em..

Hey James, I thought you liked the big JBLs quite a bit more. Can't wait to see pics of that basement setup.

Oh yeah... the big JBL's were a whole nother realm... We went out and sat on the deck and talked about some things tonight, so tomorrow I plan to get in the basement and make some changes, and take some stuff up to the thrift store to clear out some space...

Maybe this weekend I can get the speakers down there... maybe not running, but hopefully closer..

Got a 20A dedicated circuit to run those big amps on? You're gonna need it with that Tapco amp. :D

Thanks.. the cabinet was my wife's find on Craigs..

Paid more for it than I would have liked, but it was still a lot cheaper than had we of ordered it new.. The reason I was good with it, was because everything seemed to fit in it like the cabinet was made for the gear, and the wood matched fairly well with the speakers.

Agreed, that setup looks grand and blends well. Practically perfectly camouflaged in a lovely rack.

Very nice!!

Nice setup. I see that you are another JVC QL-5 user. What cartridge are you using with the QL-5?

Got a 20A dedicated circuit to run those big amps on? You're gonna need it with that Tapco amp. :D

I've actually tun the Tapco, the EV and my Crown all on the same outlet.. BUT.. when you start upping the volume, the lights in the house dance with the music.. :no:

Nice setup. I see that you are another JVC QL-5 user. What cartridge are you using with the QL-5?

I honestly can't remember. I'm thinking it is an AT of some sort. It's what came on the table when I found it. I did get a new stylus for it though.. I really like the table, but my Pioneer really shames it sound wise. I've even tried taking the headshell off the Pioneer and put it on the JVC, and it still didn't hold up to the Pioneer soundwise.. Not bad, but not as good sounding..

I've actually tun the Tapco, the EV and my Crown all on the same outlet.. BUT.. when you start upping the volume, the lights in the house dance with the music.. :no:

I'm surprised the lights weren't STROBING with all that power on one outlet. That's the kind of current that'll melt screwdrivers.

I love the Barziwaves, and those tube monoblocks are cool. *Sigh*.... Someday I'll get an ST-70 and start rolling...

Listening to Fagen's "The Nightfly" right now on my setup. I love it, but I'm still itching to get a tube setup going. Like a Dynaco and a couple of mid '60's Wharfie W70's. I think that would work well-enough in my 12x15 room.

Last edited:
I really like the grille cloth(?) on the B-waves. Is that stock/factory (if there is such thing)? It looks almost like cane rather than fabric in the pics. Is it "acoustically transparent"?

Oh, and great looking gear. Shoulda saved questions for the end.

Thanks. That's actually about 5/16" wood that has somehow been cut or pierced... (Could be 3/8", never measured the thickness, but it's more than 1/4")

I thought it was pretty cool considering the speakers are from the 60's and you didn't often find wood grillwork done that fine... So yes, it's original, and it's very transparent..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom