Simple 2 Channel Vintage System

dswann01

Addicted Member
92AB4D74-B069-4A56-9425-FA42210741CC.jpeg 712826DD-2832-4E72-870F-0976EEE6726E.jpeg 43D8AB8A-BD77-43FF-B0BF-0CE4E16A21F3.jpeg FAFCAF6A-E986-4267-8802-449F5CC40661.jpeg 8743CE3E-A669-42F2-9E21-98DB961C7EB6.jpeg

Here is my simple 2 channel system I set up over the last year in a small spare bedroom (~13’x15’) as my (semi) dedicated listening room. Bought the Yamaha CA-810 integrated amp from the auction site, Audioanalyst A100X speakers and Technics SL-1401 turntable from CL, and have had the Technics CD player and Technics cassette deck since new in 1985 (they spent a few years stored in the basement). Picked up the Sansui TU-666 tuner at a local flea market. Cabinet was thrift store find (I removed the doors to open it up in front) and I built the speaker stands.

A bit constrained on room, so not able to move the speakers out from the walls as recommended by many here, but overall sounds pretty decent to me. My seating is a small couch about 8 feet in front of the system (I’m standing beside it for this photo).

The Sansui G-4700 receiver in lower right corner is an extra unit I picked up for a decent price but is not currently in use.

Anyway, has been enjoyable putting this together, gathering lots of good advice browsing the threads here on Audiokarma. Now to find more listening time!

Last edited:
This setup would most likely satisfy a vast majority of audiophiles. I am sure it sounds good as all the equipment is of top notch quality.
But......just see how long it will last until the audio bug bites again.
Maybe if you do this........... things will change. And so it goes
I feel this setup is the ground breaking for things to come.
Good luck on a really nice system.

Simple good old-fashioned 2-channel stereo doesn't just come from earbuds!.... Like so many millennials might think.
And the surround sound Receivers aren't the best way to listen to the radio, no matter what the source....... And side note : I wonder how many households only have a surround sound receiver and no stereo receivers?.... I'll answer my own question with an opinion.....= Probably most.
And that's why anyone under age 40 might not understand why vintage stereo receivers are such a treasure!....
Simple 2-channel stereo should never die, and why would someone only want to listen with earbuds and not feel and hear the music the right way... As you would live at a concert?....
You don't go to a concert and listen with earbuds to a stereo presentation live.... And almost never at a concert would you hear it in surround sound.....

LOL not trying to hijack your thread..... But it is interesting watching people under 40 get their minds blown when they discover good old-fashioned stereo.

Nothing is better than " simple 2-channel vintage stereo " especially when you have some power behind it and can feel it through your bones!!

Last edited:
You're really did put together a good system and it's set up nicely.
I got to find a turntable like that Technics you have something close to it anyway....
Cool stuff

Thanks folks.

Harvestor - to your point, my 29 year old son was blown away by the sound quality of the cassette deck. He had never heard anything but low quality tapes with tons of background hiss, until I pulled out this deck and put on a tape I made when he was a toddler.

You are correct pdm4606, I am mostly satisfied but have the itch to upgrade my speakers. Just waiting for the right ones to come along for a decent price!

Sweet! I have a pair of those A100x's. They sound good and compete well with the Advents, KLHs, Marantzes, etc. of their time. Marantz and other companies used that same tweeter in their designs (such as in the Imperial 6).

Thanks for the input Nightwisher. I never knew that info on the tweeter. New Large Advents, KLH Model 5 or 6, or maybe Avid 103’s are what I’ve had my eye on. I’ve found some of each for sale privately, but for the asking prices never pulled the trigger because I wasn’t sure that there would be enough improvement over the A100x’s to warrant spending the money. Still waiting on a yard sale or thrift store find.

I have a set of JBL L19’s from GW that I refoamed and refinished that are really nice looking and sound great, but I really like the deep, tight base from the acoustic suspension A100x’s.

2BEB34AA-9EDC-4E90-8890-CA13446D3919.jpeg

A259B0D7-CA74-4FE1-89C3-09081D92AF28.jpeg 7236EFFB-7A05-4F0D-A9F0-F3F7C4815FBF.jpeg 9793437B-00BB-41D7-91A4-6C8201BEA2E2.jpeg

Small System Update
Found a set of New Large Advents with mint walnut cabs that had been refoamed, so sprung for those to replace my Audioanalysts. And the jazz themed painting above the system was a Christmas gift from my artist brother :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom