Sirius XM vs the "other guys"

I wonder sometimes why anyone bothers with sirius if you have a unlimited data plan for your phone.

I pretty much just stream in my car these days, and it's nice since I live in an area that has poor radio reception due to a lot of mountains.

Eric

Personally,I've found that on Sirius it's all about the quality of the recording they use. If I listen to a live broadcast it sounds great to me. Then on earlier recordings from the 50's etc the quality is not so great. I use a DAC as well..

I wonder sometimes why anyone bothers with sirius if you have a unlimited data plan for your phone.
To each his own I guess. Today, I'm thoroughly enjoying the 60s channel while out by the pool. When using the internet based player, you can select three levels of bandwidth. The highest is sufficient for my purposes.

Wifey loves listening to the Broadway channel. And I enjoy Spa.

Last edited:
(Cross-posted from XM fan board)

Just renewed my wife's car. This was one of the easier times. As usual, I called through to cancellations, explained that I wanted the price I'm now paying - basically $25 for five months of Select. Then I noticed there was a $60 for a year offer on the web site and asked if I could get that. No long waits, no hesitations, the guy just said yes and took my money. It ended up after taxes and fees at just over $70.

That's about as good as I've been doing renewing every five months, with less hassle.

Now, if I could renew the all-access I keep on my car and for home listening at a reasonable annual price, I would be very happy.

s.

(Cross-posted from XM Fan board.)

Played representative roulette today and won.

As noted above, I was able to renew my wife's car this past week for $70 for the year, taxes and fees included. That's as good as the price I've been getting calling in every five months and, obviously, a lot less hassle.

That prompted me to take a second look at the S/XM web site, which is offering All-Access for 8.25 a month, or $99 a year. I'm currently paying about half that for a six month All Access subscription which covers my car and streaming at home.

So even though my car isn't up until late March, I called in and asked whether I could renew for the full year at the $8.25 rate. The first rep I spoke with shut me down. She pointed out, rightly, that the offer was on new subscriptions. I thanked her, hung up, called back in.

The rep I reached second time around said no at first as well; she offered me $120 for the year, which I refused, thanked her, said I would call back in March and renew for another six months. Without hesitating, she immediately offered me the $99 deal and threw in a free Amazon Dot, which is part of the promotion.

I accepted, and by the time they credited me for the time remaining on my current sub, and added in taxes and fees, I paid a grand total of $86 and change for the year.

My point remains that the agents have a lot of latitude, and want to keep you subscribed more than anything else. You can still make a decent deal with a little work.

s.

Bump

Today I downloaded SiriusXM's app to iPad then connect via AirPlay to my Network Player.

NWP is showing 16/44.1 ALAC input

Is that correct? I cannot believe it is. Seems high

Back
Top Bottom