SiriusXM to pay $3.5 billion for Pandora

Wow never thought pandora was worth that much , I can’t stand the ads but it’s a decent music site. :eek: Hope they don’t ruin it , and it gets better.

Depressing, isn't it? Pandora will probably get dumbed down in the same way that Sirius completely ruined every single XM station I ever liked.

R.I.P. Pandora.

Depressing, isn't it? Pandora will probably get dumbed down in the same way that Sirius completely ruined every single XM station I ever liked.

R.I.P. Pandora.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of happening.

I just cancelled my Sirius sub yesterday after 10 years. They tried everything to keep me as a customer, including lowering the price I'd been paying by more than 60 percent.

Had both for years. Pandora has a much better sound and at $5 a month was cheap. I used it in the car nearly every day. Finally canceled last month because I’ve been using Spotify for several months.
Sirius just flat out made me angry. The compression made music unlistenable but I kept it for sports/news/talk. After two units failed (just after warranty of course) they wanted yet another “activation fee”. I cancelled and have ignored any offers.

This probably marks the death of another great Audio site . I miss the days when they had less advertisements.

Nothing but croc tears from me for Pandora whatever happens to them..
My OPPO BDP-103`s free Pandora app streaming app`s SQ sucked big time, no matter how many times I engaged it and on all 6 of my house`s room`s audio systems, however in which any Red Book CD played in the OPPO sounded excellent, or at least as good as the original recording was capable of !!

Compressed, and gritty sounding no matter the genre selected from Pandora`s offerings, or whether I was outputting from the OPPO`s S/DIF coax, or the dedicated audio only HDMI into my main system`s Integra A/V/P or a dedicated HQ stand alone DAC`s S/PDIF coax input !!

Not my cup of tea..
To each their own.

Kind regards, OKB

I used to listen to Pandora all the time. Unfortunately they play the same songs repeatedly. Even now if I flip over to a Pandora station they are using the same play list as a year ago. I can't see how Sirius buying them will make any difference.

I attended a presentation by the Pandora founder a number of years ago. He was a music major at Stanford, chose it because it was easy. He graduated and could not find a job and then worked as a babysitter. It was as a babysitter he conceived the Pandora concept. It was, originally, very low tech. He used teams of people (very low pay) to rate and classify music. The presentation was at a few years after the start up point. He came across as the everyman. That is, I could have done this.

Anyway, he can now afford to hire his own babysitter.

They have been giving me big discounts for 15 years, even before Sirus took over. I dropped the RV and the trucks when the killed two of my favorite stations. Now that the wife has passed away and I really don't need the CW stations, I may cut off XM completely. Thanks for the suggestion.

It seems, like everything else lately, that Pandora will turn into just another way for someone to make a buck. More ads less music more crap you will have to PAY for to listen to anything.

XM radio 20 years ago was great. Outstanding even. Same with Pandora. Started out free with very few, and I mean FEW, ads. As it got popular they had a few advertisers.but that was OK. Kinda like FM. Then came the paid subscription with no ads and all was well again. Now come Sirius and the price will go up and the quality will go down as if that's possible.

I had a script to XM back in the day. Wife still does have the Sirius in her car (lifetime subscription that does suck). I had a paid script to Pandora back in the day. They use the same playlist over and over. Canceled that when I found MOG till that went away. Now it's Spotify and Apple Music. But Apple Music suckssuckssucks. That script will be canceled.

Goodbye Pandora. You were great and you were original.

I had a script to XM back in the day. Wife still does have the Sirius in her car (lifetime subscription that does suck). I had a paid script to Pandora back in the day. They use the same playlist over and over. Canceled that when I found MOG till that went away. Now it's Spotify and Apple Music. But Apple Music suckssuckssucks. That script will be canceled.

Goodbye Pandora. You were great and you were original.

I don't know why you say the "Lifetime Sub" sucks? What sucks is they have stopped honoring it and are in the middle of a class action suit over the matter. When my wife changed vehicles 2 yrs ago they wouldn't honor it, but I managed to prevail so we're good for another 6yrs or so, Lexus even gave me a $500 credit over the issue.

Last edited:
In the early days, Pandora allowed you to program your own stations. You picked an artist and it suggested other similar groups or artists. By giving the suggestions a thumbs up or down you could train the station to play what you liked. I saw no sign of a limited set list. I stopped listening to it when the commercials became too frequent and annoying. Now I use Google Play. Same concept, train-able stations and fewer commercials, and if you pay it's commercial free. Great sound. Sirius has one station I really like, "Deep Tracks." Tom Petty had his own show on that station, where he introduced the songs and talked about the history.

Sirius finally realized that they were yesterday's tech and needed to change to survive

BINGO--Sirius/XM realizes that they are a "dying format", and is using this as a means to stay "relevant" and not go belly-up--while they still have the cash to do it. By purchasing Pandora, the infrastructure is already there, so that eliminates development and promotions costs. Now what they do with it, will remain to be seen.

If they are smart, they will allow users to program their own stations by voting, on a computer or via an app.

I use Pandora nearly every day and recently Toyota announced they are dropping Pandora in their vehicles in the coming months. I'm pissed. I know that I can BT Pandora from my phone but that's not the same as having it accessible from Entune.

Toyota announced they are dropping Pandora in their vehicles in the coming months. I'm pissed. I know that I can BT Pandora from my phone but that's not the same as having it accessible from Entune.

This is not surprising, since there are so many broadcast and internet broadcast/streaming options out there today, and more on the way. So as an auto manufacturer, how do you pick what services you want to partner-up with to include in your on-board "infotainment system"? You can't possibly include them all, so how do you pick?--IDK--maybe the amount of the "kickback" you get from the service? Best bet is probably just to include the 4G/LTE option and let the user decide what they want to use.

Back
Top Bottom