SiriusXM to pay $3.5 billion for Pandora

Sirius XM payed 3.5 billion? I thought that (reading the blogs) they were an unsuccessful business. :dunno:

I thought that (reading the blogs) they were an unsuccessful business.

At one point they were quite successful (before the advent of a plethora of streaming services), but they are a "dying" company/format. As I posted earlier in this thread, this may be a "last ditch effort" to stay "relevant" and remain in business--while they still have the cash/assets to do so.

At one point they were quite successful (before the advent of a plethora of streaming services), but they are a "dying" company/format. As I posted earlier in this thread, this may be a "last ditch effort" to stay "relevant" and remain in business--while they still have the cash/assets to do so.

Had no idea that they could put together that kind of cash or get a loan for such.

In the early days, Pandora allowed you to program your own stations. You picked an artist and it suggested other similar groups or artists. By giving the suggestions a thumbs up or down you could train the station to play what you liked. I saw no sign of a limited set list. I stopped listening to it when the commercials became too frequent and annoying. Now I use Google Play. Same concept, train-able stations and fewer commercials, and if you pay it's commercial free. Great sound. Sirius has one station I really like, "Deep Tracks." Tom Petty had his own show on that station, where he introduced the songs and talked about the history.

I don't remember the training in Pandora working that great. It would be ok at first, then eventually the station would only play songs by a few of the bands you liked and stop playing anything else. Then I'd need to start over with a new station.

I don't remember the training in Pandora working that great. It would be ok at first, then eventually the station would only play songs by a few of the bands you liked and stop playing anything else. Then I'd need to start over with a new station.
You may have told it you didn't like too many songs, or not given enough suggestions. I can tell you I never had that problem.

I wish it could have been the other way around and Pandora could have bought Sirius instead. :(

Why would Pandora want to buy out a "dying" company? Pandora is smart taking the cash while the gettin's good--with the ever-increasing number of streaming services popping up, I'm sure they see a possible decline in their own revenues, just due to increased competition entering the market.

Why would Pandora want to buy out a "dying" company? Pandora is smart taking the cash while the gettin's good--with the ever-increasing number of streaming services popping up, I'm sure they see a possible decline in their own revenues, just due to increased competition entering the market.
I was simply trying to make the point that I much prefer Pandora over Sirius.

As for it being a dying company; I've seen many companies that have been poorly run and taken over only to be turned around and made profitable by people who have a better understanding of what their customers want.

As for it being a dying company; I've seen many companies that have been poorly run and taken over only to be turned around and made profitable by people who have a better understanding of what their customers want.

I totally understand this, and agree, but I just think the "lifespan" of satellite radio is nearing its end, so Sirius/XM is looking to remain current by purchasing a streaming service like Pandora, while they still have the cash to do it--and the infrastructure is already in place.

I think Pandora is smart for selling out, because the streaming market is already getting "crowded" with new competing services, and there are only more on the way, so their value has probably about peaked, so the sale makes sense to maximize investors' value.

The owner of Liberty News Media has been bank rolling Sirius XM for the last 4 years buying up stock and investing.
Warren Buffet added Sirius to his Hathway Berkshire portfolio last year. I wouldnt bet against Buffet with his track record,eventually Sirius XM will be worldwide.

Can someone explain to me what Pandora actually is?

Internet streaming music service that you can access via your smartphone/tablet/computer. You can select music specifically, or by artist/genre and it is somewhat "intuitive" at building playlists based on your selections/preferences.

Back
Top Bottom