Sjoerd

Sjoerd

Hello everyone, my name is Sjoerd. I live in The Netherlands. I like audio, volleyball and skiing. My most recent buy are a pair of Acoustic Research loudspeakers, somewhat dirty and damaged and lacking identification, but I believe them to be a pair of AR3 and they sound really nice. I'm fixing them up and planning on enjoying them in the living room. Not bad for €30 I thought...
I am also a veterinarian working as a resident in veterinary pathology. This takes up most of my days so there's not as much time for hobbies as I'd like to have.

Hello and welcome to AK! Where in The Netherlands are you? You have an absolutely beautiful country and I hope to go back again one day :thmbsp:

Sjoerd,

Welcome! I'm new too... I wish I lived in the Netherlands for roughly the next week, because if I did:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sid=m37&satitle=280148341544&category0=&fvi=1

Unfortunately, shipping alone would be 300 Euros to Texas...

Ah well, so much for that one...

Anyway, I have horses(thoroughbreds) and Great Danes, so like bully, a fair chunk of my wallet goes to veterinary care also.

Welcome, and enjoy! Truly fascinating and engaging people here!

Mark

Welcome to the AK forum!!
My son-in-law is from Brugges, Belgium.
I think that is near the southern border of your country?

Steve

Thank you all for your kind welcome! I live in De Bilt, a smallish town near Utrecht, right in the middle of the country. Utrecht has the only faculty of veterinary medicine in The Netherlands.
Brugge (the Dutch way to write the name of that town) is indeed not too far from our southern border, Steve.

Funny how people often will say something about veterinary care costing a lot of money. One of my small frustrations is the misconception that the vets actually get rich from it. After taxes, most of us are somewhere between 20 and 40 k per year (I'm not saying there aren't any rich vets). Anyway I don't work in practice anymore but in the university where pay is even more modest.

Sjoerd,

Oh no, I don't think vets get rich. When my equine veterinarian makes a barn call, give every horse shots, treats minor ailments, and hands me a $500 bill, I just remember what it would cost if it were humans being treated...

No, my equine vet is very reasonable, and a super lady. No, I cast no jabs at veterinarians... Important people in my life.

Mark

Welcome to AK ! One of my best friends is in large-animal practice, I've been the "wrangler" a few times on cow calls. I don't begrudge you guys anything you make...Vets have basically the same initial training as "real" doctors do, and "real" doctors generally don't have to worry about being kicked, bitten...And their patients can usually tell them what's wrong-a vet has to guess a lot of the time. More often than not, a vet isn't called until its too late to do anything-yet they always give it their best shot. Low pay, long hours, thankless job- at least you're in a teaching position now.

Welcome to AK, Sjoerd.

Post a picture of that AR on the Speakers thread and all that is mystery will be revealed!

I live in De Bilt, a smallish town near Utrecht, right in the middle of the country. Utrecht has the only faculty of veterinary medicine in The Netherlands.
Brugge (the Dutch way to write the name of that town) is indeed not too far from our southern border, Steve.

I asked where you are because I have relatives that live in Amsterdam on Damrak and several others just outside of Amsterdam. I also have a distant relative that is buried in Holsten Canadian War Cemetery, he died in the battle for Arnhem right near the end of the war. The Dutch and the Canadian sure do have a special bond and relationship :thmbsp:

Welcome to AK Sjoerd, and a vet too!

With some friends who are vets, I can vouch for your statement about finances.

You are in the presence of many animal lovers (and other vets) too :yes:

I think that howiebrou (in the McIntosh Forum) is a vet in Hong Kong...he has some beautiful bulldogs!

Now where's Fotno!?

Back
Top Bottom