Skin itching and burning? possible source(s)

Since you mentioned Wine, the sulfites in wine sometimes cause problems for me. At your consumption level it's doubtful. But worth trying a sulfite free wine just to be sure.

"Added sulfites may sometimes cause negative side effects, like nasal congestion, an itchy throat, a runny nose, skin rash, and hives in some people. It has been reported in medical literature that less than 1% of people have a strong allergic reaction to sulfites"

Have had similar problems since 2014. The biggest change I made was telling my Dr. to give me a different blood pressure medicine; amlodipine can cause this, and I have a relative who had same symptoms with that drug to back me up. Made some dietary changes; I cut down the caffeine, and now only drink tea and the rare diet Coke; beer-wise, IPAs seemed to heat things up. Clothing: bye bye polyester *anything*; it never really gets clean, imo. Edit: I almost forgot, have been looking into Blue #2, which is in everything from food to blue jeans. Haven't made up my mind there.

One response I must urgently disagree with is using tea tree oil; all it did was burn my skin, even when diluted. Skin thins out as we age, so your mileage may vary.

Something unhealthy with the rower or gym facility:dunno:

Could be; I know my problems were made worse during travel by using hotel laundry right after a wrestling tournament went through. Bleach and rinse the hell out of everything now. There's a world of irritants out there, and as my new dermatologist said yesterday, "sometimes we can't find the cause". So I settle for a strong steroid cream for the occasional flareup and leave it at that.

So I settle for a strong steroid cream for the occasional flareup and leave it at that.

I did that for 12 years. Now, the issues I have caused by long term steroid use far exceeds the problem it was supposed to help. Been off them for a year and a half, and still waiting for the side effects to subside. Some say it can take several years.

My dad, at about age 60, suddenly developed hives, big red itchy splotches. Went to an allergist, eliminated everything but rice, lamb and peaches, and started adding foods one at a time. Turned out he had suddenly developed an allergy to CORN. At age 60. So anything can happen. It was a PITA to eliminate all corn products as you can imagine. Eventually the problem went away and he was normal again. :dunno:

I've broken out in the hives three times starting with a nasty case late on New Year's Eve, still no idea what I was reacting too. They have been quite severe, but responded to Benadryl and topicals. Last time was while recovering from pneumonia in February, while on a prescription Z-Pack. I'm coming up on two months since the last time, knock on wood.

You may have become more sensitive over time.....

There are soaps and creams.....and food at Whole Food Market that is chemical free. To include facial and toilet paper.

For detox use Aloe Vera caplets and cream plus golden seal....

Sounds like you are having an allergic reaction to a toxin, I studied anatomy and physiology. Or due to your age toxins are starting to become a problem. This is the time of year they spray herbicides...

Have you made any changes in soaps, lotion, TP, pharmaceuticals....

You don’t eat tuna fish.....do you ???

Do you drink water from plastic bottles or plastic cups ???

Do you only cook with stainless steel ???

Any new restaurants.....MSG ???

Any disorientation or fatigue ????

Smoking a different strain of cannabis that may have been sprayed...try Clear Choice as a better choice.

I did that for 12 years. Now, the issues I have caused by long term steroid use far exceeds the problem it was supposed to help. Been off them for a year and a half, and still waiting for the side effects to subside. Some say it can take several years.

I've been using mine very sparingly, and not every day, as I know it's no free lunch.

I've been using mine very sparingly, and not every day, as I know it's no free lunch.
I didn't know they had any effect, or at least didn't see the connection. Looking back, I also used it sparingly, so the issues were sporadic. What brought it all to a head was when I had an accident that damaged my left eye. For a solid year I was on steroid medication to keep the pressure in my eye down. That, mixed with the cream, was too much.

My eye is now healed, and I can control the rash spots with diluted bleach, so I'm completely off the steroids, but the "withdrawal", if you want to call it that, lingers on. Hopefully it will eventually subside.

Have your doctor prescribe a very old fashioned antihistamine called hydroxizine. It may drop the effects and reduces you having to rub stuff on your skin. I would also get a full allergy scan. They are simple these days.

Not to be a downer but get a through checkup .More serious and even life threating things can also cause that type of itching.Liver problems and pancreatic cancer come to mind.Again not trying to be a downer or scare you but I wouldn't be a very good audio karma citizen if I didn't at least mention it.

So, a couple of updates. I forgot to mention. Since this has started I get random red splotches on my skin, usually on my arms, hands, legs, and feet. They can be 1/4" in size to about 2-3" of various shapes. They come and go, sometimes they are itchy. Sunday I washed my truck, got some nice soapy water mixed with Dawn dish detergent. Hose in right hand, sponge in the left. The truck cleaned up nicely in spite of the rain. Had a quite Sunday evening and went to bed. About 2 or 3 hours later I woke up from a sound sleep, my left hand and lower arm were on fire and itching madly! Grabbed the Zertec and waited for it to do it's stuff, which eventually allowed me to go back to sleep. Although the medicine worked to a degree I was still itching quite a bite over the next couple of days. During that time I refrained from any hand washing of dishes.
Last night I stopped taking medicine when I realized the itching had stopped. Almost 24 hours later and no more itching. Is it possible Dawn dish soap is the culprit? I've used Dawn for many years, cuts grease like mad, great for car washing too, but maybe...?

You should avoid contact with detergents. Wear lined vinyl (not rubber) gloves to do dishes.

When I occasionally get that itchy feeling, its related to taking showers with the water too hot,,, it dries out the skin, similar to sunburn... cooler showers and its gone in a day or two...

Does the Weed You sometimes smoke have only 3 leaves? untitled.png All Joking aside My Wife did the same thing for about 3 weeks it drove her crazy but her DR took Her off one of Her meds. She is also 60yrs old. The itching went away. Good Luck with This and God Bless You Friend............:angel:

What side effects did the steroid cream cause?

Glyphosate AKA Roundup is used quite a bit in farming a lot of our food, and the estrogen mimickers can wreak havoc on our digestive system contributing to leaky gut syndrome and skin conditions and a myriad of other things....
Do your best to eat strictly and only organic that you know is truly organic and not just labeled that.....
If you eat at any restaurants make sure it's only pure organic, and do this long enough at least for a few months and see if there is a change.
Ever since Monsanto has gotten a Stranglehold on much of our food supply in the USA it seems there are numerous problems with people's immune systems their guts, their skin, food allergies especially in young children...
And with the Advent of genetically modified foods I think one of the first approved by the Food and Drug Administration in the USA was a tomato in 1993... There are so many people with problems with their health resulting from frankenfoods.
Artificial sweeteners another evil....
Do some research on everything behind aspartame and its origins in our food supply and what that stuff started out as....
Stevia is the only alternative to sugar that has far less calories and comes from a naturally grown stevia plant.
If we can only have real food again not adulterated by man and the food industry corporate mindset being worried about the bottom line and not caring about risking the health of humanity.
So first and foremost look to what you ingest and get as strict as possible with a written Journal of what you've eaten dated in the journal.... Make sure in the journal you put notations about your condition after eating everything and drinking on any particular day.
The journal has got to help reveal what in your diet could be causing it.....
I sometimes wonder if it's that seven year cycle of our telomeres that opens up us to certain predispositions in our DNA that are unavoidable.... This would be my last concluding thought if nothing worked in a changed diet.

Its possible your allergic to the soap.My friend had a issue with javex.On a side note don't use dishsoap to was your car or truck.Dish soap strips the wax from your vehicle.Use auto soap.Of course if you wax your car or truck after the wash it most likely doesn't matter .

Back
Top Bottom