SL-1200 Rebirth in May 2017

This is a newer, less expensive version of the one introduced last year, the SL1200GR. It is suppose to sell for around $2,000 rather then the other one that is selling for $4,000

This is a newer, less expensive version of the one introduced last year, the SL1200GR. It is suppose to sell for around $2,000 rather then the other one that is selling for $4,000

I'm going to blame distraction by the ads.

I am concerned about the cheaper motor on the GR. It is completely unlike the $4k GAE model's motor. Glad to see it's back however.

I still prefer red LEDs on the strobe- blue is brutal and so over done. Soon there will be 'mods' to go back to RED leds just like the modders went to blue back in the 2000s. :)

Yeah, If it doesn't have an improved motor, I'll keep my SL-1200MK2

I'd like to see an actual measurement based technical review on the new model when it comes outs, but I'm not holding my breath.

It seems the the SL1200GR is lighter than the old SL1200mk2, its specs are essentially the same, but the W&F is quoted at 0.025% WRMS whereas the old SL1200mk2 had the secondary 0.01% WRMS for the platter and motor alone.

It's price is reasonable and I think it will sell in numbers. Overall it is a great thing they brought it back.

I must admit, the SL-1210GR in black is very appealing...

Somebody needs to buy one, do a complete strip-down and compare with the original part-by-part. At the outset the new gimbal is much thicker (which might not be a bad thing), but the same item it ain't.

I don't much like the wording of the webpage ad, either - it clearly having been written to appeal to the younger generation. I do miss those quality 1980s brochures, with the beautiful airbrushed cutaway views and world-class photography.

Last edited:
I saw the limited edition model in action at the Rocky Mountain audio fest last year. It was really nice with a ortofon black cart on all technics gear. It was cool to see one but when he said the price I almost fell out the chair. It pretty much had the same sonic signature as my 1200 M3d. For 4K the VPI sound superior to me at least to my ears. I would love for someone to do a side by side comparison. There's a guy on YouTube that has one and sounds pretty good. He said the differences are noticeable.

The trouble is, no-one spending $2k to $4k on a brand new table is going to do a tear down alongside a classic 1200mk2. Not even I would want to dismantle a brand new 1200GR table with nothing wrong with it just to show some others on the internet.

I agree with the poor description on the website, the complete lack of detail and I agree, it's appealing to a new non-technical market. I certainly miss the way companies used to tout their gear with detailed cutaways, specifics and testing regimes.

That said, I'd have one in a heartbeat, although I don't need one- I have 2 mint SL1200mk2s (one unused).

They could sell a bajillion of these things at $4-500. These prices are crazy out of line. I'd go with the Audio Technica PL-120 for $300 all day over this.

The trouble is, no-one spending $2k to $4k on a brand new table is going to do a tear down alongside a classic 1200mk2. Not even I would want to dismantle a brand new 1200GR table with nothing wrong with it just to show some others on the internet.

I agree with the poor description on the website, the complete lack of detail and I agree, it's appealing to a new non-technical market. I certainly miss the way companies used to tout their gear with detailed cutaways, specifics and testing regimes.

That said, I'd have one in a heartbeat, although I don't need one- I have 2 mint SL1200mk2s (one unused).
You may as well shine a bat signal that says @JP on it.

So just curious here but is the Technics sl-1200 more-less the "Nakamichi dragon" of turntables?
Not trying to compare apples to oranges here, just seems the sl-1200 fetches quite a pretty penny.

Thousands of people requested Technics bring back the 1200 and they did with two models so far with the GR being the base model priced pretty much where we thought it would be at about $2K. The price is not crazy out of line. Someone is dreaming if they think a table could be made in Japan today with Japanese mfg parts by Japanese technicians for $400-$500. Technics never intended to compete for the bottom rung of tables with Hanpin..

Thousands of people requested Technics bring back the 1200 and they did with two models so far with the GR being the base model priced pretty much where we thought it would be at about $2K. The price is not crazy out of line. Someone is dreaming if they think a table could be made in Japan today with Japanese mfg parts by Japanese technicians for $400-$500. Technics never intended to compete for the bottom rung of tables with Hanpin..
You're very likely right about the price point with Japanese manufacture. The larger point is that I've never considered a 1200 to be an audiophile deck worth $2k. The reputation of the 1200 is that it's incredibly durable and a workhorse and the quintessential DJ deck. It's always been a high end consumer turntable. Most people spending that kind of money on a turntable aren't looking for durability for transport and DJ'ing. They're looking for a show horse, not a workhorse. In that price range, you get a VPI or a tricked out Rega, Music Hall or ClearAudio. I don't care how they upgrade the 1200, it really doesn't compete with those turntables.
Moreover, most DJs can't afford turntables that expensive. It seems as though they have grossly misjudged their demographics. Perhaps I'm just bitter that they brought back a turntable I'd be interested in, but put it way out of my price range, and I suspect I'm not the only one. What was the MSRP of the 1200 when it went out of production? That's what people wanted back, not what is basically a wannabe audiophile turntable nobody can afford. It's like they're trying to jump up a rung on the ladder here, and I don't imagine a lot of people buying in.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom