SL 1700 mk2 no suspension

Roger G F

I picked this table up and it plays fine but there is absolutly no suspension hard as a rock!

Where do I start?

Thanks!

First thing to check: Are the suspension screws still in place or not? Lift up the platter according to these instructions (it can be a bit tricky on these as there isn't much room under the platter for your fingers): https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/sl1200platter.htm

Look for 4 (if I recall correctly) screws around the edge of the platter. If they are there, remove them and see how the suspension is. If it needs adjusting, it can be done with a 7mm long socket wrench. It is possible, however, that no amount of adjusting will fix it; I currently have this problem with the rear springs on my SL-1600 mk2 and am trying to solve it.

Ben

Look for 4 (if I recall correctly) screws around the edge of the platter. If they are there, remove them and see how the suspension is. If it needs adjusting, it can be done with a 7mm long socket wrench.

It is possible, however, that no amount of adjusting will fix it; I currently have this problem with the rear springs on my SL-1600 mk2 and am trying to solve it.

Ben

Both of you, post some pictures of the suspension/feet if you run into trouble. :idea:

Plenty of expertise on this forum.

Both of you, post some pictures of the suspension/feet if you run into trouble. :idea:

Plenty of expertise on this forum.
That is a great idea, thank you! I will do so soon, as I am currently listening to mine (with the rear suspension screw installed :p). What exactly should I take a picture of, the springs looking down?

Ben

That is a great idea, thank you! I will do so soon, as I am currently listening to mine (with the rear suspension screw installed :p). What exactly should I take a picture of, the springs looking down?

Ben

From top down and from the bottom if not too much trouble.

May be parts missing? :idea:

I currently have this problem with the rear springs on my SL-1600 mk2 and am trying to solve it.

You need to take out the transit mount pillars. My 1600mk2 did the same.

They are white plastic screwed from the bottom. I think there was 4? (it was a while ago now) Once you remove them, the chassis has a bit more 'float'. Long term, the springs need to be re-tensioned.

1600.JPG

Last edited:
You need to take out the transit mount pillars. My 1600mk2 did the same.

They are white plastic screwed from the bottom. I think there was 3? (it was a while ago now) Once you remove them, the chassis has a bit more 'float'. Long term, the springs need to be re-tensioned.

I see, I think I may have seen one of what you're talking about while looking towards the back spring with the platter and plastic cover removed. Is it as simple as flipping it over and unscrewing them, or does it require further disassembly?

Is it as simple as flipping it over and unscrewing them, or does it require further disassembly?

No need to flip it over- save the risk of them disappearing inside. Slide the deck over the edge of the table a little and unscrew them one at a time, then put your fingers in and take them out. Start with the back one- you'll be surprised how much more 'float' you gain. Right now, I'd say your deck is sitting hard on the top of that pillar as mine was.

No need to flip it over- save the risk of them disappearing inside. Slide the deck over the edge of the table a little and unscrew them one at a time, then put your fingers in and take them out. Start with the back one- you'll be surprised how much more 'float' you gain. Right now, I'd say your deck is sitting hard on the top of that pillar as mine was.
Great, I'll try that as soon as I'm done with this album! Are they the pillars that the transport screws screw into?

Yes Mine still had the transport screws in from the top. I will pull the pillars out tonight then level with 7 mm long scoket that I will buy today and report back.

How to you get at the one on the left pulled out? From the bottom?

How DO you get at the one on the left pulled out? From the bottom?

I removed mine when I had the entire unit apart.

You wouldn't need to do that however. Download the technical bulletin from vinyl engine for the 1600mk2- it has the procedure for removing the base from the top. You'd not need to go all the way, just enough to partially lift the base and the pillar will come out.

On my 1700MkII i just unscrewed the ones on the top under the platter and it had enough spring where I didnt remove the pillars.

Nashou

I removed mine when I had the entire unit apart.

You wouldn't need to do that however. Download the technical bulletin from vinyl engine for the 1600mk2- it has the procedure for removing the base from the top. You'd not need to go all the way, just enough to partially lift the base and the pillar will come out.

Learned something! :thumbsup:

None of my SL-1600 MKII (3) or SL-1700 MKI & MKII have the pillars (all second hand).

Did not even know of their existence until you mentioned them! :rolleyes:

I will try to adjust without removing the Pilar’s and report back. It is really out of level after removing the packing screws.

So I successfully removed the pillars but now it seems as the suspension at the rear is really sagging.

I tried adjusting the springs on the bottom but it does not seem to respond.

Any advise?

Thanks
Roger

So I successfully removed the pillars but now it seems as the suspension at the rear is really sagging.

I tried adjusting the springs on the bottom but it does not seem to respond.

Any advise?

Thanks
Roger

The turn table springs were factory adjusted, try the original setting for a while and report any problems.

Don't forget that the weight and components of the the unit are not evenly distributed.

One side is heavier than the other and so is the the front and back.

The load on each spring are different.

If you you don't have any serious feedback or have footfall issue, then you are good. :)

Ugh, not sure what the factory settings are on the springs.

The back 2 seem to have no spring at all. No matter what direction I turn the screw to tension or un-tension the springs on the rear of the deck it does not change the height on the rear of the platter and it is dragging.

Is it possible someone had this appart and put it together wrong on the suspension. I will probably take it completely appart to check...

Back
Top Bottom