SL1700 Actually SL1710 Model Questions

Shortedout

Looks like I originally posted this in the wrong place so I am reposting here. Finally got my Technics turntable today its a SL1710 and I am keen on fixing a few things. I wanted one of these back in the 70's!

I have downloaded both the operating manual and the repair manual. Both do not address my questions:

1. Broken tone arm rest. I assume like many others my locking portion was missing but the small rest is still there. Do they still make new ones? I can not locate any. It looks like they are mounted from the back side of the plinth correct?

2. The tone arm needs to be re-dampened as its super fast. I can not find a thread on this and the manual is not very good. I am looking for pictures or diagrams of this assembly to show how it comes apart and where and what type of oil to use.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

2. The tone arm needs to be re-dampened as its super fast. I can not find a thread on this and the manual is not very good. I am looking for pictures or diagrams of this assembly to show how it comes apart and where and what type of oil to use.

Thanks in advance for your inputs!

See the "how to add damping fluid bulletin
en.gif

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/technics/service-bulletins.shtml

You will need some 500,000 weight silicone oil.

Example:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0015YZJAG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 :music:

Take a look at KABUSA and see if they can help you with an armrest. Maybe organ donor parts if KAB does not pan out. ( no affiliation )

Hi Stanton681 unfortunately KABUSA does not have any on their site. Looks like they cater to SL-1200 series which I expect gives the m good business. Also the tone arm rest from ebay for the SL-1200 MK2 is just the top piece and not the same as the SL-1700 and many others. I was looking at these however as I might be able to just file down the one I have and mount the SL1200 unit on top. All I need to do is get the height correct. The SL1200 unit already has a hole for the screw and I can file the post to fit in it........

The good news is I have an early SL1700! This means I can fill the tone arm damper from the top! This is like my first break in a long time with anything technical lol.....

Back
Top Bottom