Sleeper brands... any love for Vintage Teac?

Beaker478

IMG_1392.JPG IMG_1393.JPG
Hi all,
I reckon early Teac are real sleepers. My first vintage buy was a AS100 integrated (40WPC)with matching AT 100 tuner. I am so impressed with the sound it produces. My next Teac was a AG 6500 receiver (50WPC) and this thing is a beast. Great gear at a very reasonable price.
Anyone have opinions on underrated vintage gear?

Hello Beaker
Man, that is a fantastic receiver. I don't remember seeing the old Teacs. I have a small audio/video system which is branded Teac, but i don't think it is really the same company today. I think Radio Shack (Realistic) might fall into the same underrated category. I worked for Radio Shack back in the late 70's and I have some regrets about not taking advantage of my employee discount. From working there, I can tell you that their their overall reputation was very spotty due to their policy of selling/servicing so much junk intermingled with some fairly decent equipment. But there was a lot of money to be made by selling the "all in one (" Clarinet or Clarion"?) line to people who would never consider a nice system.

Hello Beaker
Man, that is a fantastic receiver. I don't remember seeing the old Teacs. I have a small audio/video system which is branded Teac, but i don't think it is really the same company today. I think Radio Shack (Realistic) might fall into the same underrated category. I worked for Radio Shack back in the late 70's and I have some regrets about not taking advantage of my employee discount. From working there, I can tell you that their their overall reputation was very spotty due to their policy of selling/servicing so much junk intermingled with some fairly decent equipment. But there was a lot of money to be made by selling the "all in one (" Clarinet or Clarion"?) line to people who would never consider a nice system.
Yeah, I agree, there's been some quality older gear who cred has been tarnished by cost cutting when financial strains happen.
I also have a soft spot for Hitachi & Optonica

The only Teac receivers I've seen are BPC. I'd love to find some like those but they are probably a fairly elusive find. I have a Sherwood of the same era, sounds great too. They definitely overbuilt gear back then, built like tanks. I also have an Optonica amp, awesome and relatively rare too. You should make sure to hang onto those.

The only Teac I have is a Teac A-2300SD Reel to Reel. Love that machine though. Need to get more tape for it. Those integrateds look wonderful

Teac was best known for their R/R offerings. Still got my A-3340S - built like a tank it is.

Wrong era I know, but I've got an AG D-9100 here that's quite nice. It's been parked a while because it doesn't have optical or HDMI, both of which I need for my AV system.

411WKYX87TL._SX425_.jpg

Teac also had a good line of cassette decks in the 1970s and early 80s. I don't remember seeing any non-tape-related Teacs back then, at least in the US. I believe it's still the same company that it was back then.

Teac was best known for their R/R offerings. Still got my A-3340S - built like a tank it is.

Wrong era I know, but I've got an AG D-9100 here that's quite nice. It's been parked a while because it doesn't have optical or HDMI, both of which I need for my AV system.

411WKYX87TL._SX425_.jpg

Always surprises when I see this. If your TV has an ARC HDMI port you can get a ~$20 "audio extractor" that splits the audio off as digital TOSlink or coax, then run that off in to a dedicated DAC. Use whatever receiver, integrated, or pre/power amp combo you want.

Early TEAC did build very respected no nonsense gears. I have a AG-3000 receiver, 36w but really powerful, rarely need to turn halfway already loud enough!

Back
Top Bottom