Sliding Patio Door Manufacturers: Thoughts?

mfrench

Addicted Member
The wife and I are considering having a couple of exterior sliding doors installed; one as a retrofit (perhaps?) on our patio, and the other, as a new install, to replace a smaller window in our master bedroom, to gain access to the outside directly from the bedroom.
We took a look at consumer affairs website, and got scared as can be. The reviews on the big three names were horrible - Pella, Anderson, and Milgard, all were abysmally low ratings.
Now, realizing that consumer affairs is most likely going to be fielding complaints, and not love notes, were not sure how unbiased that source of info is, but we thought we'd look. And we've become cautious.
So, I thought I'd put a thread here, and find out opinions from amongst this peer group.
Has anyone had any similar work done?
Any suggestions for other manufacturers?
etc. etc., to any missed points.

Thanks!

I don't have experience with their sliding doors, but I've been impressed with the quality of the Sunrise brand windows that I bought earlier this year. My wife and I went with the Restorations by Sunrise brand in preference to Renewal by Andersen, Pella, and Marvin.

We had Simonton windows and 9 ft.sliding glass doors put in 15 years ago. A few small window crank problems with the casements, but nothing major. Good customer service. I would buy them again. The sliding glass doors are seemingly well made.

The one window that isn't a Simonton, a Milgard, has fogged between window layers. Windows were expensive back then. Prices seem to have dropped since.

I like Milgards. I use them almost exclusively. I've never had a callback. Like you said, consumer sites get the negative posts more then positive reviews.

Get 3 or 4 quotes and ask them how they will instal them. Flashings, pan, sealants, trim, flange or no flange, etc.

The header in the wall (master bedroom) will need to be changed. More than likely, it now is a 2x6 header. To open the wall wider to allow for the sliding door, you'll need a minimum 2x10 header. It's not a huge problem, but expect it to add expense and time to the project. Is the exterior brick?

I've used quite a few Jeld-Wen doors and windows and have been happy with the quality and performance of them. Anderson have also been very good but a little more expensive if I remember correctly.
One thing that makes a big difference is a quality installation, making sure to use the proper materials, correct practices, making sure the opening is square and level with the proper pitch and flashing go a long way toward a reliable and trouble free door installation.

I have had both jeld wen and milgard and I think of the two, milgard seems to be a slightly better built door. For example, the mechanical latching system on the milgard is a much better system than the jeld wen, or at least of the models I have owned.

We took a look at consumer affairs website, and got scared as can be. The reviews on the big three names were horrible - Pella, Anderson, and Milgard, all were abysmally low ratings.

The "horrible" ratings of the "big three" are most likely attributable to poor installation. I am a contractor, and install a lot of windows from different manufactures. For the record, I have ALL Anderson windows in my own home (including three sliding doors), and have never had an issue--but I bought the appropriate product and installed them correctly. Granted, the "big three" garner "premium" prices, and "correct" installation is not necessarily recommended to be done by the lowest bidder, so you do kind of "get what you pay for".

I am in NW PA, and do work in PA, OH, WV and MD, and there are a number of local vendors that fabricate custom windows/doors and offer excellent products with great customer service/warranties at substantially lower prices than the "big three". Not sure if this is true for your region, but it is definitely something to look into--just keep in mind that probably 90% of all "failures" that I have seen have been due to improper installations--the old adage "if it don't fit--force it" does not apply here. If a window/door is improperly installed, there is a high propensity for failure/problems in the future, and does not necessarily reflect upon the quality of the product.

If I were you, I'd be more interested in vetting the contractor than the actual product--great products installed by "fly by night" idiots will not have a great end-result. And their typical response (if there is an issue) is "contact the manufacturer"--and they skate their own responsibility--seen it hundreds of times.

I have Anderson in a couple houses. The sliders are nice. All quite old now. One actually installed, uninstalled and reinstalled in another location.

What I don't like is their 90s products fogged. They replaced a few, then set a guy to "service" them.
Well, after the service and the warranty ran out, they fogged. Its not serious, but passed me off. They should have replaced. They admitted that the design was faulty and process was new at the time.

One home is full of custom windows that all fogged. Company is gone. Installation was questionable.

I am going to need new windows in the one home and may be the worst customer ever.
I can smell BS.
I do not want a "new process" again.
Windows are not rocket science and window companies are not NASA.

Door installation is a skill and that is the key point. A master installer is important.
I do most of my own everything, learned some tricks from masters and internet and have a working brain and see some really messed up attempts at many things.

I think a guy can get good product and installation without going broke.

I usually specify the higher-end Marvin or Andersen in my residential projects. I have rarely seen any window or door failures from these industry standards - as others have said, proper installation is imperative. Make sure to specify low-e glass if sun falls on the opening.

Anderson...had mine replaced a few years ago along with a couple of windows from a company out of Escondido.

Another possibility depending on space and use would be to use a swinging door instead of a slider, I have installed these type of doors usually with one fixed door and the other swinging ( but they are available with both doors operating) in replacement of sliders. These doors avoid some of the typical sliding issues, but do utilize more inside space to accommodate the door swing. They also are more easily locked and unlocked from outside, can be very important if the door will be used often as an initial entrance or exit from the home.
Personally I prefer these doors in cases where either door could be used I nearly always go with a swinging door.

I think the quality of the installation and the skill of the craftsman is more significant than the door itself. Find a reputable installer and listen to what they say about which brands/models they prefer...

+1 on this observation, which also applies to heating and A/C systems. Poor installation can turn even the best windows and doors into unsatisfactory performers. I personally had never heard of Sunrise windows before I started soliciting window quotes, but a contractor who had previously done outstanding work on my house recommended them. After looking at the samples he brought and comparing them to Andersen and Marvin, I was convinced that they were at least as good as the big-name brands. I had the first 13 windows installed in March and am completely satisfied with the windows and the installation job. That same contractor will be coming back this fall to replace the remaining 12 old windows.

Long ago, we had the lousy original (wood) Brand X sliding door replaced with an expensive Pella slider at our old house in MA.
The (all wood) Pella rotted out very quickly.
We replaced that with a paintable/stainable fiberglass Harvey slider which was a much better choice for us.
Not sure how common Harvey is outside of New England, but dollar for dollar I think their products are quite good.

DSC_7639 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Andersen house here -- windows and doors. Self-installed; central Ohio. Used them in the last house, too. We haven't done sliders anywhere, but did use Andersen french doors (single and double) as main entry doors -- multiple daily uses on each. They hold up well, seal tight with top and bottom latches, and the double french doors give you a double-wide opening with no center post/astragal. Great for loading in the occasional grand piano or Paragon. As stated above, install is the key to good performance.

I’ve had good luck with ThermoTech windows and doors. Good product at an affordable price. Well worth checking out.

Back
Top Bottom