Slight tick sound

bluefan

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
So I am stepping into a digital arrangement. Running an HP all-in-one.. feeding flac and DSD via USB to a Wyard4Sound DAC. I am using JRiver23 software. When I play the music, a slight tick sound appears from time to time... once every minute or so... you can only hear it during soft melodies/movements... the tick sound is like a slight static click from an album... but I am picky and it bothers me.

- when I stop playing music through the PC/JRiver software.. dead sound.. no tick
- when pumping a CD feed via a pioneer CD player into the DAC .. no ticks
- I am using a relatively inexpensive USB wire between the PC and DAC

May there be a basic fix for this as in upgrading the USB cable? I would assume many other trouble shooting steps could be involved.. but just wondering if there may be a quick solution for this newbie.

Aside from what may be the cause of this, I just can't see how a cable can create a tick in the sound. When you run JRiver, are there other programs running on the surface at the same time. I have found over the years that browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome and others can inject noise into your computer system. I am just grasping at straws here, but you never can be sure where extra audio noise can come from.

Running Windows? I had a lot a trouble with Win10 until I set the task priority for the playback software, I use Foobar2000, to high.

Yep. Running windows 10. I will run JRiver again without chrome running. I tend to leave chrome up out of habit.

Not sure if that will help. I had to change task priority. Open the task manager. Not at the PC right now. One of the tabs will show the priority. Default is normal. Right click and change to high. If this helps then I can offer a way so the program will automatically start up in high.

It's the 'details' tab. Right click the app and you will see a set priority choice. Do Not choose real time as you might lock up the computer. Set to High.

Back
Top Bottom