Slimdevices: New "Transporter" vs. Squeezebox

Njord Noatun

As I went to Slimdevices' web site today I found the company has launched a product called "Transporter".

I am trying to understand the product: From reading the information on the site, it seems to be that the Transporter is similar in functionality, albeit a higher end product, to the Squeezebox.

Am I rigth in my understanding that the Squeezebox and Transporter are similar in terms of the functionality they offer, i.e. providing a bridge between digital audio files and a stereo? The fact that they sell the Transporter with the Squeezebox as a "bonus" buy leads me to believe that I may be wrong in this assumption.

Thanks for any clarifications.

Rgds,

You are correct that the Transporter is a higher quality version of their Squeezebox. They offer a Squeezebox in the bundle because most people don't have two reference systems in their home and are willing to live with a lesser network device for the bedroom (or other secondary system).

I would believe the Transporter is the 1st of many high-end units and the price will inevitably come down.

I wouldn't say it's a tweaked out Squeezebox, it's a product that does very much the same thing but is designed and built with much higher end parts. It's not as if you could take a Squeezebox, replace a few parts, and get a Transporter.

I am using a squeezebox with a custom made linear power supply (the only mod) and a Lite DAC60 tube DAC. Sound quality is fantastic.

I contemplated a Transporter but ultimately decided to invest in a VPI turntable instead.

I might upgrade next year, but right now I'm very happy with what I have.

Back
Top Bottom