Sluggo's 1,000th post,Time for an Intro!

Sluggo

Greetings to everyone~

I sign my name Mark,But Ive been called Sluggo
since I was a Wee Lad.I'll answer to it on the street
and I gladly answer to it here!
My big brother in the mid 70's,sat me down in front
of some Phase linear gear hooked up to a pair of
Speakerlab speakers he built and put on the LP by
Pink Floyd "Meddle".After the 100th time asking if
he would put it on again,He showed me how to operate his Turntable and system.After being satisfied
I was carefull with his gear and music,I had open axcess to his record collection and it changed my life.
The act of putting a record on a TT,Cleaning it and lowering the tonearm was a Spiritual thing to me,
Something Sacred about going through those motions
Live performances became my thrill and still have half
of the ticket stubs from some of the shows.
The obsession with music remained,but the gear that
played it was never "Realized".

In the 90's I tried collecting some gear,but could never hold onto any of it,as I was having a battle with the bottle and everything was disposable.
After alot of changes,I started to get into the gear aspect of music again and in early 2,006 stumbled upon AK that was Linked by "Thevintageknob"
(Thank you sooo much Axel) and here I am today.
This community to me, is a living example of how people can work together with respect and passion,
Good intentions and the will to Share,It makes me :tears:Thank you all for your Valiant efforts!

I like it all(when it comes to audio)But Vintage Sony
has found a place in my heart,and Im making room
for Yamaha.Lots of speakers in my small abode from
Polk SDA's to Ohm acoustics,Dynaco's,PSB's,Advents.

Bio-I worked as a Professional Wildland firefighter
for 17 years as a Smokejumper,Hotshot foreman,
Helitack and Fire engine boss for the US Forest service and National Park service,Alaska Fire service
BLM.When not on the fireline,I would commercial
fish in Alaska for Salmon,Halibut and Crab.
I have always had a Passion for Food and Cooking
and have "Retired" from playing in fire,to playing with fire as a Professional Chef.
I plan to do a Restaurant series of recipies in the
Cooking & spirits forum and hope to see you there
and everywhere here on AK.

I live in Western Washington in a small seaport town,
In a cabin, in the woods on 8 acres,with the Olympic
National Park for my backyard!

Very Glad to be here-Sluggo!

Last edited:
Nice to meet you Sluggo. Where were you in Alaska? My daughter was a naturalist at Denali State Park, stationed at the Princess Lodge. Now she's in Grand Teton National Park. Brien.

Greetings, Sluggo! Sounds like you've living a full life, to say the least. I share your feelings that there is something spiritual in the ritual of cleaning a record and playing it on a table. Especially if its a good pressing!

One question for you, Bullwinkle- when the heck are you coming back to cable? TV cartoons have sucked ever since. :)

Nice to have met you Sluggo. Great intro and congrats on your 1000 posts....I too did a little of that Wild-land Firefighting, one season with the Kernville Hellitac unit @ Sequoia Nat. Forest in what seems like a lifetime ago. I am a Professional Chef as well. There are few us Chef's hanging around AK, and it's always a pleasure to meet another.

Bill

Sluggo, your neck of the woods is a real paradise! I wish you the best of luck with your new career!

Hey Mark,

It's been a pleasure. I hope to make it out to the Olympic Peninsula again to do some more winter steelhead fishing. It's beautiful country up there.

Look forward to some tasty recipes!

Carl

Nice t'have ya here....1K posts, huh? Gangin' up on yer ol' Unca Sandy ?!? Well...We'll see 'bout that ! <grin>

We're glad you're here too! Your cabin looks really cool. But I hope not too cool in the winter time. :D I hope you get to take advantage of your backyard often. :thmbsp:

Great intro post, Mark! :thmbsp:

Since your 1000 post milestone is your "official" intro, let me give you an "official" Welcome to AK! :music:

Well I have a long way to go to catch up to you. I guess I need to spend more time on AK and less time working, eating, sleeping, daydreaming, etc. Congrats on you 1000th!:yes:

Back
Top Bottom