SMAC email list is dead

jmathers

For the past month, Google has been periodically rejecting messages I send to the group as a whole as SPAM. It's clearly time we moved on to another alternative for Sales messages and other messages to this group. Anything I send to the group at this point is rejected by Google to the majority of members.

Unfortunately, I don't know what that alternative is yet. I created a Google Group but it won't let me invite more than ten members at once so when I have more time I can try that out. But sending out 30 messages to ten members at a time will take me awhile. And I'm wondering if similar limits will be placed on messages in the future.

Please be patient while I muck about with this critical change in communications. For now, this forum is all we got.

I'd certainly be open to advice from IT-minded folks on the list about other possibly better alternatives to Google Groups. I do know that we could set up our own Gnu listserve but this will not happen overnight.

Jeff

I have created a Google Group for us. See my emails for details.

Let me know if you have questions or concerns.

Last edited:
Looks like you should get daily notification or notified of every message. If you don't you would have to go the groups page to see Jeff's messages.

Let me think about a SMAC only for sale forum. Its possible to do but requires a bit of work on our part. Will talk to you about this soon Jeff. Give me a ring soon.

Dave

10 members. Looks like not many SMACers visit this forum anymore. If you know a SMAC member please refer them to this page for info on how to re-join the group. April's meet may be a very small gathering.

Well, I finally finished emailing everyone on the list about joining the new Google Group. I had to split the list up into 25 or so recipients per email.

At this point I have about 37 members who have received the email and have joined the Google Group. I'm hoping of course that more join as time progresses.

I will formally accept all those members to the new list sometime tonight - it's easier to do them all at once. I imagine - but don't know for sure - that when I accept members to the list that a second email goes back to the member confirming that he/she has indeed joined the group. Can anyone confirm this who joined earlier this week? Dave Millon?

I will send an email out to the joined members tomorrow just as a heads up and test of the group email function. I'll also try to make a couple of announcements - one, that you can now post directly to the group for Sales, and two, that the group exists now and to contact me if things ain't working right for you.

Thanks for hanging with us in this time of change. And thanks to those who quickly joined (or rejoined) SMAC.

Jeff

I finally had a chance to apply to the new list. Weekends are crazy here.

BTW, I've been needling around AK attempting to see if anyone wants to meet up at AXPONA in a couple of weeks. Meeting at, or after, the show on Saturday might work out the best. It might be something to send out on the new list.

I finally had a chance to apply to the new list. Weekends are crazy here.

BTW, I've been needling around AK attempting to see if anyone wants to meet up at AXPONA in a couple of weeks. Meeting at, or after, the show on Saturday might work out the best. It might be something to send out on the new list.

And, now, with the new groups list, you have the power to post that directly to the SMAC members! Glad you made it back to the new SMAC.

Ok, there's like 8 emails in the group I haven't received in Gmail. Is there something I need to do to activate reception?

Ok, I found the email choices and selected every email rather than the no updates.

Hopefully, I'll be seeing them now.

Last edited:
Hang on, Andy, I just applied this morning and haven't been accepted yet. (have I ever REALLY been accepted?) As soon as I am, I'll be sending you funny jokes.

Ok, there's like 8 emails in the group I haven't received in Gmail. Is there something I need to do to activate reception?

Ok, I found the email choices and selected every email rather than the no updates.

Hopefully, I'll be seeing them now.

I think that the setting you changed is not retroactive. So anything sent previous to your change you won't get. However, you can view all the old messages at the groups page. You should get future emails - I double-checked your settings and it is indeed "All Emails." If it's still a problem, let me know directly.

Hang on, Andy, I just applied this morning and haven't been accepted yet. (have I ever REALLY been accepted?) As soon as I am, I'll be sending you funny jokes.

So you have just been waiting to finally be accepted and then your jokes will become funny?

:naughty:

So you have just been waiting to finally be accepted and then your jokes will become funny?

:naughty:
Maybe he's the first to be unaccepted from the new list. :D

Glad you made it back to the new SMAC.
It's a must. ;) Even though I haven't made it to a meet yet (weekends are pretty much a wash for me, unless it's a Sunday afternoon), I like to stay in the loop.

I'm good now Jeff; it was that email setting. I don't know if that's "No email" is the default, or if I opted out because of being deluged at other sites, but it's working fine now.

I just posted and apparently they go out as emails as I just received it. I wasn't sure if it would go out, so I started to type "mic..." and got all sorts of email addresses suggested, many of which appear to be SMAC'ers.
Has the group grown that much, or is that an archive that Google captured from prior messages sent? It might be an in to get some more folks on board at any rate....

Seems to be working fine here. I'm setting up a Gmail filter so they all wind up in one place. It is cool that we can post directly to it, although I tend to not want to do so, just out of respect for others (and not wanting to flood their inboxes with anything petty).

I don't know if that's "No email" is the default, or if I opted out because of being deluged at other sites, but it's working fine now.

I think I had to check the box myself. I see it as Google playing it safe.

Google Groups is sort of their own outgrowth of the old Usenet newsgroups (they archived many of them over the years). So, the idea is that you can go over there and read through the messages on Groups, and/or optionally get an email when new posts are made. (Vs. flooding people with email, and then having some of them grow annoyed and flag it as spam rather than unsubscribing, which makes matters worse for everyone.)

I just posted and apparently they go out as emails as I just received it. I wasn't sure if it would go out, so I started to type "mic..." and got all sorts of email addresses suggested, many of which appear to be SMAC'ers.
Has the group grown that much, or is that an archive that Google captured from prior messages sent? It might be an in to get some more folks on board at any rate....

Under the main heading there is a member tab and it shows 103 members currently. A couple of years ago when I was playing around with the SMAC list I believe it was in the 250 to 300 range.

Back
Top Bottom