SMAC February 2013

I hope you took that last "ha ha" as purely fun. No offense meant! Guess what I picked up at the flea Sunday? A nice copy of Tea for the Tillerman on A & M. $2.00, no tax!

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I hope you took that last "ha ha" as purely fun. No offense meant! Guess what I picked up at the flea Sunday? A nice copy of Tea for the Tillerman on A & M. $2.00, no tax!

Pure fun, my friend!

Nice find, take a listen and see if you agree...

Happy listening!

Next month or two I'd like to present the room measurement data I've been collecting. Would that be of interest do you guys think?

Missed your final comment and offering Dave, after a reread it hit me square between my highly tuned listening devises. Yes, I for one look forward to your data collection, a presentation, and what it may reveal to us... and believe most of the usual suspects will find it enlightening. As I said when you offered to measure my room and document it with a graph for an archive, this is good stuff!

Happy Listening!

Particularly notice the things the author is LISTENING for when comparing the formats.

Jeff

Interesting article Jeff. Lavorgna uses the terms sense of ease, overall dynamics, relaxed, and larger/more space in his descriptions of the Higher Rez formats. These are differences that I notice when I compare standard CD to SACD/DVDA formats. I'm not sure how much of that I would pick up from a A/B/A type listening experiment in a group setting.

Wish I had a DSD-capable DAC. :scratch2:

Jeff

Maybe I missed it, but unless your buddy is Bruce Brown of Puget Sound Studios, where would one source the DSD files?

Last edited:
Interesting article Jeff. Lavorgna uses the terms sense of ease, overall dynamics, relaxed, and larger/more space in his descriptions of the Higher Rez formats. These are differences that I notice when I compare standard CD to SACD/DVDA formats. I'm not sure how much of that I would pick up from a A/B/A type listening experiment in a group setting.

Exactly my point. I think in A/B/A listening one tends to focus (for a short while anyway:)) on the sound of a cymbal or the bass line and not on these larger issues.

Maybe I missed it, but unless your buddy is Bruce Brown of Puget Sound Studios, where would one source the DSD files?

http://dsd-guide.com/where-can-you-find-dsd-music-downloads

Pretty limited at this point.

SACDs can be ripped with an older Playstation:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-your-ps3-part-2-a-7495/

This is an interesting read:

http://www.audiostream.com/content/dsd-v-pcm-file-comparison-16441-2496-24192-64x-dsd-128x-dsd

Particularly notice the things the author is LISTENING for when comparing the formats.

Wish I had a DSD-capable DAC. :scratch2:

Jeff

Yep, sounds like we have a point man in ML. Read his review on the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC when it posted and was kind of dueling at that point, but the ever moving sands of digital sampling have this analogue animal passed in caution. I think I'll buy in to the hardware seriously, only after all this knowledge is considered obvious, and old news... Also have to do a +2 on Olson's take on SACD vs. red book and how that seems to dovetail the adjectives used by Michael Lavorgna. That is what I hear. And what ML was listening to specifically mates nicely with the comments you made Jeff on Saturday about discerning between tracks.

On a side note, this is why I so strongly condemned the latest Beatles Box set reissue and agree with Art Dudley that, besides poor pressing quality to the colonies, that venture was sub standard and short sighted from the get go.

*Folks, make sure you read down into the second page of commenting beyond the article, there are some interesting issues and concerns being discussed. Like I say, we have a long way to go in this frontier!!!

Happy Listening!

Last edited:
It was a great meet Don, thanks again.. (great food and the gear/home) :thmbsp:

--------

As to the different digital samples, I heard the same thing in every "test" and was able
to pick the low res one each time, meaning I heard a 1 note/larger bass on the first one
but didn't know for sure which format it was, once I was informed which was which on the
first one then everyone after that matched up an the 1 note/larger bass was the lesser file.

Not sure how that translates to the bass I was hearing, an after realizing what I was hearing
I started to also feel that bass was distorted on the lesser files compered to the better ones.

As to the different digital samples, I heard the same thing in every "test" and was able
to pick the low res one each time, meaning I heard a 1 note/larger bass on the first one
but didn't know for sure which format it was, once I was informed which was which on the
first one then everyone after that matched up an the 1 note/larger bass was the lesser file.

Not sure how that translates to the bass I was hearing, an after realizing what I was hearing
I started to also feel that bass was distorted on the lesser files compered to the better ones.

I think you're implying that this would also be easy for most folks to discern. As we all know, your hearing acuity is a little different from most - it's darn near bat-like.:D

Jeff

I think you're implying that this would also be easy for most folks to discern. As we all know, your hearing acuity is a little different from most - it's darn near bat-like.:D

Jeff

Yeah, ears like bats, with near perfect pitch!

It's just Keg's predilection toward heavy metal hair bands that keeps all of us guessing!!!:D

Happy (bat like, digital sample) Listening!

Jeff

No I wasn't trying to imply that. and sorry if it did come off that way. :)

It was just some of what I was reading here looked to imply no one could
reliably detect a difference an attach it to anything concrete was all here.

Oh yah and 80's hair bands Rock!

Back
Top Bottom