SMAC Reference Recordings Disk

jmathers

A couple of members have sets of burned CDs they use for auditioning equipment (or simply enjoying a good mix of music on a snowy afternoon). I'd like to assemble a couple CDs worth of totally high quality (and highly musical) recordings for the group to use as a sort of "Reference" disk set.

Anybody have suggestions of specific individual tracks that we should use? It would be nice (though not mandatory) if folks could say HOW they use the cut to audition systems. For example, Holly Cole's "Temptation" often appears on such disks as a way to gauge a system's bass performance.

I'll give a couple of boring examples to start:

Jennifer Warnes "The Panther" from The Well - small details (microdynamics), stereo speaker performance, female vocals

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio "Midnight Sugar" from Midnight Sugar
how a piano sounds!

We'd probably need about 30 tunes. The tunes could be from vinyl as well since I have the capability to record vinyl to CD.

Jeff

I've got a MoFi "DSOTM" on vinyl if there's anything on it that would be helpful.
I don't use it, but others seem to feel it's the sine qua non in some instances.
I also have several test records and several manufacturer test LPS (Ohm, KLH, Fisher, JBL, Teac).
I'll bring the vinyls to our next meet. :yes:

Great idea ! Give me some time and ill throw a few songs at ya.

Blues in the Night -- Mel Torme and Buddy Rich, Together Again for the First Time There is a passage with Mel accompanied by tuba, where the tuba goes low, and other passages which highlight response to sudden dynamic changes.

Edit: I still have a sealed direct-to-disc copy of that recording, if you want to use that.

I think I have some sheffield labs test discs around my place from back in my car audio days that had some good reference tracks.

OK folks cool. Bring stuff over but.....the purpose of the thread is to compile a list of actual tunes.

Here's another:
Dave Brubeck "Blue Rondo a la Turk." Just getting back into this after Andyman GAVE (yes, gave...thanks dude) me a Columbia two-eye on Friday. I have the CD but the LP is something special. The sound is simply stunning - solid bass, great drums, airy symbols, great horns - and it's an old crackly pressing whose ocassional pops and ticks I can completely ignore. If you're sick of "Blue Rondo.." I would also choose "Take Five" itself but any tune on this one is a keeper.

Keep listing tunes.

Jeff

Blues in the Night -- Mel Torme and Buddy Rich, Together Again for the First Time There is a passage with Mel accompanied by tuba, where the tuba goes low, and other passages which highlight response to sudden dynamic changes.

Edit: I still have a sealed direct-to-disc copy of that recording, if you want to use that.

I'm not breaking the seal on that man:nono:

Play it first then bring it over:D Just kidding. I think we can make do with CD copies for the most part. I was thinking about disks not available in any other format.

I don't know this recording or tune either and I'd like to hear it. Sounds very interesting.

Jeff

I've got two open copies, and I think it's available on CD, but I still have one sealed copy. I've given away a couple of sealed copies, but I did keep one. My other copies were used, when I bought them, so maybe we should open this one, and give it a listen.

It's great music, too. Grumpy has a copy, if you are over there.

Nils Lofgren - Keith dont go

Since no one else mentioned it yet...Nils Lofgren "Keith don't go" from the album Acoustic Live.

I use this solo acoustic track for critical listening of male vocals and acoustic guitar. There is some good high frequency stuff in there too.

Interestingly, Grumpy let me borrow Luther's (WardsWeb) reference recordings disk and that disk had Nils' song Keith Don't Go on it. A good song and a cool live recording. WardsWeb's disk and Grumpy are what started me thinking about this whole reference disk thing in the first place. Good to know other folks enjoy this cut too.

Jeff

How is this going to be recorded-PC or CD burner? Both ways are significantly different in the end results no matter what PC software you use IMO.

As far as a good reference song for checking Female vocals, imaging, and ambience is Patty Griffin's 1000 kisses CD first song, Rain.

I find these will hypnotize on a good system and annoy on a bad system:

Dead Can Dance - Yulunga, Ariadine, or Emmeleia - sense of space, 'blackness'
Dead Can Dance - Song of the Stars or Devorzhum- well, just because

There also there is:
Mark Knopfler - Private Investigations -
you should be able to hear him entering and leaving the studio distinctly. If there is any flabbiness, don't bother.

How is this going to be recorded-PC or CD burner? Both ways are significantly different in the end results no matter what PC software you use IMO.

I'm assuming by CD burner you mean a standalone, CD recorder? If so, I've never tried a standalone CD recorder.

I intend to use a PC to burn the CDs. I'm using EAC to rip and I burn with Nero at the lowest speed I can with my burner. Results are pretty good....actually, results are excellent as far as I can tell.

Any recommendations?

Jeff

I'm assuming by CD burner you mean a standalone, CD recorder? If so, I've never tried a standalone CD recorder.

I intend to use a PC to burn the CDs. I'm using EAC to rip and I burn with Nero at the lowest speed I can with my burner. Results are pretty good....actually, results are excellent as far as I can tell.

Any recommendations?

Jeff

Just curious Jeff, I never had much luck on a PC. And yes I mean CD recorder, my bad, LOL. By the way Jeff its Tom. :)

Just curious Jeff, I never had much luck on a PC. And yes I mean CD recorder, my bad, LOL. By the way Jeff its Tom. :)

I like the PC route. I've had good luck so far. I can show you a couple of programs and tweaks for recording via PC if you come by on Saturday.

And yes, I realized it was you, Tom. Who else would name themselves after a French speaker :D

Jeff

I find these will hypnotize on a good system and annoy on a bad system:

Dead Can Dance - Yulunga, Ariadine, or Emmeleia - sense of space, 'blackness'
Dead Can Dance - Song of the Stars or Devorzhum- well, just because

There also there is:
Mark Knopfler - Private Investigations -
you should be able to hear him entering and leaving the studio distinctly. If there is any flabbiness, don't bother.

OK I don't have any of these. I'll have to dig up some Dead Can Dance - haven't listened to them for a while. I know the Knopfler...but I'll have to find a copy. Thanks for the suggestions and what to listen for:yes:.

Jeff

And yes, I realized it was you, Tom. Who else would name themselves after a French speaker :D

Jeff

Somehow, it always comes' back to Newman's Classic thread........

"Trianglezerius' Iron Law:

* Must be mfg in France or China
* Good Stereophile Review
* Not Old

This can be overridden by Kuma Booty Shaking Approval"

:lmao: :lmao:

burning the reference disk...

I've only done this twice...really, its true...so I'm curious as to whats involved and how everyone actually does this.

See you all tomorrow (yes Tom, I am actually coming) and looking forward to hearing some of these proposed SMAC reference tracks...and having someone explain to me how you transfer an LP track to a CD :screwy:

Back
Top Bottom