SMAC Thoughts

I'd like to hear that Mulligan set,provided of course that you get up & flip the record.

I went to Encore today,bought one LP (Lucinda Williams - World Without Tears),& three CDs.Somebody's gotten in there & cleaned out all the good shit.

Probably one of your other personalities.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

Much to my chagrin, I now have 3. My Morning Jacket's Circuital, the Three Blind Mice's box set and I just bought the ORG reissue of Gerry Mulligan's What is There to Say. All fantastic slabs of vinyl bliss! The last two are too good to miss.

Dave, That, What is there to say? is a wonderful title...

Happy Listening (enforcer)! :beatnik:

OK, so we've gone far afield of the original question/s. Do we have a consensus as to what we are going to do? I proposed 2 "sides" Take Five and a "side" the host wanted us to here. Another proposition was 2 or three tracks the host selected. And a third was for just Midnight Sugar. Other ideas were proposed. Could we try and get back to discussing those?

Do we have a consensus as to what we are going to do?

Seems "A Consensus" is a thread killer there buddy.

I like the idea of the host getting to play a side and tell us why he likes it on his kit.

I am not familar enough with 'Take 5' to use it as a comparision to my or to others systems.

Seems "A Consensus" is a thread killer there buddy.

I like the idea of the host getting to play a side and tell us why he likes it on his kit.

I am not familar enough with 'Take 5' to use it as a comparision to my or to others systems.

Actually I don't feel Take 5 is a good choice either for a test piece.
It sounds good on just about any system, and doesn't really "test" it.
A test piece to me should have vocals as well, with a good an wide range.

Now having said that, I do not believe the test piece HAS to be something
that everyone knows real well, yah it would be great if it was, but if it is a
piece we start playing at every meet it will get known in pretty short order.

To me the test piece isn't as much about the music as it is the system playing.
(it does have to be well recorded in all phases so we have a good control piece)

I keep thinking about what I might play to the five people at a time who can fit into the listening closet, err, room and I keep thinking that whatever demo I do eventually come up with, trying to meet the diverse criteria and exacting standards set forth by the group, might well indeed show off what the system doesn't do well rather than what it does well, which is an interesting place to start too, I guess.

I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it ...

I like the "host decides" on a couple of tracks idea. No criteria other than the desire of the host - they don't even have to be system "show-off" tracks, just whatever the host deems appropriate.

The only criteria is: quiet while the tracks are playing, please.

Jeff

Well, the whole Take Five thing was not so much a definitive test, but a common point of reference. The thought is that if we play something most folks know and are familiar with it will help benchmark the system in their ears vs. their home rig. It was by no means any sort of "test" per se, just a place to start.

Quite often, I go home and listen to stuff that impressed me at meets to see how my rig stacks up, or what it could do better. This is just putting the horse before the cart. "Take Five" was just tossed out because it's a well known title that I'm guessing most folks own. Anything really could be used, as long as it is a decent recording and common to most members.

Jeff's and Andy's thoughts echo mine. That's why I proposed doing both. A set of "standard" tracks along with the host's "choice" tracks. I too don't care about the Take Five thing per se, but I would be in favor of that as I bet the vast majority of us have it in one format or another.

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯ `· .¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>‏

I like the "host decides" on a couple of tracks idea. No criteria other than the desire of the host - they don't even have to be system "show-off" tracks, just whatever the host deems appropriate.

The only criteria is: quiet while the tracks are playing, please.

Jeff

+1

Happy Listening (enforcer)!:beatnik:

Back
Top Bottom