Small CD deck

Budward

Hi all,

Perhaps a bit off topic. I'm looking for a really small and unobtrusive CD deck, vintage or modern, to play through the phono jack of a 1940s vintage radio. It would tickle me to find one with roughly the form factor of an external USB HDD. tiny display or none at all, completely controlled by the remote. Failing that, a simple and compact player like the Tivoli Model CD.

Google is usually your friend, but I'm striking out so far.

Plugging anything besides a turntable into a "phono" jack would be a mistake for two reasons. First, a phono input is equalized for the RIAA curve. Second, a CD player will most likely overdrive the input. Peace and goodwill.

I had the same thought.

On the Antique Radios Forum, a number of folks have said that the jack works well for iPod and other line level inputs. The switch on the cabinet says phono-TV. Makes me wonder if the optional turntable in the 40s had its own preamp. I've got schematics for it. I'll have a look. Anyway, I've got to do the refurb on the radio before I'm actually ready to try anything.

A 40's era radio's phono jack will be an unequalized line level input. High output crystal cartridges were common in that era, with most of them producing 2 to 3 volts of output. Line level outputs of modern era CD players and such are 2.2 volts. So, you are good to go.

A 40's era radio's phono jack will be an unequalized line level input. High output crystal cartridges were common in that era, with most of them producing 2 to 3 volts of output. Line level outputs of modern era CD players and such are 2.2 volts. So, you are good to go.

Ooh. That's cool. Thanks.

you could use an inverse RIAA (MCM used to have these for about $10) (or build one - about 3 caps& resistors per channel) and
send the discman/Walkman/android/cassette player output through this into your phono input.

I have an inverse RIAA filter to have my portable CDP as a source when I repair/upgrade preamps and want to test both
phono and Aux-level signals.

You could use a small DVD player that will play an audio cd disc a lot of them are real small now and it runs on 110 so you are not looking for a 12 v source in the unit

Found this Sony at the thrift for a few bucks. No remote but I have several Sony remotes that operate it just fine. It's about 9 inches wide and an inch tall. Tucks nicely between the legs of my 32 inch Sharp ROKU tv. Thrift stores may be the answer.

IMG_2277.JPG

Plugging anything besides a turntable into a "phono" jack would be a mistake for two reasons. First, a phono input is equalized for the RIAA curve. Second, a CD player will most likely overdrive the input. Peace and goodwill.

Well... maybe. If it was designed for a ceramic cartridge you might not need the RIAA but not sure if impedance would match up OK? Line level can be attenuated if it's too hot.

Also, if pre-1957 it'll be mono for sure

Back
Top Bottom