Small job on AU999, BIG job on AU-X1

Kevzep, not sure what you are using for brown-glue, but I use various implements that don't scratch the PCB/silkscreen. Various guitar picks for large areas. Filed down to a flat edge, knitting needles, and even hard timber, sliced chopsticks. They are cheap, very strong but not sharp or abrasive, easy to expose a new edge too when they wear.

sidecutters.jpg
Thanks Pete, I'm going to order a set up right now.!!

Better than using the long nose pliers to hold the excess.......

Yeah, I find them invaluable! Given their modest price, I bought a few for spares.

You can see the little sprung 'fence' that prevents the snipped excess leads from flying away.

Kevzep, not sure what you are using for brown-glue, but I use various implements that don't scratch the PCB/silkscreen. Various guitar picks for large areas. Filed down to a flat edge, knitting needles, and even hard timber, sliced chopsticks. They are cheap, very strong but not sharp or abrasive, easy to expose a new edge too when they wear.
I need to find a better way, and that sounds like a good idea....Guitar picks!! I have plenty!!

Starting to put this beast back together now, lots of caps, lots of MV12 diodes.....
I'm really not a fan of how the output sections fit into the chassis, very tight quarters to work with, especially when you have to run the iron so hot for some of these connections.....Not much else to report, switch cleaning and pot cleaning, should have this thing fired up soon....
IMG_4688.JPG IMG_4689.JPG IMG_4690.JPG IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4693.JPG IMG_4694.JPG IMG_4695.JPG

This is how far we got today, going back together awkwardly as they do!!
Looks like I might actually have to fire it up with the front boards all loose so I can get to some of the DC offset adjustments on one of those boards...I'll have to secure things to make sure nothing shorts out...
Should be an interesting exercise...IMG_4698.JPG IMG_4699.JPG IMG_4700.JPG IMG_4701.JPG IMG_4702.JPG

Pictures do tell the story, which we all enjoy. Yours are thoughtfully composed, with good focus and lighting.

Thanks - - -

Thanks Steve, yes minimal words, lots of pictures, I think today I might be lighting the fuse on the X1...I'll see how we go...

Well, its in bits again. Unit powered up, protection relay released and it turned on, however, we have voltages all over the place, regulated supplies are really wonky.....Something is not right, I didn't have time to go very far into it, but I did a quick component check and nothing is out of the ordinary there, only thing I can think of is I may have missed a ground somewhere, or maybe I have to have those boards mounted to the chassis for grounding....
The way most of the voltages are off is indicating no ground reference......I will not be able to do too much tomorrow as real work is happening.
So, retracing steps will be the first thing, finding the missing ground reference...

I'm not so sure this thing was actually operational when purchased like it was supposed to be....

Well, its in bits again. Unit powered up, protection relay released and it turned on, however, we have voltages all over the place, regulated supplies are really wonky.....Something is not right, I didn't have time to go very far into it, but I did a quick component check and nothing is out of the ordinary there, only thing I can think of is I may have missed a ground somewhere, or maybe I have to have those boards mounted to the chassis for grounding....
The way most of the voltages are off is indicating no ground reference......I will not be able to do too much tomorrow as real work is happening.
So, retracing steps will be the first thing, finding the missing ground reference...

I'm not so sure this thing was actually operational when purchased like it was supposed to be....
I know you have a lot more experience with electronics than I do but the same thing happened to me when I first powered mine up (voltage's all over the place)JOMARK911 gave me some advise to let the electrolytics settle down for awhile and so I turned it back on and let it sit there for an hour or so and after that I was able to dial everything in..

I know you have a lot more experience with electronics than I do but the same thing happened to me when I first powered mine up (voltage's all over the place)JOMARK911 gave me some advise to let the electrolytics settle down for awhile and so I turned it back on and let it sit there for an hour or so and after that I was able to dial everything in..

No offense to Jomark but I've never had to "let electrolytics settle down" before. The voltages are way off, +/- regulated voltages all over the place and way off balance indicating no ground reference, I'll know more in a few hours when I get to it again.
But any advice is always welcome and food for thought, thanks for replying.

It will be interesting to hear the tale of how you methodically track this one down. What are your plans?

Well, started with following the grounding scheme through the amp, and I suspect there may have been a Muppet in there, didn't take long to find the missing link so to speak, the regulated supply board now has ground reference, so once I sorted that I was able to trim the voltages up to perfect, then of course everything fell into place around it, so the power amp is running well now.
We have an issue when the Head amp boards are installed, I am about to check these out to find what the issue is exactly.....There's some kind of imbalance putting huge DC through the signal path...
So anyway, working away methodically from the top to the bottom....I am praying I don't have any of those small relays playing up, that is not going to fun or cheap to resolve....

Looks like this at the moment....
IMG_4705.JPG

Well, started with following the grounding scheme through the amp, and I suspect there may have been a Muppet in there, didn't take long to find the missing link so to speak, the regulated supply board now has ground reference, so once I sorted that I was able to trim the voltages up to perfect, then of course everything fell into place around it, so the power amp is running well now.
We have an issue when the Head amp boards are installed, I am about to check these out to find what the issue is exactly.....There's some kind of imbalance putting huge DC through the signal path...
So anyway, working away methodically from the top to the bottom....I am praying I don't have any of those small relays playing up, that is not going to fun or cheap to resolve....

Looks like this at the moment....
View attachment 962841
I replaced all of those relays with omron G5V-2-DC24 thru hole but you need to rearrange the pin out as seen in previous threads..

I replaced all of those relays with omron G5V-2-DC24 thru hole but you need to rearrange the pin out as seen in previous threads..
Yes I suspect I'll be heading in this direction, I've already dismantled some of the switches for cleaning, thans for the part number, I think I saw a good diagram of the modification necessary to fit those relays...

Yes I suspect I'll be heading in this direction, I've already dismantled some of the switches for cleaning, thans for the part number, I think I saw a good diagram of the modification necessary to fit those relays...
not to tough you just need to solder some longer legs on them and cris cross them like this pic..20160623_205156.jpg

Back
Top Bottom