Small Room Decor Set Up Help

kbuzz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hello All I am severely cosmetically/"decorially" and space challenged (no really) and id appreciate any help, with set up and arrangement suggestions for my amps/ TT etc. in my small attic space. Ive attached pix and after much experimentation, the speaker set up is probably fixed as the best location. So the question is the
best looking way and method to set up equipment. Do I want to go with a small horizontal shelf? A vertical? A combination of both?

Im Open to suggestions, but would like to avoid an open salamander rack and anything DIY. Thanks in advance for the assistance in interior decorating...

A starting point I was thinking about something like this, its a tad wide at 50" but would avoid the black metal dorm look. But honestly, i have no idea.

Here’s a few shots of the mess....

52lyAoB.jpg

0QIPEKw.jpg

wMMnhHS.jpg

Here’s what I’m hoping might work to clean it up

Marissa+50%2522+TV+Stand.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4930 (1).jpg
    IMG_4930 (1).jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4929.jpg
    IMG_4929.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4927.jpg
    IMG_4927.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4928.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4930.jpg
    IMG_4930.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
That's a nice-looking rack but (especially with such an aggressively asymmetrical volume) I'd do anything to move the system onto the long wall, even under the sloping ceiling. If you can bring the speakers out a bit from the wall, so much the better. Would offer the additional benefit (in winter) of getting the equipment away from the baseboard heating system.

From a decor standpoint, what is visually unappealing are the wires. A dark background would go a long way towards minimizing their visual impact. That open-air style rack won't help much in that regard, but perhaps a fabric curtain behind it would work. What would really help would be something solid that you could hide the wires behind. A two by two Ikea Expedit record shelf might be the right size, and if they don't come with a backing, some pressboard would work. Or maybe a simple chest of drawers...

And straighten that picture. ;)

Last edited:
I would say if you definitely want to keep the speakers where they are, and want it to look better.

1. Get rid of one of the two sets of speakers.
2. Locate all of the equipment on the same rack as that beautiful turntable. A low wide cabinet would be your friend here, maybe even a coffee table could be used.
3. Run the wires along the floor, in the corner where the floor and wall meet. Use white wires, and bring them up through the stands to the speakers, they will be all but invisible.
4. Remove any and all equipment from that "shelf" where it sits now. Use that space for decorative items, like a plant, or some books.

Everything on the short wall (with the door). I have the same type of “room” but much much smaller and that is what worked best for me.
E70DDDF2-3E56-42D6-86CF-347FE6E97195.jpeg

Some damping at the first reflection points, especially for the right channel would be efficacious.

Thank you everyone for responding...im digesting the suggestions....am i crazy to run two systems on on the short and one on the long wall? I dont think this would help the clutter

Thank you everyone for responding...im digesting the suggestions....am i crazy to run two systems on on the short and one on the long wall? I dont think this would help the clutter

I'd stick to one properly set up system. It will eliminate clutter, let you optimally place the speakers and locate the best listening position and apply appropriate room treatments.

Will you actually be placing a TV on top of your media console? If not, I'd go with something longer and lower and try to place it along the long wall. I haven't seen them in person, so I cannot attest to the quality of materials and construction, but Urban Outfitters has several media consoles that range in width from 37" to 60". Most include some room for media storage.

Everything on the short wall (with the door). I have the same type of “room” but much much smaller and that is what worked best for me.
View attachment 1267130

Have to agree with the Chief. In my experience locating speakers next to that sloped wall will create some strange reflections, much better sound positioning them backed up to the slope.

Have to agree with the Chief. In my experience locating speakers next to that sloped wall will create some strange reflections, much better sound positioning them backed up to the slope.

Funny, in theory you are one hundred percent correct. However I had this system on the long wall under the sloped ceiling for a few years. It sounds demonstrably better on the short wall.

Not sure why this is other than maybe bc the there is no wall behind the seating position. Kinda makes no sense given reflections under the slop when in the short wall position.

Wierd and this is why I started the post since the short wall set seemed counter intuitive

I'd put the gear on a rack, spread the speakers out as wide as they'll go on that wall, and find a nice decorative lamp (maybe something vintage?) to put on the ledge where you've got some of your gear right now. Consolidating the components and spreading the speakers out should make the space look bigger and simpler.

I'd put the gear on a rack, spread the speakers out as wide as they'll go on that wall, and find a nice decorative lamp (maybe something vintage?) to put on the ledge where you've got some of your gear right now. Consolidating the components and spreading the speakers out should make the space look bigger and simpler.

Thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting a vertical or horizontal rack. Here is my cheap temporary shelf.

Attachments

• F203D45F-53A7-4C75-9667-AC5703300C98.jpeg
    F203D45F-53A7-4C75-9667-AC5703300C98.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 50
Thanks for the reply. Are you suggesting a vertical or horizontal rack. Here is my cheap temporary shelf.

The rack looks good! I'd spread the speakers further apart. If you do you may need to use some toe in. The amount of toe in, if any, depends on how far away your chair is.

That certainly looks better and less cluttered, however, I am concerned about the tuner on to of the integrated amp. I'm not sure what make/model they are, but perhaps Sherwood, and perhaps tube units. If so, I'd definitely move the integrated amp to the bottom shelf to give it some breathing room and keep it from cooking the tuner.

That certainly looks better and less cluttered, however, I am concerned about the tuner on to of the integrated amp. I'm not sure what make/model they are, but perhaps Sherwood, and perhaps tube units. If so, I'd definitely move the integrated amp to the bottom shelf to give it some breathing room and keep it from cooking the tuner.

Thanks. Appreciate the advice on the ventilation The Sherwood’s are just in the shelf for show at this point.

I am in the process of finding a storage solution myself.
I have a cheap and relatively attractive console table from ikea which works well for my space but I am looking to upgrade to be able to display my stereo in my living room.

I really like mid century modern style so I am looking for something like this credenza manufactured by barzilay.
They no longer are in business but these units can still be had for the right price.

To me,
Getting the aesthetics how I want them is part of the whole hobby.

barzilay-tambour-door-media-console-credenza.jpg

Back
Top Bottom