Small room TT stand recommendations: Line Phono reviews?

northphilly

First post in a while. Just wanted to seek recommendations or opinions of turntable stand options for a small square room in a city rowhouse. Currently I'm using two old Sanyo floorstanding speakers and an old technics receiver with the turntable stacked on top. I recently upgraded to the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers with matching stands. I also purchased the newish Line Phono turntable stand, to replace my existing setup.

I have 1 wall to work with that has about 76 inches of space, 26" is taken up by a small bar at the center that must remain. My thought was to center the bar and the Line Phono and put the speakers on the outside and I'd be done. However, after putting together the Line Phono, my wife was not thrilled with the look. I must say I don't love the finish on the carbon Line Phono, but functionally it's exactly what I want.

Does anyone have the line phono stand? Is there anything else out there similar in size and functionality that just looks nicer? If I could afford it, I'd go with the Samson Turntable stand, but I can't swing that price. There's also a crate and barrel piece that would match the bar I have, that seems sturdy enough for my turntable, but also a bit wide. Anyone in a similar situation? What else is out there?

What is your budget? Are you interested in projects? On AK there are people who have built thier own with three or four threaded steel or stainless rods, hex nuts, flat washers, threaded feet, spikes or casters Various shelf materials and dimensions of thier choosing. MDF, birch, plywood, polycarbonate (tough plastic) will get scratched. Called Flexi audio stands. Try a search on this site and on net. If you did not want to make shelves, could find a woodworker to make them, from your drawing or sketch. You source rest of components from home centers, hardware stores or McMaster Carr. No affiliation.
There is Salamander brand stands, for one, not low cost, IMO. Assume have searched.

Last edited:
I appreciate the suggestion. I was hoping to make it easy and just find something out of box or vintage that just needed a little touch up. When I saw the line phono I jumped, but I don't love the look now that its constructed. A lot of the high end stands are going to be out of my price range. I was hoping to keep it under $500 since it's not going to be a large piece, no matter what I go with. Keeping up to date on Etsy woodworking as well, but really just wanted to get something setup soon since I've been looking for a while and want to get my new speakers setup finally.

Vintage can be right place and right time. You could post in Bartertown want to buy, locally, with discription and budget. Need to be a subscriber to do so. Can't do otherwise by rules.
Try antique malls, thrifts, consignment furniture stores. Good luck.

First post in a while. Just wanted to seek recommendations or opinions of turntable stand options for a small square room in a city rowhouse. Currently I'm using two old Sanyo floorstanding speakers and an old technics receiver with the turntable stacked on top. I recently upgraded to the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers with matching stands. I also purchased the newish Line Phono turntable stand, to replace my existing setup.

I have 1 wall to work with that has about 76 inches of space, 26" is taken up by a small bar at the center that must remain. My thought was to center the bar and the Line Phono and put the speakers on the outside and I'd be done. However, after putting together the Line Phono, my wife was not thrilled with the look. I must say I don't love the finish on the carbon Line Phono, but functionally it's exactly what I want.

Does anyone have the line phono stand? Is there anything else out there similar in size and functionality that just looks nicer? If I could afford it, I'd go with the Samson Turntable stand, but I can't swing that price. There's also a crate and barrel piece that would match the bar I have, that seems sturdy enough for my turntable, but also a bit wide. Anyone in a similar situation? What else is out there?

Seems to be Ikea quality level for 2-3x price. Is your floor based on concrete slab? If not, this thing is not for you due to vibration transfer from floor to top shelf.

Go to TNT-Audio and check out the Flexy rack. I built a dual Flexy 10+ years ago and haven't regretted it once. Once you see one you'll realize they are the utmost in custom setups.

The product that you may build is almost a clone of a Salamander Archetype stand for a lot less money.

Have seen a large Salamander in a Crutchfield ad under $450. not affiliated. Make variety of sizes and quality.

Last edited:
Have seen a large Salamander in a Crutchfield ad under $450. not affiliated. Make variety of sizes and quality.

I built a dual Flexy ~15 years ago. It had 6 shelves (now 5) per side. The largest expense ($50) was the box of nuts for the shelves. The washers are cheap. I bought a 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheet of MDF and had the lumber yard cut (total cost $35) it into 12 18 x 24" shelves for me. The threaded rods (IIRC) were $3.50 each. So, for less than $100 I got a 12 shelf dual Flexy for less than $100. The hardest part other than the tedious job of assembly was precisely drilling the holes in the shelves. If I had a drill press I'd have made a jig.

Oops, I forgot to mention the can of Krylon spray paint I used to paint the shelves black.:D

Going to look at some shops and craigslist this weekend, not sure I'm going to have time for a DIY. I just got these speakers and I want to set them up!

I recently posted a couple ideas in a similar thread here.

Adding to that, if you like the Flexi rack look/concept, but don't want to DIY, the Salamander Archetype is a commercially available version of the Flexi. Prices start at $179 for the 3-shelf model with free shipping and for less than your $500 budget you could get the 5-shelf model in walnut, cherry or maple.

I prefer the look of the Salamander Synergy, but it's more expensive. Still, you can get a basic 3-shelf model for about $350.

Personally, in addition to checking out your local craigslist and local shops, I'd recommend your local Goodwill stores. All my stereo racks, and much of my furniture has come from Goodwill. Some were actual audio racks, others were vintage furniture that I repurposed to hold my gear.

Good luck. When you get something, please post some photos for the rest of us to enjoy.

Going to look at some shops and craigslist this weekend, not sure I'm going to have time for a DIY. I just got these speakers and I want to set them up!

When searching craiglist, search both the electronics and furniture sections.

In the electronics section use search terms like rack, stand, cabinet. In furniture try stereo, media, entertainment, console, credenza, etc. You can also try well known brand names, in both sections, like Salamander, Sanus, Bello, VTI, Pangea, etc.

So after searching a bit more, I decided to give the line phono a chance and actually set it up. Once I got the other equipment out of the way and put the speakers together, I actually really liked the look. For my space, it's exactly what I needed. Ignore the off center painting and mirror and the lack of scotch options, will need to adjust. Out of money for now, but once I get a chance to purchase a new amp I'll have more space for records on the second shelf. Loving the Wharfedale Diamonds and the stands are pretty nice as well. Overall, if you have a small house, apartment, etc, I would recommend the line phono as a space saver with a decent look. Once it fills up its heavier and sturdier, though with my bouncy hardwoods, I don't think anything will be perfect. They're offering two other colors/finishes now. I would recommend looking for a promo code/sale like I did, since the retail of $399 is steep in my opinion.

Attachments

• Setup.png
    Setup.png
    666.7 KB · Views: 79
So after searching a bit more, I decided to give the line phono a chance and actually set it up. Once I got the other equipment out of the way and put the speakers together, I actually really liked the look. For my space, it's exactly what I needed. Ignore the off center painting and mirror and the lack of scotch options, will need to adjust. Out of money for now, but once I get a chance to purchase a new amp I'll have more space for records on the second shelf. Loving the Wharfedale Diamonds and the stands are pretty nice as well. Overall, if you have a small house, apartment, etc, I would recommend the line phono as a space saver with a decent look. Once it fills up its heavier and sturdier, though with my bouncy hardwoods, I don't think anything will be perfect. They're offering two other colors/finishes now. I would recommend looking for a promo code/sale like I did, since the retail of $399 is steep in my opinion.
Looks nice. You mention bouncy floors. The standard recommendation is wall mount the turntable to decouple it, if floors affect it. Enjoy.

Looks nice. You mention bouncy floors. The standard recommendation is wall mount the turntable to decouple it, if floors affect it. Enjoy.

This is exactly where I was heading. IME, a relatively simple, but stable shelf is much better than any similarly priced floor stand for a turntable. Maybe a "floating shelf" from IKEA, if budget & aesthetics are getting in the way.

Unfortunately, I don't see the wall mounted shelf being much sturdier than a floor stand with a lot of weight to it. Living in an older city row home means the walls definitely vibrate and in this particular case, the wall is attached to the stairs.

That Samson stand is gorgeous, but I couldn't justify spending more on a stand than the speakers.

If wall is attached to stairs, you may be correct. Don't mean to create a problem where there is not one. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom