Small room with one sub or two?

mizmazzle

Ok everyone, I know this discussion has been thrown about a lot...and believe me, I've done a ton of reading. But it's always nice to get info specific to your own situation, so here it goes!!!

I am wanting to add a sub to my listening room. This is a dedicated vinyl setup. I am wondering if it makes more sense to add one higher quality sub, or to try two slightly smaller subs with distributed placement. My budget is about 200 dollars. I am thinking of buying from amazon because I have a gift certificate to help with the cost a bit.

My room is about 10 x 12
Pioneer sx850
AR2ax Speakers
Sanyo Tp1010 Turntable

There are several options I have been considering:

Two sub options:
Polk PSW10
Yamaha YST-SW012 8-Inch
Pioneer SW-8MK2 (these would be a bit out of my price range at about 160 a peice)
Yahmaha YST-SW216 10" 100 Watt
Acoustic Audio PSW-8 300 Watt 8-Inch Down Firing Powered Subwoofer

any other suggestions

One sub options:
KLIPSCH 10" Front-Firing 250w Peak Powe
[URL='https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-SW-450-10-Inch-450watt-Subwoofer/dp/B002HWRK9S/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483729706&sr=1-9&keywords=home+subwoofer']Klipsch SW-450 10-Inch 450watt Subwoofer

[/URL]
Polk Audio PSW505 12-Inch Powered Subwoofer

any other suggestions

Why don't you consider buying a higher quality and larger diameter woofer,used on CL?. Those are very small/limited displacement subs you have chosen.

Why don't you consider buying a higher quality and larger diameter woofer,used on CL?. Those are very small/limited displacement subs you have chosen.

That's the kind of advice i'm looking for, thanks! I wasn't sure if I could expect better results from two smaller subs placed in different parts of the room, or if one larger, higher quality one would be more effective.

In a small room like what you have I see no need for a 2nd sub and I would recommend using 1 quality one. Getting that 2nd sub dialed in correctly is a real pita not to mention it's an extra box in the way along with all the wiring.

Well the Paradigm PDR 12 already sold :(
Be patient and wait till the next one comes along. There is no replacement for displacement, so don't buy a small subwoofer only to be disappointed the first time you play a recording that goes down to 20hz. Lots of cheap subs have sharp roll- offs in the low 30's

Some folks seem to like the Dayton sub 1200 route. Seems like a good place to start if your budget is limited.

In a small room like what you have I see no need for a 2nd sub and I would recommend using 1 quality one. Getting that 2nd sub dialed in correctly is a real pita not to mention it's an extra box in the way along with all the wiring.

YEah that makes sense...I think one quality sub will be the best starting point. I will save and be patient and find something that will make me happiest for the longest amount of time, instead of just needing to upgrade a few months or so down the line...

Be patient and wait till the next one comes along. There is no replacement for displacement, so don't buy a small subwoofer only to be disappointed the first time you play a recording that goes down to 20hz. Lots of cheap subs have sharp roll- offs in the low 30's

This is good advice. I think saving and waiting for something that works well with my room makes a lot of sense. There are so many options out there it's a lot to process for a newbie!

I went on a Klipsch kick for awhile. Bought a 10" model they made, and found it on CL for 80.00. It was the worst sounding speaker that I have ever bought,...... sloppy, boomy, muddy, etc. Proved again that you get what you pay for. Best case scenario for you is to find one that you can hear, before you buy it.

I got a real good deal on my Canton AS85-SC sub and it's PLENTY sub for my BR (appx. 10' x 12' like the OP's room).
That sub has a 8.66" aluminum cone woofer IIRC and is rated @ 100wpc (nominal) 150wpc (max).

Specs also say it'll go down to 25hz too (25Hz-200Hz).
Now I dunno if I truly believe it goes THAT low,but it definitely goes lower than I thought it would before actually hearing it.
And it's more than "musical" enough for serious music listening.
Not sloppy,boomy -or- muddy @ all,bass is nice & tight IMHO.
This despite being a (front) ported sub (as most say sealed subs are better for music).

Bought it NIFSB for $150.00 ( new retail is like $500.00+ !!! ).

What I liked about this Canton sub is it has a phase knob (0° -to- 180°) and a crossover control that goes up to 200Hz.
Both of which can be nice tools for use w/the Optimus Pro7AV I have over by my bed.
I originally bought this sub to use with my headphone/nearfield system as that uses Canton GL-260 speakers,but it got drafted for the main systems useage.

Main BR system is:
Adcom GTP-502 preamp (w/remote).
Vector Research VQ-115 EQ (in the EPL loop of the GTP-502).
Adcom GFA-535 MkI power amp (60wpc > 8ohms).
Adcom ACE-515 Power conditioner & start-up/shut-down sequencer.
A channel speakers = JBL LX-22 speakers (wall mounted via Pinpoint AM-40 mounts).
B channel speakers = Optimus Pro7AV (mounted under shelf/over bed with Realistic Min7 #40-2031 brackets).
RCA cables are all Hosa,speaker wire is OFC 16ga..

That system also has a Schiit Optimodi for the music coming from the desktop PC via the SB Zx soundcard's optical out.

Current sources are:
Tuner in the GTP-502
Cable box
Desktop PC
Samsung DVD/SACD player (HD-841 XAA)

That system is finally to the point that I'm really happy with it,so changes will be few & far between from here on out.
Not sure if the Canton sub will go back to the hp/nf system or not,we'll hafta see when i get the amp situation for that system figured out.

FWIW

Bret P.

Oh Lordy, I've gone down the cheap sub route before: it just ain't worth it. In the end I saved up for a nice SVS sub and what a difference it was compared to the cheap sub. You can look at Rythmik as well. 2 subs even out the bass response in larger rooms. I have a small room like yours and although there are nulls and peaks produced by having one sub, the room is so small that I'm stuck in one listening spot anyway. I optimise the bass for that spot. I'm told that having stereo subs aids in imaging etc. Maybe one day I'll try that. Good luck.

Oh Lordy, I've gone down the cheap sub route before: it just ain't worth it. In the end I saved up for a nice SVS sub and what a difference it was compared to the cheap sub. You can look at Rythmik as well. 2 subs even out the bass response in larger rooms. I have a small room like yours and although there are nulls and peaks produced by having one sub, the room is so small that I'm stuck in one listening spot anyway. I optimise the bass for that spot. I'm told that having stereo subs aids in imaging etc. Maybe one day I'll try that. Good luck.

So I ended up with a SVS SB 12 NSD. So far all signs point to WOW. I've only played my PIO sx850 through it on FM. My turntable is getting all tuned up in the shop and has been gone for almost two weeks. I'm going through serious withdrawl. All y'alls input has been really helpful. This sub is sealed and really has a way of just rumbling there all tight and low. It has the phase and crossover controls as well. I've been able to get some smooth blending with my ARs. But the radio sucks haha. Can't wait to get it fully dialed with my TT. You're right snoober. The room is so small it's tuned in to one ideal listening spot so I plan to make that one spot the shit!!!

Congratulations on your new sub!

One thing to consider for the future is adding a 2nd sub (I know you were considering it in your original post), but I'd go with another SVS to match what you have now. And, place them as you would your speakers i.e. in a stereo configuration, rather than in different locations in the room. 2-channel music is different than say the surround mix on a movie where there is only one mono LF signal - even when the A/V receiver has multiple sub outputs. Even though the LF signal in music may be non-directional, it does carry spatial cues that give depth to the recording.

In my setup - and by no means is it a great, audiophile, prohibitively expensive setup - I've got 2 subs (Atlantic Technology 172 PBM) setup just outside and a bit forward of my Paradigm Studio 20s. The improvement in soundstage, especially with acoustic music, was very noticeable from my initial configuration with a single, centered sub. In fact, adding stereo subs was probably the biggest improvement in my room!

I'm another believer in stereo subs. Distributed bass yes, stereo bass even better.

Congratulations!! That is a fantastic sub. I have the smaller SB1000. I hear you guys about the stereo subs: I will try that when I can swing the cash. Congrats again, mizmazzle.

I'm another believer in stereo subs. Distributed bass yes, stereo bass even better.
I running stereo subs in my system . I just added a Mini DSP 2x4 for a sub crossover . This device will let me control 4 subs with a dash board on my lap top . I am going to add 2 more in the mix and see where it goes .

Congratulations!! That is a fantastic sub. I have the smaller SB1000. I hear you guys about the stereo subs: I will try that when I can swing the cash. Congrats again, mizmazzle.

Ok guys, here is my new situation. I just got my TT back and am trying to get the sub to blend with my speakers. The problem is this....just using FM stereo from my receiver the sub sounds great and puts out amazing performance. When I use my turntable, the sound is much weaker. If I use to much gain or crossover, it slowly start to rumble until it sounds all muddled and blown out. Not sure what is going on...with FM its tight, punchy, and LOUD!!!....on the TT the performance seems weak and super muddled and then that slow vibration builds and it just goes all blown out.....any thoughts here?

Back
Top Bottom