Smart power strip for power amp?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Can anyone recommend a good smart power strip? I'm putting together a stripped down bedroom system based on a Oppo BDP-103. I'd like to be able to power down a power and automatically (currently using a Dynaco ST-120) when the Oppo is put in standby. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Currently have two Dynaco ST-120's connected to a Rocketfish cord from Best Buy. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for though. When the pre plugged into the master control outlet is powered up the equipment (the two amps) connected to the controlled receptacles also power on.

I used this to make things simpler for my lady, one touch operation. I've also added one to another system, it powers up the tuner and a few other pieces when the integrated amp is powered up.

10213206.jpg

20151116_191359 (1).jpg

yes that is exactly what I was trying to do. Don't like leaving a 50 year old unrestored amp powered on all the time, but at the same time I do understand her desire to be able to change the volume via the remote and also power the "system" on/off.

Anyone else have any recommends? I'm a little hesitant to buy one that doesn't have an adjustable current threshold because I'm using an Oppo BDP-103 as the "center" of this system with a Roku and a cable box feeding it, and I'm sure the Oppo draws standby current. How much I don't know, I just moved all my stuff, you think I know where my kill-a-watt or clamp meter are? <G> Looks like I'm ordering on line because I haven't seen any in stores yet...

I *could* use an AVR but honestly, I don't feel like buying Yet Another Piece of Equipment; my Harmony remote takes care of everything but switching the power amp on and off.

The strips that come up in an Amazon search are made by "Bits LTD" anyone use them? Or not so much? Of course I lashed this together and the Dynaco was left on overnight because the neon bulb in the switch doesn't work... really would rather not blow my Infinities if the Dynaco (unrestored and mostly unused since I acquired it) decides to s**t the bed when nobody's watching it. I still haven't even FOUND several receivers that the movers packed... of course I thought I had an extra that I'd moved myself so everything could get up and running seamlessly and then the kitchen system Marantz 1070 decided to drop the right channel the day after I got it set back up.

Another idea I saw was to cut/splice a USB cord to a 3.5mm mono phono plug cord which I thought was really elegant, but I don't think I have a power amp with that interconnection and aren't those usually 12V nominal? But if I could find a 120VAC relay with a 5VDC coil then I could build my own USB powered "smart strip"... like I need another project... Now that I think about it thought that would be a cool setup if I made one with one relay with a 120VAC coil to be controlled by a switched power recep on a pre and then another 5VDC relay that you could switch by USB, then I could use it with any "pre" with either switched power or USB. I could even get fancy and use a multi-voltage relay, but then you'd have to be careful to never power both "inputs" simultaneously...

Last edited:
Without thinking a whole bunch about different possibilities, one thing that came to mind for the amp was a receptacle/outlet adapter that could be controlled by the Harmony remote system. Maybe something like a Belkin WeMo receptacle/switch...if compatible.

Does such a thing exist? Much like smart power strips, all I find on a web search is products from companies I've never heard of and made in China.

Now that doesn't mean that Chinese automatically equals bad (Oppo is an example) but seeing reports of e.g. outlet adapters bursting into flames as was posted on the Amazon review of one product really doesn't seem like that makes a 50 year old power amp any *safer* to use... Yeah I know I should just suck it up and recap the damn thing but I have this pesky job I have to go to every day and things to pay for like gas, food, rent...

I mentioned one specifically by name.

Search on home automation stuff. "Zigbee" is another keyword that might get you somewhere.

But, if Made in China is a hangup, then your options I suspect are rather limited.

Well I am using an older Harmony - want to say 650 - so if whatever device doesn't accept RF commands then I won't be able to use it without buying Yet More Stuff...

Currently have two Dynaco ST-120's connected to a Rocketfish cord from Best Buy. Not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for though. When the pre plugged into the master control outlet is powered up the equipment (the two amps) connected to the controlled receptacles also power on.

I used this to make things simpler for my lady, one touch operation. I've also added one to another system, it powers up the tuner and a few other pieces when the integrated amp is powered up.

10213206.jpg

View attachment 771742

thanks for the heads up! i didnt even know these existed. i picked up a pair for $15 off ebay after you mentioned them. i am doing something very similar to you

Well I am using an older Harmony - want to say 650 - so if whatever device doesn't accept RF commands then I won't be able to use it without buying Yet More Stuff...

Most of the newer stuff works on RF or by link through WiFi.

I almost bought the 650, but then figured what heck...might as well go big so I got the Harmony Elite. Was in sale at BB at the time so it was $60 off MSRP and $30 less than any other place at the time - that I was willing to do business with, anyway.

thanks for the heads up! i didnt even know these existed. i picked up a pair for $15 off ebay after you mentioned them. i am doing something very similar to you

What are you using to control? An old pre with a hard power switch, or a newer pre or receiver that actually has a noticeable standby current?

I was assuming that Kingshead was using an older pre with no standby, but that was actually just based on picture, I could definitely be wrong. What I'd like to be able to do is use the Oppo's power state to control the Dynaco (or other power amp.)

Most of the newer stuff works on RF or by link through WiFi.

I almost bought the 650, but then figured what heck...might as well go big so I got the Harmony Elite. Was in sale at BB at the time so it was $60 off MSRP and $30 less than any other place at the time - that I was willing to do business with, anyway.

Might have to look into a RF capable remote anyway. As one of the inputs is a Roku Streaming Stick I am still stuck with at least two remotes, plus having to switch the amp on and off. Things to think about.

What are you using to control? An old pre with a hard power switch, or a newer pre or receiver that actually has a noticeable standby current?

I was assuming that Kingshead was using an older pre with no standby, but that was actually just based on picture, I could definitely be wrong. What I'd like to be able to do is use the Oppo's power state to control the Dynaco (or other power amp.)

newer pre with a tube amp (or a wopl400). we'll see if it works. i didnt think of standby current...

I got these in today and after some initial testing i think I may have a problem in my preamp not drawing enough current to turn it on. If I plug my receiver in the main it works fine. With my pre (currently parasound zpre) in the main it never turns the other outlets on. I'm going to try the other one and do some more playing but this may not work for me...

If your pre has a switched utility outlet on the rear all you need do is plug something with enough draw into the outlet, a tuner, DVD player, etc., could even be a small light. I've never tried something like a small nightlight but that might work.

Martin

Just checked and I see the zpre doesn't have a utility outlet, this most likely won't work for you unless you use something else as the trigger and plug the zpre into one of the controlled outlets along with the power amp.

Not sure of your setup but maybe the tuner, cd player, or even a table lamp could be the trigger.

Last edited:
If your pre has a switched utility outlet on the rear all you need do is plug something with enough draw into the outlet, a tuner, DVD player, etc., could even be a small light. I've never tried something like a small nightlight but that might work.

Martin

Just checked and I see the zpre doesn't have a utility outlet, this most likely won't work for you unless you use something else as the trigger and plug the zpre into one of the controlled outlets along with the power amp.

Not sure of your setup but maybe the tuner, cd player, or even a table lamp could be the trigger.

That's exactly the problem that I have. I am *only* using an Oppo BDP-103 as a "pre" and it has no switched power outlets. If it did, I could just rig a relay and everything would be good.

I'm using a cable box, also with no switched power outlet, and a Roku as sources. The cable box needs to stay on, and may be off in some situations, and the Roku is powered by one of the Oppo's USB ports. Both feed into the Oppo by HDMI inputs; HDMI out goes to the TV and 2-channel analog audio goes to the power amp and then two speakers bracketing the TV. This whole setup would work flawlessly if I could be happy with just TV speakers and didn't insist on using real speakers... but if I could do that I wouldn't be here then would I?

I do not have any remote controllable receiver which is why I'm liking this straight-to-power-amp setup, just need to figure out how to switch the amp.

That's exactly the problem that I have. I am *only* using an Oppo BDP-103 as a "pre" and it has no switched power outlets. If it did, I could just rig a relay and everything would be good.

I'm using a cable box, also with no switched power outlet, and a Roku as sources. The cable box needs to stay on, and may be off in some situations, and the Roku is powered by one of the Oppo's USB ports. Both feed into the Oppo by HDMI inputs; HDMI out goes to the TV and 2-channel analog audio goes to the power amp and then two speakers bracketing the TV. This whole setup would work flawlessly if I could be happy with just TV speakers and didn't insist on using real speakers... but if I could do that I wouldn't be here then would I?

I do not have any remote controllable receiver which is why I'm liking this straight-to-power-amp setup, just need to figure out how to switch the amp.
My second suggestion was to plug some other piece of equipment into the master outlet, the tv should work. This way when the tv comes on so will the devices plugged into the controlled outlets, you just need something with enough draw to trigger the strip. I've used a tuner in the past, so firing up the tuner would turn on all of the other equipment, including the preamp.

Back
Top Bottom