Smart TV--me not so much

SkyRanger

We just bought a new 4K Smart TV by Samsung (mostly for my wife, as she likes to watch Netflix and the like). We cut the cable about a month ago. There are two issues I have to solve. First, my 9 year old Pioneer AVR won't pass 4k or decode the latest surround formats AND my older Apple TV won't either. A new AVR would be a budget stretch at this time since we need to recover from the TV purchase.

Here is where I am not sure of what I am doing: Can I use the new Smart Samsung to receive the wireless signal and decode the audio and video? If so, can I just output the sound from the TV to an HDMI port on the Pioneer and let it send the audio to our 7.1 speaker system? This would put off the other difficult choice: which AVR and for how much? :D

Thanks!
GG

The TV is a 2018 Samsung QLED 75f, model #QN55Q75FMF (Costco buy) and my older Pioneer Elite is a VSX-21THX.

GG

can I just output the sound from the TV to an HDMI port on the Pioneer and let it send the audio to our 7.1 speaker system?
This should work just fine as long as the TV has the "ARC" (audio return channel) capabilities, usually found on the HDMI1 input.

The TV has ARC but the receiver does not appear to support ARC.

If you want sound from the TV/smart apps through the receiver you will have to connect it to the receiver by coaxial or optical. Then be sure to assign or enable that connection to the input selection used for the TV.

The project has hit a snag. I read glowing reviews of Samsung's QLED technology. Unfortunately no review that I read told me that Samsung uses a proprietary optical cable which connects to the TV and then to a separate "One Connect" box that has the other connections. The optical cable is tiny and delicate (and a really bad idea IMHO). I have the delicate touch of a bear in mittens, and I managed to kink the tiny cable as I hung the TV on the wall mount. Now I have to wait for Samsung to send me the $182. replacement part. :(

I will call Samsung later and see if I can wrap the little cable in electrical tape or something that will make it stronger.

For now, any connection to my Pioneer receiver is on hold, but THANKS for the tip!

GG

That sucks! The One Connect box is a great idea for cable management. Not so much for the frail "invisible" cable, though.

Yes, that definitely sucks. Thanks for the heads up. Fortunately for me the only connection I use on my TV is a single HDMI in. My HT processor takes care of all the HT inputs and necessary switching..

Unfortunately there are no component connections on the Samsung One Connect box—only HDMI, optical, and usb.

Good news, my $182.optical cable will be here on Tuesday. If there are no more challenges I can get the new TV hooked up to surprise my wife when she returns on Thursday.

GG

Doesn’t Costco let you return just about anything for any or no reason? I take a dim view of the people who buy things just to play with them for a few weeks and then return them, but in this case the cable replacement cost is so unreasonable I wouldn’t hesitate to take the whole unit right back to the store.

Costco allows very generous returns, AND I think the delicate, fragile optical cable is a disaster. However, I wanted to get the TV installed as a surprise for my wife while she was gone. I had a narrow time window, liked the TV, and decided to just bite the bullet on the over-expensive cable.

Back
Top Bottom