SME 3009 rewire?

I tried to search the turntable forum, and got some weird ad in response.

Anyway, I've lost one channel in an arm that was supposedly rewired before my purchase. I've never been into a 3009 before, and wondered what might make this 'arm different doing a re-wire.

I tried to search the turntable forum, and got some weird ad in response.

Anyway, I've lost one channel in an arm that was supposedly rewired before my purchase. I've never been into a 3009 before, and wondered what might make this 'arm different doing a re-wire.

May not need a rewire. Could just be a bad connection at the cart , the RCA connector end or a bad cart. I'd do a continuity test on each wire end to end first before doing any surgery

Don't lose any of the screws, they ain't american and they ain't metric. Some odd british size and I had to order em from...france.

So, I pulled the arm from the table, inspected the RCA conversion (no longer have the old 4-pin DIN connector) and found one disconnected hot wire at an RCA jack. Carefully re-soldered the wire, hooked the phono cable ground back up, attached the headshell/cart and presto, loud hum (60HZ, I believe) coming out of the speakers. The music was there, but at a super low level.

Time to go back in and see what I screwed up.

Don't lose any of the screws, they ain't american and they ain't metric. Some odd british size and I had to order em from...france.

The screws used are known as BA,which stands for British Association.This is a very old type,and was commonly used by precision instrument manufacturers and model railroad enthusiasts. They are available,but not easily!

Turns out to have been a different problem. The turntable (a TD-124 on a wooden plinth) wasn't grounded. Now it is, and the ground loop is gone. No hum.

Also, no music.

So, I install a DL-103 in an Orsonic headshell into the arm, and one channel still missing. Rechecked the headshell lead wiring diagram for the cart; it looked okay. Removed that cart and headshell, and put in another one (different headshell). Result: no sound, nothing. Time for a coffee break.

Well, its not the cables, the phono stage or the line stage. So, its in the tonearm, and I've got continuity from the pins inside the collar to the RCA jacks where the 4-pin DIN connector used to be.

I'm wondering whether 2 or more of the pins inside the tonearm collar have been pushed back and are no longer making sufficient contact with the pins in the headshell(s). Anyone run into something like that before?

The screws used are known as BA,which stands for British Association.This is a very old type,and was commonly used by precision instrument manufacturers and model railroad enthusiasts. They are available,but not easily!
And Garrards. I ordered a small baggy of them from a seller on eBay in Australia.

^^ You don't need that. it's ridiculous money anyway. If push comes to shove you can refurbish the connector.

I lost you buddy. What do you mean DIN? Are you referring to the SME stock terminal? It's British. It can't be DIN. Wars have fought over this. What's instead of it anyway? So I figure this is a detachable headshell SME 3009 - and you connect a different none SME headshell to the TA? You can measure the mV's coming out of the TT from the RCA sockets. It will tell you exactly if sound is emanating or not. Any pictures to sort this out for me?

Yup. Its an early 3009 S2 Unimproved w/detachable headshell. RCAs now where the 4 pin connector was, Tom. BTW, Alfred at smetonearms.com calls it a 4-pin DIN connector. Anyway, we're talking about the same thing.

There are a handful of pretty knowledgeable guys on the AK thread I linked to above who believed that replacement was the only fix . So, how do you refurbish pushed-in pins in an SME collar?

The pins are held in the collar with a type of Bakelite material which once cracked is almost impossible to fix. I have rewired and repaired dozens of the 3009 arms, not for everyone but not that hard, after a couple of dozen.

The pins are held in the collar with a type of Bakelite material which once cracked is almost impossible to fix. I have rewired and repaired dozens of the 3009 arms, not for everyone but not that hard, after a couple of dozen.

:rflmao:

Nope, the inside diameter is larger on the SME so the Technics collar will be very loose, also the azimuth screw will not line up.

Back
Top Bottom